Octavia Mark 1 won't start

I have an Ocatvia Mark 1 on an X plate. Its in very tidy condition but of late i've been having the odd (costly) issue. Case in point it 'ate' a clutch spinner plate and needed a new clutch and flywheel (Single mass). I've had a couple of issues with that where the starter does stick on the flywheel (past 6 months) but I can give it a tiny push in gear and it releases - I see it as not worth going back to my indi for such an issue re 5/6 hours labour.

Its been running fine but today it won't start. It tries (the starter motor turns) but nothing after 20 secs plus of key turning. With this I also get the oil warning light kicking in after 4/5 secs - a little reading implies that can be a spurious unconnected thing. I then get the dash lights failing with key turning. I also had a one off ABS warning light (last week) but never again.

I'm thinking mybe the battery is giving up the ghost hence the weird errors - I've got it on trickle charge now. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated?

Thank you in advance for any contributors time and help re this.

Its a 1.9tdi (90). I've tried starting tt a couple of times since putting the trickle charger on x hours ago and the battery is getting weaker and weaker to pretty much zip (now) which is odd. You'd have though some charge would have filtered through by now?

There was also a slight thud fron right on intial start up first thing today but the alternator belt still looks on - and it should be OK starting without that anyway?

Edited by golfpro93

That was about 4/5 months ago - the clutch/flywheel. Indi garage thinking it was just the battery and came round with a heavy duty battery jumper charger. It did better but still no go. There was some concern re this 'thud' on initial start-up. Possibly the starter motor going bang in some way?

That said I'm still not sure its not the battery. Would a heavy duty battery charger kick over a dead battery? What I don't get is from this morning when they're was juice in the battery how could a few goes at turning the engine (3/4 times) over x hours flatten the battery that quick if its not the battery? Its now dead as a dodo. Surely there should still be some juice in it...if its not the battery?

Sorry for the questions. Its just been a pain in the butt of late. The Indi garage is keen to get it in but I'm just wondering 'good money after bad' after the flywheel.

As always any/all input and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Edited by golfpro93

One of the Indi staff came and whacked a heavy duty starter pack (not a car to car jump) on the battery terminals and while it turned better it still didn't start. This 'seemed' to dissuade him/them as to battery. They also seem to think as the starter is turning - albeit slowly - its not dead so it cant be that. I'd still think the starter is favorite having had issues re the SMF and clutch change some x months ago. Maybe the old starter (never been changed) has just given up the ghost?

One of the Indi staff came and whacked a heavy duty starter pack (not a car to car jump) on the battery terminals and while it turned better it still didn't start. This 'seemed' to dissuade him/them as to battery. They also seem to think as the starter is turning - albeit slowly - its not dead so it cant be that. I'd still think the starter is favorite having had issues re the SMF and clutch change some x months ago. Maybe the old starter (never been changed) has just given up the ghost?

Well, I'm not persuaded that it's not high resistance in a connection somewhere, and repeat that if you can't get 250rpm from the starter motor the EMS won't trigger the injectors, so the car won't even try to start.

I'm waiting for them to come back and tow it and do the necessary tests. As they're a decent Indi they're snowed under work wise - they kick off at 7-45 ish am.

Anyway, I'm of a similar mind to you. Either (1) an iffy battery (4.5 years old) that's had issues in the past, (2) the stater being old (15 years) and on its deathbed but not quite dead or (3) a connection somewhere. This small 'clunk' on initial fail seems to have captured their imagination but to me that's potentially just the starter's death cough. With the car being stood the battery is flat.

I'm wondering whether a taxi jump start may be worth a try (more umph than the mobile starter pack) or make not difference whatsoever - if the starters shot?

Thank you again to all contributors.

The clunk is usually from the solenoid, which could mean it's gone (but then the starter wouldn't turn the engine) or it's getting a weak current from the battery, which would mean the battery, or back to the battery - starter cables again.

I'm unsure re the ASV valve? That's not an everyday thing and I'm OK with Occy's. I'll google it. Thanks.

That said, I'm inclined to think electrical. What did strike me as weird is that I checked the oil just prior to it not starting. Maybe just a bizarre coincidence but I do it once every 6 weeks (only).

Just to let everyone know as to the outcome ....it was 'a broken solder joint in the fuse box under the bonnet'. The fuse box was removed, repaired and refitted and test all OK. As a complementary the garages also for nothing repaired the wires in a dodgy electric window so it worked - not intermittently. All done for £50 including towing the car to them and returning to me - albeit not a million miles but hey still.

The Indi concerned I can thoroughly recommend and have always been good to me re my occy...

http://www.westcoastms.co.uk/

Edited by golfpro93

It does now - the fault. I guess it wasn't something I was looking for. It also failed first turn of the day so possibly the heat element didn't kick in to indicate such. And when it was in the process of 'failing' I wasn't looking under bonnet wise. Thank you to all the contributors as always. A little bit of a 'different' fault but hopeful helpful to someone in a similar position down the line if the obvious stuff like battery/starter comes to naught.

• 6 months later...

When you say fuse box under the bonnet, do you mean the ones above the battery?

Also how do you push a car in gear, do you mean just a rocking it to rote the flywheel.

Currently having problems every now and then getting car to start, turn key, get click but nothing. Usually after keeping key rotated or after a few attempts car will start. Today spent half an hour in asda car park constantly trying to start it until it eventually started. Am hoping a tiny push in gear will sort it.

Then again it could be the starter motor!  :peek: