Memory Seats

I have just taken delivery of my new elegance.

I don't know if I have a problem with the memory seats or not , perhaps somebody could enlighten me.

This is my problem :

I can set the seats to the three memory positions and link each of my two keys to one position each.

If I enter the car using my key  the seat will go to my pre set but, if I manually move the seat before exiting and locking the  the car , no amount of opening or locking will cause the seat to move to the pre set position. I then have to re link the key with the pre set.

My scoda dealer claims this is normal, while admitting he is not 100% sure, he did plug in the car and found nothing wrong.

If my memory serves me right, this did not happen with my previous car as, I occasionally moved the seat back manually to exit the car and on next entry the seat resumed its pre set position.

Does any body else have this problem or a cure.

Gerry

I think the key remembers the seat position when locked so if you have two people using different keys it'll adjust based on what's saved on them.

From the manual:

When automatic storage is activated, the current positions of the driver's seat and the external mirrors are saved in the memory of the remote control key each time the vehicle is locked. When the vehicle is next unlocked using the same key, the driver's seat and the external mirrors assume the positions stored in the memory of this key1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the key remembers the seat position when locked so if you have two people using different keys it'll adjust based on what's saved on them.

From the manual:

When automatic storage is activated, the current positions of the driver's seat and the external mirrors are saved in the memory of the remote control key each time the vehicle is locked. When the vehicle is next unlocked using the same key, the driver's seat and the external mirrors assume the positions stored in the memory of this key1.

I agree this is what should happen.but, If I manually move the seat before exiting , the seat does not remember the pre set position of the key when it is next opened with the key.

I think we're slightly at cross purposes -

The key remembers the seat settings as they are when you lock the car (where you've just moved it to - *not* as per the pre-set).

I believe the dealer is right and it is perfectly normal..... It'll only set it to your setup when it has been changed by the other key....

For example.....

You use the car with key 1 and it's all setup for you... Then lock the car and go away..... Then next person comes along with key 2 and unlocks the car and it changes to key 2's setup. That person locks car and goes away... You come back with key 1 and it changes again and whilst in the car you adjust the seat yourself... you lock it go away then come back with key 1 and it doesn't matter if you've changed the seat manually it'll not change it back to the original key 1 setting because it knows key 1 opened the car last so it doesn't bother changing anything.... It doesn't know you've changed something manually because it's not got the capability to store that extra sort of info.... It'll only forget about the changes once key 2 is used etc.....

Hope that makes sense?

If the problem is because you move the seat to get out you have two options.......

If it's only an occasional thing just set position 3 to the position you would have the seat to exit the car just for ease of use.... Then the car may reset back to position 1 or 2 (whichever is set to your key) when you unlock the car again.

Or just have exit assist (or whatever it is called) setup by someone with VCDS that way the seat will move back when you remove the key and go back forward when you put the key in the ignition.

• Like 1

I think we're slightly at cross purposes -

The key remembers the seat settings as they are when you lock the car (where you've just moved it to - *not* as per the pre-set).

I don't think this is the case. Key always remembers the stored possition, not the possition the car is in when locked. (well not the key, but the car does remembering)

I also find it odd that you have to hold the memory button for the seat to move into position.  In my Allroad, you just have to press it once and the seat moves.  The health and safety people have obviously had their say.

I believe the dealer is right and it is perfectly normal..... It'll only set it to your setup when it has been changed by the other key....

For example.....

You use the car with key 1 and it's all setup for you... Then lock the car and go away..... Then next person comes along with key 2 and unlocks the car and it changes to key 2's setup. That person locks car and goes away... You come back with key 1 and it changes again and whilst in the car you adjust the seat yourself... you lock it go away then come back with key 1 and it doesn't matter if you've changed the seat manually it'll not change it back to the original key 1 setting because it knows key 1 opened the car last so it doesn't bother changing anything.... It doesn't know you've changed something manually because it's not got the capability to store that extra sort of info.... It'll only forget about the changes once key 2 is used etc.....

Hope that makes sense?

Yes that is exactly what happens but , in  my previous car a 2011 model   the seat always went to the relevant key set position  regardless of the seat position on exit.

It would seem that scoda have changed things. 

I also find it odd that you have to hold the memory button for the seat to move into position.  In my Allroad, you just have to press it once and the seat moves.  The health and safety people have obviously had their say.

If the key is in the ignition and the ignition is on one press is all that is necessary but, if the key is not in the ignition it is necessary to hold the button.

• Like 1

I don't think this is the case. Key always remembers the stored possition, not the possition the car is in when locked. (well not the key, but the car does remembering)

That is how I remember it with my previous car a 2011 model so it looks as if scoda have changed things

I use the memory functions. Once I am in the car with the ignition on I press No.1 once and the seat goes to my driving position. When I want to get out of the car but have not yet opened the car door with the ignition still on or off it does not matter I press No.3 and the seat goes to a position I want to exit the car so that no damage accumulates on the seat squab. I only have to hold the buttons if I do not follow the above.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Just been out and had a play with the memory seats and keys.

The key memory appears to be set by the position as it is when you lock it. To test, I set them a little different to the requisite memory as stored on the seat and checked if it moved when pressing the button after unlocking with the same key.

Switching keys with the each other after locking, and then unlocking moved the seat to that keys last remembered position (rather than the preset - tested as above).

Also, when I switched keys too quickly and too much, the seat decided not to respond very much - probably to protect the motors.

It's possible that the function has changed over the years, I can't really say - it's the first time I've had memory seats :) (mine is a Jan 2015 build). It is quite possible that it has.

Hope that is of some use - either way it seems that the best alternative is to activate 'exit assist' through VCDS, or use setting 3 as WaveyDavey suggests.

Actually - looking at the 2011 manual online for the superb, it does indeed look like it has changed and settings used to be directly assigned to memory settings.

Extract:

Assigning the remote control key to the memory buttons

After storing the settings of the seat and exterior mirrors, you have 10 seconds in order to assign the remote control to the appropriate memory button.

Withdraw the ignition key.

Press the unlock button link, after the successful assignment an audible signal will sound. The setting is stored with the memory button which you have selected.

Manuals here (you can choose the appropriate year(s)).

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/superb.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Superb_3T/05-2011/Manual/Superb/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=05-2011#!pageId=00202

I have done a few more experiments and the following would seem to be the system.

Different positions set on each key----seat moves to the assigned key position when opened..

If the seat is manually moved before exiting it stays in that position when   opened on next occasion with same  key.

Ex: Key 1 used and seat moves to  assigned position,  on leaving car seat is moved manually and car locked with key 1.

If car is opened next with Key 1 seat does not move but stays in position it was manually moved to when locking .

However if key 2 is next used --seat moves to key 2 assigned position .

It would seem that manually moving the seat before exiting resets the key memory to that position...

. .

Hope I explained  things clearly.

Thank you everybody for your contributions.

• 3 years later...
On 25/04/2015 at 16:48, fernrock said:

I have done a few more experiments and the following would seem to be the system.

Different positions set on each key----seat moves to the assigned key position when opened..

If the seat is manually moved before exiting it stays in that position when   opened on next occasion with same  key.

Ex: Key 1 used and seat moves to  assigned position,  on leaving car seat is moved manually and car locked with key 1.

If car is opened next with Key 1 seat does not move but stays in position it was manually moved to when locking .

However if key 2 is next used --seat moves to key 2 assigned position .

It would seem that manually moving the seat before exiting resets the key memory to that position...

. .

Hope I explained  things clearly.

Thank you everybody for your contributions.

So if you are leaving the car in the hands of a 18yr old greasemonkey, give the the spare key. 

So when they move the seat and lock car you open with No1 key and back it goes to your chosen podition. Only asking as been doing my head in for a couple of days now.