Jumbo box auxilary plug

What can you plug into the auxiliary plug in the jumbo box, I pod ?? if so does it just play through the radio??

What else can it be used for

Edited by skippy41

My obvious suggestion for us with Columbus units that aren't DAB is a portable DAB radio in there and plugged in so as to get DAB on the Columbus.

Using the Aux socket, will of course only give you the sound. The car becomes a giant pair of headphones, you have to play around with the volume on the device and car until you find a suitable level. You'll still need to control what you are listening to from the device itself, as you get no control on the headunit (apart from volume) of what is playing through the stereo.

To be clear, do you mean the 3.5mm aux socket at the back of the box, or the larger rectangular socket that may be at the front. The latter is known as MDI and you can plug in your iPod / iPhone or with a different lead, USB disks with MP3s on. You get track listings on the columbus and maxi dot in that case. With the USB, it gives an option for a much nicer DAB install.

Its the 3.5 aux socket in the centre box, SWMBO got a double male wire plug, connected her iPod turned the radio but a message came up could not find player or words to that affect, so tried it in mine RNS 315 same message, what could be wrong??

On the Columbus, you have to press the Media button, then on the screen, select AUX. It should be similar steps on other Skoda / VW head units.

Yes did this, Aux wasn't highlighted, looked in setting nothing there either

I often make use of this socket, but find that the volume on the headset has to be up very high and the volume on the ipod/phone/whatever not too high to avoid it sounding nasty.  That's fine until a travel announcement cuts in and it sound like something has smashed into the side of the car because it takes a fraction of a second for the volume to turn itself down to the "announcement" level.  Apart from disabling the announcements and risking getting caught in a jam has anyone got a good idea how to get around this?

Do you have the volume on the device turned up to full??? I know on the iPhone the headphone volume is separate to the normal phone volume level so you may need to adjust the headphone volume on the device so it kicks out at a higher volume level then the volume on the Columbus etc.... Doesn't need to be as high.

Never had issues with having the iPhone volume up at full means it distorts the music.... Maybe the quality level of the music isn't too good hence it doesn't sound too good???