Columbus satnav

Hi

I've just ordered a new superb elegance estate 170 and keep reading comments about the Columbus satnav being very poor. Is this the case?

Also does it have the ability to add speed camera poi's ? Or does it maybe have them installed ?

Columbus is very good, all things considered. It has its limitations, but speed camera pois isn't one of them, and are very easy to install. I just spent about 20 seconds loading them onto a unit this morning. From the factory you might have various pois installed, but VAG don't install speed cameras as I reckon it's a legal minefield if someone gets trapped and there's no camera on the database.

I see you're in Newton Aycliffe. Just up the road a bit from me.

Edit: Mind you, it could be that the new Superb has the next generation Columbus, is that what you're getting?

Hi Rustynuts. Thanks for reply. I'm getting a brand new superb elegance so I've no idea if it will have the latest unit. Apparently skoda have stopped production now in readiness for the new models out in September.

On my insignia I can load pocket gps speed camera alerts using a usb stick. Does it work that way on the Columbus too ?

All SII's will have the 6.5" Columbus and the new SIII will have the 8" Columbus system.

To be fair, Columbus/RNS 510 is such an old system which was rolled out first in 2006/2007 Passat I guess and Superb got it in 2008. The touchscreen is resistive type unlike the latest Columbus which is 'capacitive' type which obviously is more responsive and easy to use. 

So, considering how old the system is...the SII Columbus is decent but I reckon all infotainment systems tend to have bugs & glitches which can really frustrate the customers. Having said this...I believe there have been lots of issues with the current Octavia's Columbus system! SIII will get the same 8" but I hope with better upgrades & more functionality, it works better. Time will tell  :notme:

I'm not sure what model you're getting though, that's the thing. Are you getting the last of the Mk2 model or the first of the Mk3 model? If the one you're getting is a stock vehicle that's already been built then it's got to be a Mk2, but if you've ordered one for delivery and it's going to be the next generation then it's a Mk3. However, as you've posted this in the Mk2 section (and I'm probably over complicating things and confusing myself in the process) we'll assume it's the last of the Mk2 and you have an original Columbus.

If that's the case then yes, just pop an SD card in and load the speed camera database on in 20 seconds.

You need the speed camera database in a format which the RNS can use, load the db3 file onto a suitable SD card, and insert it in the machine. Then it's simply a matter of telling the machine to import the data, and away it goes. Then there's a small matter of telling the unit to actually show the cameras on the maps screen. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the facility to audibly warn you of impending speed cameras, so you gotta keep an eye on the maps screen really.

The awkward bit is getting hold of a current database in the correct format. Pocket GPS have a paid subscription in place to limit the availability of the cameras to people who subscribe, then there's a matter of buying a suitable program to convert it to RNS format.

Hi Rustynuts. Thanks. It's def a S2.

I'm a pocket gps subscriber but the website doesn't show compatibility with skoda at all. Mind you the list is 2 years since an update. Can you recommend a programme to do conversion to rns format

Here is the link to the VW db3 creation tool..... http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/rns-510/poi-listen-sammlung.html

And here is the Brisky guide to how to use it.... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/

Takes me a couple of minutes to convert my PGPSW speed camera database whenever I update it....

• Like 1

Ditto WaveyDavey,

Just afew mins spent creating the .db3 file on the VW site and your good to go. Just make sure the filename is LONGER than 9 digits and that its stored in a folder called personalpoi on the root of the sd card.

With the PGPSW data base they also have other free pois for down load so you could add fuel stations, National trust places, wifi hot spots etc. The only limit is the amont of catagories the Columbus will take - can't remember the actual amount.

I have seen a post somewhere on here where audible warnings have been achived by linking a phone audio via bluetooth and using the audio output from that to give audible alert in the car through the ICE system. Phone needs to be running the PGPSW data base as well I guess.

Try this

Navman / Mio (ASC) [uK - Consolidated by type (Gatso,Mobile,etc) | pMobiles: Yes

On other satnavs I use the Speed Zone Complete version but due to the user poi catagories limitations of Columbus you have to use the Consolidated version in order to have all types of camera coverd.

Good Luck

Ditto WaveyDavey,

Just afew mins spent creating the .db3 file on the VW site and your good to go. Just make sure the filename is LONGER than 9 digits and that its stored in a folder called personalpoi on the root of the sd card.

With the PGPSW data base they also have other free pois for down load so you could add fuel stations, National trust places, wifi hot spots etc. The only limit is the amont of catagories the Columbus will take - can't remember the actual amount.

I have seen a post somewhere on here where audible warnings have been achived by linking a phone audio via bluetooth and using the audio output from that to give audible alert in the car through the ICE system. Phone needs to be running the PGPSW data base as well I guess.

That'll be me then.... :)  Post #28 in my project thread.....  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/321367-waveydaveys-superb-twindoor/?p=3871675

You need the PGPSW CamerAlert app on your phone for it to work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You don't need any software to convert the POIs to db3 format..... Just follow the guide on here and use VWs web service to convert them. ;)

I've got the pocket gps folder on my desktop , does it need to be renamed at this point or when you move the vw converted file to the sd card?

I've got the pocket gps folder on my desktop , does it need to be renamed at this point or when you move the vw converted file to the sd card?

Rename folder into PersonalPOI before you copy it to sd card. 

Don`t know, never used the converting program. But Columbus will accept only the folder called PersonalPOI.

Edited by linni

Did you download the correct format database? You need to get the database in either...

.ASC (Tom Tom, Igo, Navigon)

.CSV (Route66, Garmin, Navman)

.GPX (Garmin)

.KML/KMZ (Google Earth)

...format. If you downloaded OV2 then it don't work.

Also you need to load and format each speed camera type individually with the actual POI, a name, and a bitmap image. Then when you've loaded / formatted all the different categories you can build the complete database and name it whatever you want.

All SII's will have the 6.5" Columbus and the new SIII will have the 8" Columbus system.

To be fair, Columbus/RNS 510 is such an old system which was rolled out first in 2006/2007 Passat I guess and Superb got it in 2008. The touchscreen is resistive type unlike the latest Columbus which is 'capacitive' type which obviously is more responsive and easy to use. 

So, considering how old the system is...the SII Columbus is decent but I reckon all infotainment systems tend to have bugs & glitches which can really frustrate the customers. Having said this...I believe there have been lots of issues with the current Octavia's Columbus system! SIII will get the same 8" but I hope with better upgrades & more functionality, it works better. Time will tell  :notme:

I wonder if the 8 inch will fit the S2

A week in and I quite like the Columbus system.

For me the only things it lacks are speed camera warnings in the split screen and service areas, again in the split screen. My insignia nav did both of these but to be fair the Columbus does things like auto focus in, that the Vauxhall system didn't. The touch screen is a bonus too.