£1000 to modify

thewez

Looks like the yeti might become my mile muncher... so what mods to make a more rewarding drive?

312 brake upgrade

Remap / tuning box

Flappy paddle steering wheel

Sound proofing...

All thoughts welcome....

Whatever you do, don't read BossFox's Yeti thread - you'll be £5000 out of pocket by page 2 :rofl:

Can't see your car as I'm on my phone, but assuming it's diesel DSG, personally I'd go with just a map and ARB if its going to be a mile muncher :happy:

• Like 2

Umm might just chop it for somthing more motorway focused and less nice. Seems a shame to stick 25-30k on a nice 63 reg 140 dsg yeti...

Currently its the wifes car and ive got a hyundai santa fe but that loose about twice the money per mile in depreciation. Yeti is approx 5p for every mile above 10k a year and the santa fe 10p. So shes getting the santa fe :-( but the yeti is a fab 2nd car just wondering if its too nice????

Edited by thewez

Umm might just chop it for something more motorway focused and less nice. Seems a shame to stick 25-30k on a nice 63 reg 140 dsg yeti..

You obviously like the Yeti and it will do what you want it for. The question you need to ask yourself is whether the cost of trading the Yeti or the Santa Fe is going to be more or less than the depreciation on the Yeti using it as your main car. From your posts it seems like economy isn't the priority so why not just drive a great car rather than settle for an adequate one. Not that I'm trying to influence you one way ot the other you understand.

(And the missing essential mod, and the best value, has to be the Briskoda sticker for the rear screen).

Having owned a 140 and now a re-mapped Tsi my suggestion is a stage one remap and (essential if you do) the 312 brake conversion and spend the change on fuel to enjoy the transformed car!!

Hows the mpg post remap? Do you use the flappy paddles much?

Mileage is between mid 40s to low 50s depending on route.

Paddles get used on spirited cross country drives (I live in deepest Suffolk) so quite regularly, and on motorways when I need to pass quickly.

Flappy paddle steering wheel was the best mod I have done.

And I have done a few... see my project build thread (linked to in my sig below)...

Drove the yeti today... (wifes car)

1 there is more noise than the santa fe

2 brake, just don't inspire confidence so that needs to be 1st on list.

Would just a brake pad upgrade give a good improvement?

Guys with flappy paddle, where did you buy from and where was it fitted?

Ttfm

Edited by thewez

My CR170 has 312mm brakes anyway, but on my last 3 VAG cars I've done the 312mm upgrade and it's been the nest mod I've done.

Even on standard pads it makes a big differencem gives you a lot more confidence when driving.

Then you have the option of uprating the pads too.

I've got EBC Yellows front & rear on mine. It stops very nicely! Not a hint of fade on track at the How Fast day recently.

It's worth checking the state of your discs first.

Both my front and rear discs were *very* heavily corroded on the inside faces (where it's hard to see). Not just the outer edges either, the whole face was in a terrible state. I can't understate how bad they were.

If they're in this state, just replacing the discs and making sure the calipers aren't stuck will make a big difference.

I removed the bonnet insulation....very easy just a few clips....applied bitumastic pads to the underside and then noisekiller in between the strengthening ribs. Then clipped the original insulation back.

I unbolted the front seats and slipped noisekiller under the floor at the front.

I lined the spare wheel area with bitumastic pads and then put noisekiller over the area.

You can buy an acoustic blanket from noisekiller that just lays over the engine...it appears to be lead sheet covered in a fire proof case. I have one but not fitted it (I bought it for my CMax) as i now think the car is OK noisewise.

My friend has a 1.2 DSG Yeti and at low speeds it quieter than my diesel at 60mph plus I think mine is quieter.

To be fair I have tried to soundproof nearly every car I've owned over 40 plus years so I'm a bit OCD I suppose