What cone filters do you have or suggest? MK1 VRS

Getting rid of the old panel filter and the housing for it to clear some stuff out of the engine bay.

Why?

Cone filters are for N/A petrol engines, anything other than paper won't filter finely enough to protect your turbo properly.

Why?

Cone filters are for N/A petrol engines, anything other than paper won't filter finely enough to protect your turbo properly.

Not sure that is correct, lots of people run cone filters on turbo cars.

Claims from K&N are such that the filters they supply are better than paper filters for filtration and air flow.

See HERE

• Like 1

Claims from K&N are such that the filters they supply are better than paper filters for filtration and air flow.

See HERE

Don't always believe K&N's marketing hype... sadly you can't have a filter that is 'better' than paper for airflow AND filtration. It's one or the other there is always a compromise! 

Very good read here that explains the science behind it and a few real world tests --> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm on how effective the various type of filters are in terms of air flow and filtration, not surprisingly paper is found to be the 'best' all round in terms of both filtration and airflow. 

Lots of people must be right, amirite?

A cone filter is designed with a flat end cap so that reversion pulses are reflected back to the cylinders pushing fresh mixture back into the combustion chamber when long duration cams are fitted.

None of which is applicable to turbo engines.

Please don't quote marketing drivel at me, I have real experience, as do many on the interwebs, go do a little research.

• Like 1

Please don't quote marketing drivel at me, I have real experience, as do many on the interwebs, go do a little research.

Ok, I won't quote anything at you as you are obviously an expert in the field of air filters and as you say are very experienced. Little did I know that a world leading air filter manufacturer was wrong, all the marketing is also untrue and there are thousands of turbo charged cars out there with knackered turbo's because of cone filters.

I am off to read mattbvRS link to learn a bit, maybe you wrote it sepulchrave?   :wonder:

I had best go and buy a paper filter too and replace my cone filter before any foreign objects muller the turbine.

Ok, I won't quote anything at you as you are obviously an expert in the field of air filters and as you say are very experienced. Little did I know that a world leading air filter manufacturer was wrong, all the marketing is also untrue and there are thousands of turbo charged cars out there with knackered turbo's because of cone filters.

I am off to read mattbvRS link to learn a bit, maybe you wrote it sepulchrave?   :wonder:

I had best go and buy a paper filter too and replace my cone filter before any foreign objects muller the turbine.

I'm afraid so James, you can either go into hostile denial or benefit from the information...

Oh wait.

• Like 1

I am waiting.... what is going to happen?  Not in denial, I am running two cars on standard filters and one on a cone.

I am not in denial, there is obviously an argument for each filter, be it paper or an oiled element filter, I read a lot of the issues people report about the oiled air filters is that of lean running and engine damage, usually brought on by over oiling the filter and coating the MAF sensor with oil and causing issue.

Paper filters are not without fault, you have probably seen on this forum pictures of paper filters sucked inside out when fitted to turbo charged cars, reduced air flow being the issue.

Both filters have a place in the market and looking at the number of cone or panel oiled filters on the market and in use they must work, as do paper filter.

Are the benefits as good as the manufacturers make out?  Probably not, in fact more than likely not, as with fuel additives, wild claims and no gain, ultimately it is down to personal choice what filter you fit, you pay your money and you make your choice.

Interesting youtube clip, performance vs cone or factory fit filters. It is by them Aussie lads but is quite interesting and relevant to the OP.

https://youtu.be/PAIxeQUSg-Q

Lots of people must be right, amirite?

A cone filter is designed with a flat end cap so that reversion pulses are reflected back to the cylinders pushing fresh mixture back into the combustion chamber when long duration cams are fitted.

None of which is applicable to turbo engines.

does a cone filter hurt performance on a turbo charged car?

does a cone filter hurt performance on a turbo charged car?

Yes, if it isn't filtering well enough, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that such filters flow more air because they don't filter so well and fine particulates hitting the soft alloy turbo impeller tend to erode it over thousands of miles thereby reducing available boost.

There are plenty of pictures of eroded impellers caused by poor air filtration.

Which is why my favoured solution is the S2000 paper cone, it's the best of both worlds.

I went for the jabbasport cone in a box filter, but if your getting rid of the whole air box as well, I'd go for a K&N one. Tried and tested really, sounds good for pub talk as well :D

I have found the k&n i am going for, haha you right, there decent enough quality for what ime after and they look good.

Get one with 80mm neck, fits straight in turbo intake pipe then.

The one i have found is 84mm internal diameter, so the intake will fit inside

Why?

The car is now a show car that only gets used for shows really, so long term efficiency isn't a problem

Yes, if it isn't filtering well enough, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that such filters flow more air because they don't filter so well and fine particulates hitting the soft alloy turbo impeller tend to erode it over thousands of miles thereby reducing available boost.

There are plenty of pictures of eroded impellers caused by poor air filtration.

Which is why my favoured solution is the S2000 paper cone, it's the best of both worlds.

so it's more about the material than cone filters are bad? a K&N (for example) of any type would be bad, in the long term, for the life of a turbo? I've got a paper cone on my Ibiza which would seems to be a decent choice, obviously it works well on my Honda too  :D

so it's more about the material than cone filters are bad? a K&N (for example) of any type would be bad, in the long term, for the life of a turbo?

Yes, I'd never advise fitting anything other than a paper filter to a turbo car, no matter what shape it is.

Each to their own but to me an filter is first and foremost a filter! It is there to filter out containments from the air.

The paper filters aren't nearly as restrictive as some car enthusiasts or air filter companies like K&N would have you believe. 

That's not to say after market cone filters don't have their place. They filter well enough and in certain set ups can improve performance. A fabia vRS desiel is not one of these set ups however! - But if you want/like the noise they make then what the hell it's your car! People have and do run them without issues. 

An argument can be had for fitting a cone filter to a vRS with a larger turbo as there have been a few reports of the stock air box set up being sucked in so in that scenario I can see why people swap to them.