Brake disks and pads

Hi All

Need new pads soon and was considering new disks. What is the general consensus for disks and pads??

Was considering something a wee bit better than standard. Mintex drilled disks and EBC pads maybe??

What's suggested if I just change the pads?

Its a 2010 Octavia VRS CR.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

If you don't change the rotors then you need to get them machined.  VW only allow 2mm total.  You need to measure the disc thickness first   - the minimum is stamped on the hub.

I would use Mintex pads & rotors.  I'm not a fan of EBC.

I'm not a fan of drilled discs unless you are after the visual impact.  Slotted are worthwhile for some.  I just fit plain face which allows me to buy a better quality rotor.

ATE Ceramic pads & matched rotors are worthwhile.

Don't know anything about them.

Keep in mind I'm a long way from you.  I could recommend a half-dozen brands you've never heard of but I know you have Mintex & ATE.  Remsa aren't bad either - OEM supplier same as ATE.

Are the Mtec disks ok?? I read a few reviews stating they can be prone to warpng.

Are the EBC redstuff pads ok?? I just want the brakes to be a bit better. It may just be they need replaced and bled but they could do with a small improvement.

If you want really good stock brakes then get QFM A1RM pads and DBA 4000 series rotors with Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

Definitive answer that I know will work.  I'm not sure if they are sold in the UK though.

ATE ceramics with the ATE premium rotors - you'll be happy.

What do you actually mean by better braking?

I feel like the braking could be a bit better when braking hard. They just seem to be a bit soft. It may just be because the pads are worn and the calipers are all crapped up.

Perhaps a new set of pads and a good clean of the calipers and new brake fluid will sort the issue.

Just worried about some reviews I have read about 3rd party disk warping etc. Wanted drilled disks and new pads all round but dont want problems with warping/fading etc.

Will have a think about it.

I have had the mtecs fitted to all cars I have owned and they have not let me down.

Like I said I have a set waiting to go on the oct when i get the other parts sorted.

If you do order mtec go via their website not eBay you will find them cheaper ;)

Just worried about some reviews I have read about 3rd party disk warping etc. Wanted drilled disks and new pads all round but dont want problems with warping/fading etc.

Will have a think about it.

Cheap stuff will warp.  Quality will be better than OEM. 

Drilled?  I assume yo want the looks?  I won't do drilled as only the really expensive stuff doesn't get spider cracks emanating from the holes if you tend to get heat in them.  Suggest you google "advantages of drilled, slotted, plain disc rotors"  Some good articles out there

• Like 1

I put Pagid on my VRS when it was time. I thought they were fine and a definite improvement over what I had.

Are the EBC redstuff pads ok?? I just want the brakes to be a bit better. It may just be they need replaced and bled but they could do with a small improvement.

they are ceramic based pad so they less likely to fade and inspire confidence for high speed braking,

they are also good value for money for a performance pad as they are around £60 a set for the fronts compared to around £25 for a set of normal standard pagid pads

Pagid seems to get good reviews. Are the standard Pagid disks and pads OK??

What size are the disks on the VRS CR?

308mm if remember correctly..

Pagid arent what they use to be 15 years agos use to be ine of the best aftermarket braking you could buy but unfortunatly chinese got hold of them and kept the name rebanding there products as pagid...but still not bad braking..Pagid are just a after market set of pads just like apec ate lpr etc etc nothing uprated...

All down to preference mate really ebc or mintex plus might aswel go drilled and grooved disc if your changing them

308mm if remember correctly..

Pagid arent what they use to be 15 years agos use to be ine of the best aftermarket braking you could buy but unfortunatly chinese got hold of them and kept the name rebanding there products as pagid...but still not bad braking..Pagid are just a after market set of pads just like apec ate lpr etc etc nothing uprated...

All down to preference mate really ebc or mintex plus might aswel go drilled and grooved disc if your changing them

fronts are 312mm

rears vary according to the PR code on the build plate in the service manual or luggage area

drilled & grooved - On a road car apart from looks - why?  especially drilled  Hopeless unless the disc is normalised & stress releaved after drilling.

Pagid seems to get good reviews. Are the standard Pagid disks and pads OK??

What size are the disks on the VRS CR?

fronts are 312mm

rears vary according to the PR code on the build plate in the service manual or luggage area

drilled & grooved - On a road car apart from looks - why?  especially drilled  Hopeless unless the disc is normalised & stress releaved after drilling.

I did say might not be correct ;-)

Well down to personal preference to whether you want them. Your opinion is no point where as i would if im changing the lot as slight upgrated granted you would notice barely no difference or not at all.unless you do alot of track days. but they also look alot better if your going visual appearance.

What about Textar??

Who does the OEM for Skoda??

Mintex, Padgid and Textar are owned and made by the same firm, KMD Friction. I know as, I've done some contract work for one of their factories in Hartlepool.

I may be wrong, but I believe OEM Skoda pads are made by Pagid.

• Like 1