Suggestions regarding bluetooth.. Tried everything! and a question :)

As you may be aware since December I have had issues with random disconnects from the rSap profile when using my Galaxy S3, a Galaxy Note 3 I borrowed from work, and a brand new Note 4...

It can go for a week, even longer with no issues  then just disconnect, 9 times out of 10 it will reconnect using the HFP profile not rSap...

Dealer have now updated the software on the Columbus, and 4 weeks ago replaced the actual module with the latest unit 3C8035730E... Since doing so it worked perfect for 3 weeks... Last week disconnected one, disconnected yesterday and today...

I have even installed the Android-rSap Bluetooth phonebook app as reading the internet VAG do suffer with issues like this when the phonebook play's up... That was yesterday so that is not my issue :( 

So, any suggestions??? I am ripping my hair out now...Lol

Radio? SIM Card? are the only things left...

It must be to do with the rSap and SIM access as it works perfect in HFP ....

Also,

When you add a contact to your phone, bluetooth connects and the message "Updated phonebook" or words to that effect appear in the Maxi-Dot, check phonebook in Maxi-Dot and the new contact is there.... Should the directory on the Columbus automatically update or do you have to manually update this?

Mine has updated Maxi-Dot but not the Columbus... 

You may have answered your own question, rSap is a PITA and for convenience HFP is the way to go, rSaps days seem to be numbered anyway.

Is there a reason you are persevering with rSap?

Like extra features of rSap, better reception, I get a signal in area's usually I get little or none, SMS etc ..  Just strange it worked faultless for the first 4 months... 

Do you have the ability to have another phone with you for a few days so as to prove it isn't that particular phone???? Could you swap phones with the wife etc.... for a few days just to see if the problem still occurs?

I have tried 3 Samsung phone so far.. no access to any other brands :(  Did it with my S3, a Note 3 and my new Note 4... went 3 weeks after the module was changed.... Just does it for no reason... 

Seems strange my S3 was great for 4 months then plays up :( 

How does your phonebook update? will adding a number to the phone amend both the Maxi-Dot and the Columbus at the same time? Mine only updated the Maxi-Dot... If I select update phone book on the Columbus it included the new numbers

I use an iPhone 5 but when i add a number to my phone's phonebook it automatically updates the phonebooks in the car as soon as it next connects.

Mmm... strange, better go out and check again.. .I know it came up on the Maxi-Dot updated, and the new numbers were there, but I did not see them on the Columbus... 

Could the Columbus be faulty and causing the drops in connection? Not sure how involved that is with the connection, I suspect very little as you only have to do all pairing etc via the Maxi-dot

Just a thought .. All my contacts were stored as Google contacts, not on the actual device... So, I have now transfered all of them to the device to see f that works better.. Google contacts showed 106 contact but the device showed zero.. 

**UPDATE** 

Well that solved the phone book update issue.... I copies all my contacts from just Google Contact to put a duplicate on the "device", just been out to the car having added another contact, bot the Maxi-Dot AND the Columbus came up with "Updated phonebook" and the number is now on both.... :) 

One down one to go.... Just need to sort this bloody rSap issue ...Lol 

Will take a look at that app... Does it always reconnect to the rSap profile?

I will see what happens today, I am a being "optimistic" I suppose, but I noticed that the contacts on the Maxi-Dot matched those of my phone, and if I added a number it stated "updated" but the Columbus was not being updated.. I have now copied the contacts from Google to the device and bot seem to update... 

Maybe a conflict? different contacts 

The only thing i notice when my phonebook updates in the car from my iPhone is that the preset numbers on the Columbus phone screen are lost and i have to program all 5 back in again.... The voicemail one still works though...

Not actually programmed any in mine, keep thinking about it Lol ... 

At least I have found out the reason the contacts were not updating on the columbus... They need to be on the device NOT just synced via Google contacts.. When I added a number yesterday just to Google contacts, Maxi-Dot updated not the Columbus, when I had copied all to the device as well, both updated. 

Just wish I could work out why it disconnects... Lol 

The only thing i notice when my phonebook updates in the car from my iPhone is that the preset numbers on the Columbus phone screen are lost and i have to program all 5 back in again.... The voicemail one still works though...

My phone book updates most days, but I "only" lose the Columbus presets maybe about once a month - on a seemingly random basis.

My phone book updates most days, but I "only" lose the Columbus presets maybe about once a month - on a seemingly random basis.

Mine may be the same..... It's just I've noticed it's done it around three or four times in the ten months i've had the car..... So maybe each time or maybe not.

I have a problem with my new car.  My Samsung Galaxy S4 worked great in my 2012 Superb in RSAP mode, in my new 2014 car it connects in RSAP mode and then disconnects a few seconds later only to eventually reconnect a minute or two later in HFP mode.  It will do this everytime I get in the car.

Any ideas, as usual I could have been talking Greek when I tried explaining this to the dealer.  He decided it was a safety thing to stop me sending texts from Columbus!

I had that problem with my old S3. It was happening because the phone was asking for confirmation to connect in rSap mode in my pocket and I wasn't seeing it. When I finally noticed it, I also ticked the "dont ask again" box and it was fine after that.

I've been doing some digging and it looks like the S4 has an issue with the new wi-fi version of the bluetooth module in the car, which I have.  It looks like I'll have to root my phone and then install the rSAP for Android app.  There is a slight chance that a new SIM card from 3 might solve my issue, so I'll give that a go first.

Details of what I've found are here.

I could of course just use HFP, but the 3 signal struggles to make it inside the car!

Mine can go 2 or 3 weeks (only use the car at weekends) and then do it.... I have ordered a PAYG SIM card (Different network - if my phone is unlocked - people say Vodafone Note 4's are but I would be surprised) to see if that works .. 

I have read that SIM cards can cause issues, and mine is an old one, I think I just transfered the last 2 upgrades, so about 4 years old

This may appear like a very silly question, but which network are you on? In my old Octavia I had the B revision module and my phone would connect on rsap without issue. I changed my car and the newer Octavia was equipped with the D revision, suddenly my S4 would connect via rsap for a few minutes then disconnect and reconnect on hfp. I could not resolve the issue, but like the OP I prefer rsap. I ended up returning to the dealer with who I had P/X my cars and sweet talked him into allowing me to swap the newer D module for my old B revision. result was I connected rsap with no issue. I then changed to a 2014 superb which cam with the D module and back to the connect / disconnect problem. I did extensive research with different phones makes, etc and if my or indeed any 3 network sim is in the phone then it connects on rsap and then disconnects, however, if I replace my 3 sim with any other network sim card then the rsap connection is rock solid. Clearly the incompatibility is with the 3 network sim. 3 customer services can offer no answer, I have been given a replacement sim by 3 but still the incompatibility remains.

This may appear like a very silly question, but which network are you on? In my old Octavia I had the B revision module and my phone would connect on rsap without issue. I changed my car and the newer Octavia was equipped with the D revision, suddenly my S4 would connect via rsap for a few minutes then disconnect and reconnect on hfp. I could not resolve the issue, but like the OP I prefer rsap. I ended up returning to the dealer with who I had P/X my cars and sweet talked him into allowing me to swap the newer D module for my old B revision. result was I connected rsap with no issue. I then changed to a 2014 superb which cam with the D module and back to the connect / disconnect problem. I did extensive research with different phones makes, etc and if my or indeed any 3 network sim is in the phone then it connects on rsap and then disconnects, however, if I replace my 3 sim with any other network sim card then the rsap connection is rock solid. Clearly the incompatibility is with the 3 network sim. 3 customer services can offer no answer, I have been given a replacement sim by 3 but still the incompatibility remains.

Interesting.... Mine has been changed to the latest "E" module 4 weeks ago, worked perfect for 3 weeks, then started to play up... When I collected the car new the end of June it worked perfect with my old Galaxy S3, until December time... I am on Vodafone but I have ordered a "3" SIM to try, if the phone is unlocked as a few say.... 

I am also going to order a "new" Vodafone PAYG SIM to try... I do have a new contract SIM which they sent with my new phone, but I am reluctant to change the SIM just in case I make things worse...

It may be shear luck, but on Friday after it disconnected I downloaded the Android-rSap Bluetooth phonebook app... having posted on there forum it is a know issue with VAG that the slightest issue with the phone book and it can cause, amongst other things disconnects...

On Saturday it failed again. :(

So, I noticed that having added a number to my phone, MAXI-DOT had updated but the Columbus had not.... I then worked out that ALL contacts were stored on Google and synced to the phone and not stored on the device, so I thought maybe a little conflict, the MAXI-DOT had one set of up to date contacts but the Columbus had an old set... 

Having now copies ALL contacts to the phone, as soon as it connected it updated BOTH phonebooks straight away... So it looks like the MAXI-DOT will sync Google and/or device contacts but the Columbus need them on the device... 

Sunday it worked perfect, connected to rSap before I went out I rebooted the phone as well ;) I also moved the phone from the centre console and put it n the drivers door pocket... almost on-top of the module Lol 

I am like you, like the benefits of rSap and better signal... 

I will see what it does this weekend... :) FINGERS CROSSED... :) But I will not hold my breath... Lol It is just so odd, OK for ages then plays up a few times then OK again...