Fabia Mk2 vRS 1.4TSI Replacement Engines Replaced. How Many.?

George have you ever considered a lawsuit against vag? In the US there is a class action in place. Maybe the evidence you have and also what forum members have then its grounds for proceedings?

Wakey, why would I consider a Lawsuit, I have no problems with a car, those that do need to take action if they are not being treated correctly.

• Like 1

Hey George I wasn't being facetious or flippant - I was serious. Just because some other members criticise doesn't mean l don't appreciate your efforts  :sun:

You put a lot of effort into gathering forum data and appear to have other info to hand - it was just a natural thought path that you may consider nailing them to the wall 

Took the car in the oil consumption test this morning, they told me on the phone when I booked in it's a "half hour job".....2 hours later I left there, good job I knew it would take longer!!

Anyway, I overheard the technician say "3.75 litres, no oil filter changed" when the secretary asked how much oil was used for the invoice. I'm pretty sure that's more than I've seen mentioned on here? For some reason I had 3.6 litres in my head but hey, they're the experts with the instructions from Skoda printed out in front of them

I asked why it took longer than half an hour, the technician said he had to warm the car up to temperature, drain the oil, urn the engine y hand and leave it to drain for 20 minutes, weigh the correct amount of oil and refill (I may have missed something but that's what I recall)

Roll on June 4th when I go back for the results which "should be quicker that today" apparently......

I don't want to clog up this thread on replacement engines being replaced with more talk of oil consumption as there are plenty of other threads here for that, but there are some pointers I can give from personal experience on the test.

You are correct, it ought to be 3.6 litres, anything above that is overfilling and doesn't help the test process, and is potentially damaging to the engine. The test itself follows Skoda's own guidelines, not recognised industry standard ones, I think they try to estimate oil used over at least 400 miles, or at least they did with ours. The setting up of the test involved us leaving the car with the dealer for a half day, the conclusion of the test was handled the same way, so definitely not a half hour job. The oil filter should also have been changed.

Happy to help via pm if necessary to avoid clogging up the thread.

• Like 1

There is?

Does it apply to the CAVE or the CTHE engine?

How many class actions have succeeded in the UK since 1999?

I believe there is, read an article on this recently, the action is against VAG, Audi North America to be specific I think, and was about the oil consumption issues on the 1.4tsi. I'll try to find the article, I'm certain it had come to a successful conclusion from an owners perspective but may be wrong.

From all i have read i only know of the North America Class Action on the 2.0 TFSI, and there are 2 threads in this section from the Radio 4 

programme.

One thread started by vxh26

Then there is the Australian Caes that the owner lost on the VW Polo 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

Plenty of iOwners that do not need to gop to court because the Independent Expert / Professional Examination Report shows,

Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults, and VW do not want reports like that in a UK Court.

These Independent Reports are obviously accurate, because even Volkswagen Group Franchised Dealers & Warranty Managers 

are saying 'Known Fault' and knocking back, or trying to Warranty Claims where a Owner got a Extended Warranty fwith a car 

bought from a Volkswage Group Franchised Owner.

So that just shows how they are Prepared to Sell / Supply some vehicles that are not of Merchantable Quality or Fit for Purpose 

and then later say,  

'They have a known fault, move on now tough luck'',   Just like Volkswagen did for 5 years with new cars'.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

<snip>

Then there is the Australian case that the owner lost on the VW Polo 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

<snip>

Are you talking about Melissa Ryan and Saunders & Saunders?

If so, as I am sure you well know, the law firm said two years ago that it would not pursue a class action against Volkswagen in the case after the driver was adjudged by a Coroner to have been distracted by a "hands free" mobile 'phone conversation.

Wouldn't it be nice if you avoided speculation and innuendo, reported all known facts and perhaps even dropped in a mention about the dangers of getting distracted by mobile 'phone conversations - IN ANY CAR.

No i am not talking about that case and a Manual VW Golf, just as i told you in the thread in General Chat when you raised it.

It is the Oil Consuption Case in Australia against Volkswagen Australia with the Owner of a Polo GTI 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

It would be nice if you forget about Coroners and VW Golf engines cutting out,

stay on the Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults of the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Dual Charge Engines.

Euro 5 Emissions built 2009-2014 and fitted with a 7 Speed DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch Automated Gearbox which 

many of also need Service Campaign Field actions taken on.

Go study a bit more on this subject, and the treatment and solutions attempted or poorly attempteed by the Volkswagen Group 

to sort out, or hush up.

Sorry i can not help that you can not find it.

there are 2 threads in this section on it, and in the various VW Forums World Wide.

Ask some of your contacts at Volkswagen or Skoda they will point you towards it.

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I take the car back in tomorrow for the check, looked at the dipstick this morning and it's just about covering the bulb on the bottom, from my experience that's about a litre to get back to normal level, I've done about 530 miles on that!!!

Will update tomorrow with results :-)

• Like 1

So that with a Cold Dip on the Flat, & not a hot dip.

From my experience, 1.3 litres to get back up to the correct quantity of oil if the oil is just on the bottom Orange Ball on a Hot Dip.

Did you get a Warning Light or message,

or just dipped and found it this low.?

Edited by goneoffSKi

So that with a Cold Dip on the Flat, & not a hot dip.

From my experience, 1.3 litres to get back up to the correct quantity of oil if the oil is just on the bottom Orange Ball on a Hot Dip.

Did you get a Warning Light or message,

or just dipped and found it this low.?

Cold dip on the flat. I find it can be anything from 1 to 1.5 from the bulb, not sure why!

No warning light yet, the reason I checked it was I had a driving test this morning and briefed the examiner that the light might come on but to please continue the test as there is still enough oil to get around and me to the garage before it dries out completely! Needless to say the light didn't come on but would have been sod's law if i hadn't said anything, he would have stopped the test immediately if it had and I hadn't told him about it. 

• Like 1

It's using (I think I heard correctly) 1.053 litres per 1000km, so that's a bit too much :-) They mentioned breather pipes etc but knew absolutely nothing about it so they 'will have to make the call', I'm going to try to speak to Skoda CS later today or tomorrow, I don't know if the breather will apply to mine as it's a 2013 engine in a 2012 car, he mentioned the registration but when I mentioned the new engine he just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know....

• Like 1

Your car has a CTHE Engine which was replaced with a CTHE Engine, so no Breather Valve / Pipe mod should be required,

the Mods were for CAVE cars, CTHE engines left the factory ready to rock and roll.

(Maybe the replacement CTHE has the same early CTHE ECU used which were later changed for another.)

• Like 1

This is the Theme Song for Skoda UK Customer Services, maybe also for the person you are talking to.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

This is the Theme Song for Skoda UK Customer Services, maybe also for the person you are talking to.

Haha brilliant! I just spoke to Skoda CS and they are going to speak to the dealer and mention the things above, calling back tomorrow so will let you know the outcome :-)

Not yet, the service manager was out of the office yesterday when Skoda rang him so I have to wait for Skoda to ring me after they have spoken to the service manager

Skoda just rang and the dealer has ordered oil squirters and breather hose parts to cure the problem, I don't have much faith in this after reading past history but I guess it's the route I have to go down.

Any idea on time this takes to do the job?

On the plus side, I'm getting wheel centre caps replaced FOC :-)

• Like 2

Done within a 8 hour day, car at the Dealers for 2 days.

Interesting on the Breather Parts,  please be sure to get the part numbers for these.

Maybe the Dealership doing it will get a Trained and Qualified Adult in to do the job.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on timescale, will be interesting to see what they tell me it will take them....

Are these part numbers for my reference or others? I will ask but might not get told!

As long as a Trained & Fully Qualified Adult orders the correct parts I have faith in their fitters, just service manager that's the problem there.

Remember it is your car and the Warranty Provider is your Warranty Provider and the Dealership are paid to do the work.

So if the Dealer are only providing the Customer with the Invoice, time sheet , Invoice on parts, 

just ask Skoda UK to print out for you.

All parts listed that were used on your car.

Data Protection and all that,  your information held on computer, your right to know what it is, the car is yours.

They can not just mess about with something you bought and paid for on a 'need to know basis',   you need to know.

Part Numbers.

For my nosiness and helpful for others, 

like what have they come up for as an update on already updated Breather Pipe / Valve,

or are they just useless as a matter of course.?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1