Boot switch/ license plate lights/ boot lock unit removal

Removed the trim panel, removed 4 10mm bolts holding unit to boot. No idea how to get the unit out. 

Do I have to also remove the boot locking mechanism or is there a way to unclip the release cable?

Thanks

Just to provide closure to the thread, the reason for removing this was the following fault:

01141 - Luggage Compartment Unlocking Switch (E165)

27-00 - Implausible Signal

Problem was boot opening from fob and drivers door but not from boot switch. 

To remove unit unclip the release cable from the lock and mechanism. Remove four bolts holding plastic unit containing motor, license pate lights and boot switch. Unplug all cables from the unit. Move the unit along to the left and you have enough clearance on the cable to remove it from the motor. Remove unit (may need to pull clips out from wiring loom to give yourself enough space).

Replaced the unit with one from a Passat (51 plate but I guess they are all the same from '98 to '05 or there abouts). Unit cost £10 from local breaker so a cheap fix.

Fit your old lock barrel so it's the same key (twists out), and I also fitted the old motor. I left the old lock and motor from the new unit at the scrap yard in case a) that's what someone needed and b.) so I didn't pay for parts I didn't need. As Haynes say fitting is reverse of removal. 

Boot now working perfectly.

Noticed there was some waxy grease in the old switch, don't know if this was supposed to be there or a previous owner did it. I suspect this was the culprit in providing an implausible signal 

• Like 1