CV Joint

When I was having my brakes done the mechanic told me one of the CV boots was split and it would be an MOT issue. It's not clicking on lock yet but there is a drone coming from the front corner. Is this likely to be the CV Joint?

Also if I'm paying for labour to replace the boot it makes sense to replace the joint too (216k on clock, only part history, and think it's failing), so any advice on brand?

Cheers

You may find it cheaper to get a driveshaft. I picked up a used but excellent condition driveshaft for £30, and had it fitted for £40.

My original boots started to perished some time ago so I used one of those stretchy boot kits. Filled it with loads of horrible black grease! Car has done 240K in total, probably a good 100K  on the stretchy boots and everything perfect still.

my driveshft has play in it. been looking at new from carparts4less and works out at £98 with teh surcharge refund. Didn't think that was bad. I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd hand one, but I would'n't know a good one from bad!

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't a droning more likely to be the wheel bearing rather than the CV joint?

No point in replacing a CV joint that's still doing its job properly.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

When I had droning noise, it was a pentagonal tyre.  i.e. zigzagged Pirelli P7.  Utter shait.

Switched to Barum, been quiet last nearly 30k miles.

But if it sounds really metallic, then it's the inner joint.

Edited by oh_superb