changed battery and columbus radio is dead won't prompt for code

I have a 2010 superb 1.8tsi and the battery went last weekend. I took the old battery out and a day later put a new one in. Car was totally drained.

With new battery all was ok other than the radio unit refuses to work. It won't even come on for a pin prompt. it was working well before,

Strangely my mobile phone still shows it is connected to bluetooth and the rear parking sensors blubleep although nothing shows on the radio screen.

Any help? I'm 30min from a dealer and they said when i called it would need to be left with them....... argghh

The radio won't look for a code as it's coded specifically to the car. This sounds like the radio has locked itself up. I had this happen once before and it reset once I'd left the car parked with the engine off for a while. If there is no sign of life from the radio such as the screen backlight or other indication it has power check the fuse too.

Thank you. I will check the fuse as you are right it is totally black and no reception. On the dashboard the computer shows the phone is connected to bluetooth.

Any idea which fuse number. Is it f7 f8 under the engine?

Cheers

james

The Bluetooth is a separate module to the Columbus so that may explain why your phone still connects.

I think it will be one of the fuses behind the panel on the drivers side inside the car.

Phil

There's a 20a fuse on the Quadlock connector on the rear of the unit. But usually when the unit is dead completely it's the main board which is fried. There's two lives to the unit and power is constant on one and ignition switched on the other. If the unit is completely dead and the permanent live isn't fused and working okay, then the unit itself sounds like it's ronnied. Possibly as a result of the power surge when reconnected. Good luck.

There's a 20a fuse on the Quadlock connector on the rear of the unit. But usually when the unit is dead completely it's the main board which is fried. There's two lives to the unit and power is constant on one and ignition switched on the other. If the unit is completely dead and the permanent live isn't fused and working okay, then the unit itself sounds like it's ronnied. Possibly as a result of the power surge when reconnected. Good luck.

So are we saying top tip number 1 is to pull the fuses for the Columbus if ever the battery is replaced????

I don't know, to be honest. It might be a one off, and I've not heard of such things causing this problem before (unless the battery was connected the wrong way round or something daft) but the fact that the battery replacement and the units death appear to be coincidental, it makes me suspicious that something is related. If the ignition was turned on when the battery was put on, would that cause a spike?

Ignition was off when battery connected and i connected the positive first then negative after taking negative off first when removing battery. Getting it checked next week by skoda as i need to take it in to get a radio code anyway

You won't need the radio code as the unit itself will be remembered by the car and will automatically restart when the battery is reconnected. Also, I wasn't suggesting you'd misconnected the battery (although reading what I wrote it looks like I maybe was), but I was saying that I've known many problems caused due to people connecting the battery the wrong way round. It makes a nice fireworks display. :D

Worst case ends up something like this "jump leads" disaster...

11.jpg

• 5 years later...