Google maps via bluetooth flaky voice navigation

I use Google Maps on my iPhone 5s quite a bit when driving. Depending on how it's feeling the voice instructions can play via the Bolero in 3 different ways:-

1. The Bolero will mute the music to approx 1/3 volume, then play the voice instruction, eg "keep right". When done, the music will ramp back up to normal volume. Perfect.

2. The music just stops and the voice instruction comes through like a *phone call* - the dashboard display says "Unknown number" then "My number". When done you then get approx 15 seconds of silence before the music restarts. Still working but very annoying compared to number 1.

3. The voice navigation does not play even when not set to "mute". Useless.

Anyone know why this would be or how to force it to play as in 1 above all the time?

• Like 1

In each of the 3 examples are you using the same music source or different? i.e. SD card, Bluetooth, CD, radio?

How is the phone connected to the car? BT, USB, Mitsumi, Aux?

Edited by Black_Sheep

How do you get your iPhone to send google maps navigation instructions through the Bolero?

With my Columbus it will only accept "music" or "phone call", the navigation or "in-app" sounds/speach doesn't come through the car audio.

You have a special app for that?

In each of the 3 examples are you using the same music source or different? i.e. SD card, Bluetooth, CD, radio?

How is the phone connected to the car? BT, USB, Mitsumi, Aux?

Always connected via Bluetooth. Very good point re the source, I haven't looked at that so let me do some testing...

How do you get your iPhone to send google maps navigation instructions through the Bolero?

With my Columbus it will only accept "music" or "phone call", the navigation or "in-app" sounds/speach doesn't come through the car audio.

You have a special app for that?

No I just installed the app and it all worked, except in scenario 3 above. Most of the time you do get something audible - maybe a setting in the app itself?