Humming/droning noise 70-80 mph

Hi, Im Baz, Im new to this site. Ive a 2010 facelift VRS.. Up until recently it had cheap Wanli tires on (what I bought the car with). Recently I replaced the fronts with Goodyear Eagle F1s. Since then, its developed a humming noise (like someone blowing across the top of a bottle) but only really evident from 70 -80 mph. After investigation, we realised that the rear Wanlis were sawtoothed, changed the rears for new Goodyears, noise went for a week or 2, then came back. Then had the Hunter 4 wheel alignment check done. Front toe was out on drivers side front and camber needed bringing in a little pass side rear so I thought this was the end of the humming. Nope, its reared its ugly head yet again.. Going in for a service and MOT on Sat, so hopefully they might find something. After swallowing an encyclopedia online it could be wheel bearing, cover on underside of engine, door seals or vibration from the a pillar??? What do you guys think is the most likely??.. Its doing my head in. I MUST get to the bottom of it.. Im a little worried it might turn out expensive. Any input would be appreciated :-)

Edited by Bazzavilla

Just been in for MOT and service. It passed OK, but got a few advisories. Needs new front discs and pads plus needs the MSF wheel arch liner trim fastened as its loose. Im hoping these issues (when I have them rectified) will sort the humming out. Also many little bits that need to be attended too like rear washer etc. One thing that shocked me is i thought that the battery was dead in my spare key but apparently its all corroded inside and shot. They want 130 quid for a new one? Does this seem excessive? Can I only purchase this from Skoda?

the droan noise is most likely due to sawtoothing. Its a common sign that sounds like bearings gone.

Have a look at your new tyres, the two weeks might have been long enough to start the process off and even though the alignment is correct now they have worn enough to be making the noise

All the tires are relatively new however and should be much better than the cheap Chinese Wanlis that were on the car before? One thing that did come out of the service was they checked the tire depths, inside edge, middle and outside edge. The fronts are all 7.5 and the backs all 8.0 (virtually brand new), so they are wearing evenly (atm).. I bought Goodyear Eagle F1s on a recommendation that they are one of the best tires for the car.. Ill take your comment on board though as Im deffo not sure whats causing it

BTW the humming is intermittent. There is no telling whether its going to make the noise or not (like someone blowing across the top of a bottle). Before the service it was fine then on the way home it was noisy. When it does make the noise I get a bit of vibration in the steering also? Totally gutted coz I've always taken pride in how quiet and refined it is (even with spirited driving!) :-/

Edited by Bazzavilla

this is the wind getting in-between front pillars and front doors I had exactly the same so I went to Skoda  and after test drive mechanic adjust both front doors this has sorted my problem forever 

good luck mate 

Edited by marcinp
  • Like 2

needs the MSF wheel arch liner trim fastened as its loose.

Sort this and there's a good chance your high speed humming will disappear.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

marcinp.. I should have listened to you sooner. Just had all my advisory work carried out and when driving home still making the noise. Only stops making it when i open the drivers door window while driving!! When i do it back up, it comes back again.. Unbelievable. It surprises me how little Skoda seem to know about their own cars

Im still stumped.. Took it out again and now seems to be vibrating more from the passenger side.. Ive changed all tires, front brakes and pads, had a hunter alignment and still completely in the dark tbh... Cars eh?? More money :-(

Im still stumped.. Took it out again and now seems to be vibrating more from the passenger side.. Ive changed all tires, front brakes and pads, had a hunter alignment and still completely in the dark tbh... Cars eh?? More money :-(

Sounds like the same noise as mine

Ha - me too - had it sporadically at ..er..80mph but now gone - I assumed it was an under-body panel with the wind blowing over/between it.   Bit of a shock when it happened..

Hmm - mine's a 2010 VRS FL as well!

Hey - maybe its the VRS badge in the grill! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It drives me mad tbh.. I used to love driving it bit now not so much.. I try to always keep below 65 mph now so it doesnt make the noise, but then whats the point of owning a VRS? :-/

marcinp...Just to be clear.... Is this video of the noise it was making before you had your doors adjusted, or noise its still making now? Im tempted to book my car back into Skoda... ££££££££££££ :-/

Hi, sorry for late reply. The video is not mine I just found it on YouTube. I had the same noise before Skoda man moved my doors but they were closing very hardly so i have marked places where he worked and I moved the hook back again by 1mm then the noise came back. So yes it helped but the doors were very stiff he said that i may need new seals so this is my next step.

• Like 1

Took mine out for a spin earlier and put masking tape around the gap on the passenger door and it wasnt making the noise!!Its gotta go back in to have my spare key reprogrammed so im having both new front door seals/rubbers fitted at the same time ;-)

I have noticed though that both front door seals have become significantly unstuck/weathered in certain places.. Especially the leading front edges at the front of the doors, the rubbers dont seem to be stuck to the door at all on both sides in the same place. Just out of interest are yours like this?

Also while its in, Im having the insulation checked on the inside of the door mirrors. Gonna prob cost me a bomb in labour but so be it. I need the noise gone, its bloody annoying :-(

Mine does this also, but had put it down to the gap between the grill and the leading edge of the bonnet.

I took it off, cut a piece of foam underlay to fit and bolted it all together again, presto, no more noise... for 8 months.

Its doing it again now, so may have to look incase its the doors!