Change a 4x4 to RWD only.

Has anyone played with this?  changing an Octy 4x4 to RWD only?  I know the haldex will need to be replaced with a solid link and the front drive shafts 'removed' (leave the cv's in place but pull the rest of the shaft.  Weld up the Diffs and then do some suspension / steering mods.

I havn't seen much on the 4x4 system used in these and havn't had chance to play with one!

I am also looking to simplify everything by removing all the extra electronics!

Everybody else is going Jap or German - I was thinking going slightly more modern than my old Rapid but building something I could drift easily!  A 03 or earlier Octy Estate (With tow bar of course) would be perfect!

I appreciate the Octy is VAG BUT it was built in Czech!

Any ideas or info on the 4x4 system appreciated!

The idea has been floated before

You wouldn't need to do anything to the front diff - the rear pto is powered via the outer casing of the diff

gallery_31625_7_37858.jpg

Thats the front diff sitting on the transfer box (its an 02M diff/transfer box, but same design) - the rear pto drive splines are below the roller bearing - the splined shaft sitting inside the diff is the right hand driveshaft pto

The transfer box has no step-down gearing, the prop runs at 1:1 ratio

iirc the rear axle diff casing can be detached from the central haldex diff unit

DSC_8519.jpg

The rear diff is standard type of thing, easy enough to weld up

gallery_31625_7_66916.jpg

all driver aids can be disabled via vagcom

iirc the last chap who thought about went and bought a bmw ..

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cool Thanks - Exactly the sort of answer I hoped for!  Thanks for the help. :D

I have looked at and driven other drift cars and I want something that is clearly MINE.  

There are several things I am looking at to mess with on the engines and gearboxes of various Skoda vehicles!  

Next one will be getting a 1.8t and auto to work off megasquirt.