Time for some tyres

On our Superb we had Goodyear Eagle F1's for many years , tried Bridgestones (Potenza poss) but last set was Falken ZE-914 , bought based on a recommendation , quite cheap at around £66 a corner plus fitting . valve and balance. Was very impressed , quite grippy in the dry not excellent but excelled in the wet and very quiet as well . Quieter than the Goodyears but very similar in performance , great VFM

Interesting as I found the 914 a noisey tyre. That was on a mk1 Fabia vRS and a 1.6 petrol C'eed. It was otherwise an OK tyre. Didn't last that long on the vRS. Probably would not buy again due to noise and longevity.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought our car (2010 Superb 125kW) with Hankook Evo S1s on the rear and Falken ZE914s on the front. As the previous owner noted, the Falkens have poor grip, especially in the wet. Far too easy to get the TC light flickering. I'm probably going to go for Hankook Evo S1 or V12 Evo. I've had experience with cheaper tyres (Maxxis come to mind) and I'm not doing that again.

I had Dunlop SportMaxx (original ones not the RT) and they were darn scary on my Octavia PD140. Wheelspin in 4th gear under acceleration on a damp motorway..... Never had that before! Never had it since either!

Over the last few years I've tried F1A2, PS3, Ziex912 / 4, Hankook S1 Evo, V12 Evo, KU39 and vredestein ultrac sessanta on Octavia, Fabia and Superb. The F1A2 is my favourite followed by PS3 and the V12 Evo.  Tried some EfficientGrip Performance on a Kia Ceed but it went straight into understeer on any tyre so wasn't good to judge off! Nice and quiet mind you!

Hi, keen to hear your thoughts on the Hankook S1 Evo verses the V12 Evo. Thanks

Hi, keen to hear your thoughts on the Hankook S1 Evo verses the V12 Evo. Thanks

Now they were on a Octavia mk2 estate with a mighty 140BHP TDi engine ( :D ) and not the Superb. 

I tried the S1 Evo2 and original V12 Evo (K110). I preferred the V12 Evo over the S1 Evo. I felt the steering feel was better on the V12 and the tyre lasted longer. I also found it very good in wet weather. 

They have increased in price considerably since I fitted them (in 225/45/17) and as such they are only a few £s cheaper than my preferred tyre the Goodyear F1A2. I will however probably fit the V12 Evo2 to our Fabia estate later this year

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where has the OP gone? Two weeks later I can only assume he is still deliberating over which tyre to choose!

Not gone, just super busy and super brassic too, thanks for all comments, tyres need doing very soon as MOT due early next month, not illegal yet by any means but small egg on inner sidewall of N/S/F tyre suggest possible failure

Not gone, just super busy and super brassic too, thanks for all comments, tyres need doing very soon as MOT due early next month, not illegal yet by any means but small egg on inner sidewall of N/S/F tyre suggest possible failure

Any one considered the new Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres - attracting my attention?

I tried Vredestein quatrac 5's on my old Skoda Superb I (now sold) , cant comment on life or summer driving but drove well in winter/spring and  were suprisingly quiet.

Edited by bigjohn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Update on my SAILUN ATREZZO Z4

Still happy with the tyres. Only downside (as far as the wife is condcerned) is that they can be a bit skittish in the wet. You tend to get understear going round some corners if going a bit fast. Personally I like it as it makes driving such a big car fun, but the wife is not so keen

I currently have Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on mine for the past year/10,000 miles. They are an excellent tyre and if a remember correctly about £85 a corner fitted.

Using these right now and seem very good, Camskill are are £233 delivered for 4 in 225/40/18 92Y

Rainsport 3's are made by Continental as they are mostly or fully owned by them I cant remember and cant be bothered to check LOL 

Update on my SAILUN ATREZZO Z4

Still happy with the tyres. Only downside (as far as the wife is condcerned) is that they can be a bit skittish in the wet. You tend to get understear going round some corners if going a bit fast. Personally I like it as it makes driving such a big car fun, but the wife is not so keen

I've driven over 40,000 miles (2 sets) on these now, in all sorts of weathers and conditions, and they've been great. I've not noticed any "skittishness", but then I tend to drive moderately when not in a straight line. They've always been planted and secure with one exception: about a month ago, on a wet road, I booted it on the entrance to a curve and the fronts "squirmed" and lost traction. This has never happened before or since, so I'm assuming there was some greasiness on the surface.  Not even your £150 tyres will cope with that.

Edited by Ned Brickley

A week ago, fitted on my 225/40/18's, Nokian Weatherproof x 4. So far I'm very happy !. Were £364 at tyreleader, delivered to the local garage, paid £50 to fit them.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

On my second set of Continantal Sport Contact 5. Had over 30,000 miles out of the last set with rotation at 15,000. Rotating the new set each 5,000 to see if I can stretch that further. Never had reason to complain with these.

Just (10 minutes ago!) ordered a set of Continental TS850 205/55 16R 94V with a set of 16" rims for the winter.