I must be flush but who else has.....

I always used to use Shell Optimax in my old Leon Cupra (1.8T) was always happy paying a little extra... When I had my first diesel, my Exeo I tried Optimax diesel but the engine seems to rattle a lot... I then changed to BP Ultimate and have used it ever since, engine on the Exeo seemed a lot quieter and smoother... 

Not tried the new Shell yet though... 

Tesco's cheapest diesel for at least the last twenty years with no problem and very good mpg, why, because 99% plus is down to how you drive.

I think it's propably a placebo effect. You look for something, so you'll find it.

I'm pretty sure the best thing you can do regarding fuel, is buying from the same brand all the time. This should eliminate fuel from the MPG equation, although fuel brands can change the content of their fuel (fuel vs. additives) I guess. I'm not much for price-hunting the lowest fuel, driving more miles just to get that last £0,001 down...

• Like 1

Tesco's in my Mondeo made it noisier and gave less mpg (checked and tested over 150,000 miles) so as i get the vat back and the taxman gives me 22% of the rest back ill see how it goes

Yes, lower cetane rating leading to more diesel clatter, and lower mpg from a higher biodiesel content in the fuel.

I think it's propably a placebo effect. You look for something, so you'll find it.

I'm pretty sure the best thing you can do regarding fuel, is buying from the same brand all the time. This should eliminate fuel from the MPG equation, although fuel brands can change the content of their fuel (fuel vs. additives) I guess. I'm not much for price-hunting the lowest fuel, driving more miles just to get that last £0,001 down...

If I use the Supermarket petrol in my Ibiza I get 41-42MPG, if I use BP Ultimate I get 46-47 MPG on the same 100 mile round trip each day, (manually measured) so "better" fuel does work

On another note a chap I worked with did say that when his dad was a tanker driver, all fuel is the same regardless of company... it all comes out the same refineries... what is different is what they add to the tanker after it is filled... addidtives etc, these then mix on the trip to the station... Not sure how true this is, but does make sense to me... 

Never noticed a difference between fuels in Ireland (The only time I've heard of it making a difference was when my dad discovered Fords ran worse on Jet brand fuel in the '80s). I have heard that more out of the way stations in Ireland can often be filled by tankers carrying different brand fuel because it's cheaper to alternate fills than for every supplier to send a truck to every location every time.

If the fuel meets legal requirements to be sold as fuel then it will be what the car is designed to run on unless you've remapped for higher octane/cetane fuels. I've been using mostly the same petrol station for the last 2 cars thanks to it being cheaper or a match for the cheapest I've seen elsewhere and on a route I often drive several times a week. As soon as you put a value on your time, driving any distance out of the way to get the last 0.1 p off the fuel is a waste of money. I'm routinely paying 5 cent a litre less than most of the brand name city stations though, which is €3 on a 60 litre tank and more or less adds up to 2 extra tanks of fuel a year at my current mileage.

I have heard that more out of the way stations in Ireland can often be filled by tankers carrying different brand fuel because it's cheaper to alternate fills than for every supplier to send a truck to every location every time.

Not to mention the quality of some of the fuel delivered!!  There is a fair amount of dubious activity still going on around this country, especially some of the those unbranded trucks you see pulling in late at night at some stations and its not just the smaller ones either!!

A big part of the quality of the super fuels is how busy the garage is, ergo, how fast the fuel is sold and replenished. The higher octane performance fuels lose their RON if stored for too long in quieter petrol stations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran my Mondeo 130PS Tdci for 4 years over 140,000 miles, supermarket fuel and winter diesel got me 44-45mpg, proper stuff got me 49mpg

plus it sounded like crap on Tesco's

then 4 recon injectors cost me £900............that wasnt in my mind, Ive got the invoice to prove it

I am a convert to Nitro plus diesel and use it regularly. I will also use nothing other than Nitro plus petrol in my old Triumph Spitfire, it runs much better on that than any other fuel.

In the 140 Elegance FL estate it is amazing.

Much smoother and quieter.

I regularly drive between Luton and Leeds or Manchester . There are miles of 50 mph limit roadworks so cruise control is used.

Anyway on Morrissons fuel I would normally see on average, about 58 mpg on this run. On a tank of Nitro plus this week I saw 71 mpg for a while but the overall trip average was 66 mpg.

If you do the sums a tank full is only a few pounds more so to me the benefits are well worth it.

That supermarket beginning with M is one of the worst offenders at maximising the amount of permitted biodiesel content in with their diesel, which has a lower energy content than fossil-derived diesel.

A few years ago, I did an informal comparison of the premium petrol in my Passat 1.8T. There seemed to be a consumption improvement of about 2-3% which was similar to the price differential at Sainburys.

13p/litre extra for the premium fuel just isn't worth it.