Chunky tyres for Yeti 4x4

Colesimon

Hi,

Has anyone ever put really chunky tyres on to a yeti? I want to put some in but not sure what size I can go to before having to modify the wheel arch.

I'm looking to create a rugged look.

Thanks

Are you on 16s or 17s. If it's the latter I don't think there are many options with the stock 225/50/17 size. On 16s you could go for something like Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T-S - in a 215/60/16 without any issues, though they are listed as 75db so not quiet! http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

BossFox on here has/had 225/55/17 winter tyres which over-read a little (around 3%) but if my Yeti is anything to go by the rolling circumference would need to be > 4% for the speedo to give a higher reading than GPS - on standard 225/50/17s 70 on the speedo shows as 66 on the GPS.

If you go for a narrower tyre you can probably get away with a higher sidewall without likelihood of it rubbing the arch linings.

Colway tyres did some very chunky tyres for mud and rallying but have disappeared.

Insa do very similar tyres available thru Tyremonkey.co.uk

insa_sahara.jpg  insa_dakar.jpg

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 1

Having just renewed my insurance one of the questions I was asked under "any modifications" was "have the tyres been changed to any non approved type?".

I suppose it depends on which insurer but better to be aware.

Fred

If you really need the grip/off-road performance of 'chunky' tyres, then I suspect the Yeti isn't really the right can in the first place. Otherwise I can't see the increased noise and fuel consumption being worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'm looking for cosmetic appeal rather than performance. My yeti will be my company vehicle and will be wrapped and sign written. I want to give it a 'rugged' look. A bit like the Yeti Extreme concept, but without having to modify the wheel arches etc.

Thanks Urell, that's exactly the type I'm looking for.

I suggest that before you do anything you check with your insurance company on what they will allow, especially as those tyres are not a Type Approved fitting for the Yeti.

I changed mine from 225/50/17 to 225/55/17 and that was about the biggest it was possible to go.

On full lock they were about 4-5mm from the wheel arch lining.

The Yeti appears to have huge arches as they are tall, but there is not much space to either side over what you actually need for the steering movement.

Here is an old pic of mine with the 225/55/17s on.  It does look a little chunkier.

yet1.jpg

yetimatterhorn3.jpg

I'm wondering if, what I think are called, Light Commercial tyres are legal and don't infringe insurance requirements ......they are less likely to get staked on our high country 'tracks'.

Thanks Llanigraham. It's for my beer company. I just want the Yeti to be eye catching when I'm driving about. I don't want to buy a van, so I'm going to sign write the yeti and get it looking as 'off road' as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer company??
In Wales??

Where in Wales?

Are you an independent brewer or something?

We need more info!!

(PM is fine)

Have you heard of The Waen Brewery? I know Sue, and her brewery is just around the corner from home.