Octavia mk2 tdi poor starter

hi i have a 56 plate octavia 1.9tdi and its a bugger to start first thing in a morning. It turns at normal speed but just dosent fire until oil light starts to flash and beep then it splutters into life and starts first turn for the rest of the day. Its every day without fail. Theres no fault codes stored. Any ideas anyone? Its not a big issue as it does always start but it annoys the neighbours at 5am every morning

this is the first ive heard of this on a 1.9 engine, but there is a huge thread on the 170PD engine which I have and mine has done the same thing from time to time... without going into too much detail, no one has yet found a definitive answer as to whats the root cause of the problem.. some people have replaced so many parts in the hope of fixing it and nothing has worked... seems to be one of those things!!! even VW/SKODA washed their hands of it once the PD engine was no longer in production!!

You may have more luck based on your engine being different, but if its a PD engine likely its the same thing...

Sorry I couldnt deliver better news and of course I could well be wrong, but search on here and you will no doubt see similar issues to what you are having described

See post number 10...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/269368-19pd-mysterious-starting-problems/?hl=%2Boil+%2Blight+%2Bwhen+%2Bstarting#entry3184295

Not sure if the new battery fixed it but you will be amazed at how many very strange symptoms diesel Octavia's can show when the battery begins to fail.

My car would start fine on a morning in sub-zero temperatures convincing me the battery was OK, a warm start later in the day, it really struggled. No way it could be the battery, starter motor I thought, I swapped the battery first (cheapest option) after advice on here. It worked a treat.

• 2 months later...