Metallic click noise on change of direction..

Only just noticed this from a standing start when the clutch is released i get a clicking noise from the front offside wheel area.

Anyone got a idea what it could be before i go looking? I'm going to use a pry bar to check for free play but at the moment there is no free play in the bearings and there is nothing wrong with the tyres. 

The sounds doesn't happen again until i either stop and go into reverse and start to roll back or harsh acceleration again.

Anything? 

Try parking type/full lock manoeuvre on undulating surface e.g. dropped kerb.

If it happens then and it's only the one click/crack I'd say bottom ball joint.

I'm in the same boat, literally started last week so when I properly diagnose it I'll post a link to cheapest source for part but I have to say there's no great rush to fix mine.

Try in an open area putting it on full lock, reverse and see if it clunks/clicks. Do both sides. If it does then deffo cv joint. Sometimes a very small click can just be a brake pad not retracting and moving slightly in the calliper carrier, or missing a pad retaining clip. I've also seen brake pads de-laminate so that the friction surface comes away from the backing which would also give a click until it falls out. I'd say it'd be worth if your handy to just strip the calliper and pads off, assess, clean them up and put it all back together.

Cheers,

Cal

• Like 1

Try in an open area putting it on full lock, reverse and see if it clunks/clicks. Do both sides. If it does then deffo cv joint. Sometimes a very small click can just be a brake pad not retracting and moving slightly in the calliper carrier, or missing a pad retaining clip. I've also seen brake pads de-laminate so that the friction surface comes away from the backing which would also give a click until it falls out. I'd say it'd be worth if your handy to just strip the calliper and pads off, assess, clean them up and put it all back together.

Cheers,

Cal

Thanks i was going to look at the retaining clip because it sounds like its coming from the brake calliper area.

:)

Thanks for all the tips.