Carista - dial staging enabled!

Had a play with Carista earlier and managed to enable dial staging!

http://vid43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/pinkpanther_75/Briskoda/VIDEO0042_zpskcrsnscj.mp4

Had a play around with a few other customisations, but apart from beep on lock / un-lock, didn't find many others that actually worked.

• Like 1

Which version of Carista did you use and what is your engine/trim level?

Because on my MY2015 TDI 77kW Spaceback Elegance, and with the latest non-beta version of Carista, there is no option for dial staging. Nor have I managed to enable beep on lock/unlock. The option for this is there, but doesn't do anything.

I have managed however to disable lane turn signal which was annoying for me.

I would also like to disable the bluetooth "ding" but there's no option for that either.

Which version of Carista did you use and what is your engine/trim level?

Because on my MY2015 TDI 77kW Spaceback Elegance, and with the latest non-beta version of Carista, there is no option for dial staging. Nor have I managed to enable beep on lock/unlock. The option for this is there, but doesn't do anything.

I have managed however to disable lane turn signal which was annoying for me.

I would also like to disable the bluetooth "ding" but there's no option for that either.

Mine is a 2013 1.2 Elegance.

The "non Beta" version of Carista offers very little for the Rapid. I emailed them and they suggested the "Beta" version would offer more customisations.

My car has Maxidot, which also allows a degree of customisation.

I did try changing to Australia, in order to bring up an MPH display, but this didn't work either.

I did specifically enquire if they were planning to include the option to disable the very irritating "Bong" on Bluetooth connection, but they replied it wasn't on the horizon.

As I'm sure your are aware the Rapid is based on relatively old technology, so has limited scope for customisation, compared to newer models. This is clear from the Rapid Maxidot, which features considerably less options than that on my Yeti.

Mine has a Maxidot too, so the beta version is what makes the difference.

I don't think that they based the Rapid on old technology, at least as fas as the electronics go. The engines, yes they are old (this also means that we know their pros and cons throughout their lifetime).

But on the electronics, I think that they intentionally crippled some comfort functions to be less competitive with their flagship models.

I mean that it would not take "new technology" to enable some menus on the maxidot or code the windows to roll with the keyfob for example.

That being said, I believe that it is possible to set many more things with VCDS or Carista, but as the Rapid is not so popular they choose to concentrate on other VAG models.

• Like 2

Still trying to find a wireless OBD2 widget that will play nice with the app. Have so far ordered two of the ones Carista themselves suggest - one arrived DOA, the other powered up and the phone would connect to it, but the app refused to work with it.

Still trying to find a wireless OBD2 widget that will play nice with the app. Have so far ordered two of the ones Carista themselves suggest - one arrived DOA, the other powered up and the phone would connect to it, but the app refused to work with it.

A little piece of info about these adapters:

All cheap chinese ones (like mine) are cheap counterfeits of original ELM327 chips. They took the ELM327, copied its software and flashed it on an cheap empty chip. These chips communicate with AT commands and you can tell the version you have by issuing an ATI command with apps like ELM327 Terminal or ELM32 OBD Terminal. Thing is, the version reported is usually a fake one, commonly 1.5 or 2.1, while the real version number from which they copied the software is 1.4 or lower than that.

ELM publishes new firmware versions along with new commands supported with each. By issuing these commands to my OBD adapter and observing which were valid, I found out that the real version of my adapter is 1.4, luckily the lowest one Carista supports.

Use this info to find out which version you really have.

I bought my adapter from ebay two years ago for my previous car, it is identical to this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Unbeatable-At-X-99-Vehicle-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD2-OBD-II-ELM327-ELM-327-V1-5/458815786.html and is advertised as 1.5 (but is 1.4).

Hope this helps.

This is the gamble you take when you buy anything that has been cloned...

This is the gamble you take when you buy anything that has been cloned...

Already well aware of that obvious point.

In my case, everything I've tried so far I've bought from Amazon (either supplied direct by Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon), so always covered by Amazon's no-quibble returns policy.

I hadn't heard of this app before. Installed and can connect ok. Have you tried to enable the one remote button press to unlock all doors, or press and hold to wind windows up? I don't want to pay the $25 for it not to enable even though the option is there.

Edited by zed50

I'm using the developers Beta current version ( 1.1.0 ) and my OBD2 Wi-Fi Dongle and it does indeed allow staging on the Rapid, Works fine as tested on my dads 63 Plate Spaceback Sport 1.6Tdi.

I hadn't heard of this app before. Installed and can connect ok. Have you tried to enable the one remote button press to unlock all doors, or press and hold to wind windows up? I don't want to pay the $25 for it not to enable even though the option is there.

Press & hold to wind windows up doesn't work - I think that even VCDS cannot enable this (missing hardware or unsupported by CECM)

One button unlock should work as it is supported for sure (mine had it enabled from factory).

• Like 2

Made some progress today - I now have a wifi ELM widget that works and supports settings customisation.

I have successfully enabled:

Unlock entire car with single key fob press

Teardrop wiper feature

(i had already changed the rapid fire indicators to 5 flashes using VCDS, but could have done that too)

However, the current app version for the iPhone is not offering me any option to fiddle with dial staging. :(

• Like 1

Dumb question.

What is teardrop wipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When enabled, if you use the wash wipe it does an extra wipe a few seconds after the wipers stop, to catch the excess water that otherwise runs down the screen.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Thanks Chris [emoji106]

Another thing that annoys me is when your wipers are on constant and you come to traffic lights and you stop your wipers stay on constant wipe and not intermittent. My Citigo and Octavia had this function but not the Rapid [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris [emoji106]

Another thing that annoys me is when your wipers are on constant and you come to traffic lights and you stop your wipers stay on constant wipe and not intermittent. My Citigo and Octavia had this function but not the Rapid [emoji57]

Both my Citroen C4 and Rover 75 would auto switch the wipers from constant to very intermittent when the car was stationary - it is both surprising and disappointing the Rapid doesn't have this feature.

Also tried to enable lazy windows (raising and lowering the windows with a prolonged press of the lock or unlock button on the key fob) - another feature both my previous cars had, not supported on the Rapid. Even my mum's low-spec Fabia has this feature factory-enabled.

• Like 1

Another thing that annoys me is when your wipers are on constant and you come to traffic lights and you stop your wipers stay on constant wipe and not intermittent. My Citigo and Octavia had this function but not the Rapid

Both my Citroen C4 and Rover 75 would auto switch the wipers from constant to very intermittent when the car was stationary - it is both surprising and disappointing the Rapid doesn't have this feature.

well, i did enable speed dependent wiper in vcds...and it works exactly like you're describing :)

byte 14 / bit 7

Nzm9ryp.jpg

• Like 1

I stumbled across this thread earlier. I've been looking for someone local with VCDS but thought I'd give this app a try.

It's awesome. On my fabia monte with Maxidot I've been able to enable needle staging, teardrop, one button unlock of all doors and big MPH on the display by changing the language to Australia.

• Like 4

Just came in from having a play with Carista on my mum's poverty-spec Fabia.

Was pleasantly surprised with how much I was able to enable.

My mum's car now has (all tested and working):

Dial staging

Teardrop wipe

Speed-sensitive wipers

Audible bleep on lock and unlock

(the car already had remote opening and closing of the windows enabled)

Now, just need Carista to add support for Rapid dial staging to the iOS version of the app and I'll be a happy bunny.

There's also a couple of VCDS Rapid hacks I really want to try, which I believe Dukedl has managed to get working including speed-sensitive wipers (see above) and enabling Hill Hold Assist. I REALLY miss Hill Hold Assist having had it on the C4.

• Like 2

Carista updated their android app to 2.3.

Added options are:

Change instrument language/region

Change units

MFD enable/disable

Gauge sweep (staging)

Seat belt warning

Speed-dependaent wiper speed

Really wish they would hurry up and update the iOS version with all this.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1