Brake disks and pads

When I bought my disks and pads from TPS the other week they supplied Jurid parts. So far they seem very good and came coated so no rust hopefully. I fitted pagid to the rear a couple of years ago and they also seemed good but have noticed lines have developed on the disks now, can't feel the lines by touch but can see them.

• 1 month later...

My Octavia II has had the front ATE (aka Teves) brakes, FN3 caliper, therefore I would assume also ATE/Teves OEM rotors & pads, the LUCAS/TRW CII 41 rear brakes with, by the same logic, their rotors & pads. As a matter of fact, one can see the TRW stamped on the outer pad, including the WRONG OEM code (the final two digits before G should be inverted):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smy4zwz1nbutdcb/DSC02227.jpg?dl=0

Have been gearing to replace the almost-worn OEM pads with the FERODO pads and keep the rotors (they still have plenty of meat, after 151,000 km). I always stick to the well-established brands only (OEM-level), preferably those who manufacture their stuff (BOSCH and VAG are exceptions): ATE, JURID, TEXTAR, FERODO, BREMBO... Btw, they are not the most expensive, unless one wants upgrades or fancy materials.

Cheers from Italy.

Edited by zzonyx

Still not got the disks and pads done yet. Was kinda set on Pagid but considering drilled again. I was worried about cracking on drilled disks but we don't do track days but a bit of motorway driving and spirited driving on long journey's on Scottish rural/highland roads now and then. The other thing that put me off was the cost, as they won't be much better than standard Pagid disks and pads.

Do you think drilled disks would do? MTEC drilled disks and Pagid pads?

I think your questions have already been answered previously.

drilled are nice for "the look" but not good for track (unless they are the really expensive ones).  They also make a bit of extra noise (as do grooved discs).

It comes down to personal preference.  I'd prefer a high quality plain rotor over a average quality rotor with "enhancements".

Probably as good a place to ask as any, but are there any good braking mods for the petrol VRS? Wouldn't mind improving mine but don't fancy cheap drilled discs or the costs of a big brake conversion. Anything like brake hoses worth doing?

Yes they are fine as they are ECE R90 approved pads and I don't have any problems with braking when the pads are cold. They give you more confidence when braking from higher speeds as the bite gets stronger as the pads warm up. But I personally like them cos they produce less dust.

• Like 1

Probably as good a place to ask as any, but are there any good braking mods for the petrol VRS? Wouldn't mind improving mine but don't fancy cheap drilled discs or the costs of a big brake conversion. Anything like brake hoses worth doing?

Make sure the brake fluid is the correct specification.  VW says it's supposed to be Low Viscosity but I think most workshops ignore that and fit Normal Dot4.  Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid doesn't meet the VW spec but it's made amazing difference to pedal feel in some cars that I have driven.  It needs to be changed every year.

I'm not too sure about braided hoses.  I was told the stock hoses are Kevlar reinforced and were pretty good but maybe they degrade over time?

Probably the best upgrade is a decent brake pad like a Ferodo DS2000 or DS2500.

All this assumes your sliders aren't full of rubbish and the slider rubbers haven't deteriorated.

You could fit TyrolSport brass sliders to reduce caliper twist although I reckon you could adapt an off-the-shelf brass bush to do the job.

Ran Yellowstuffs on my S2000, They soon exhibited signs of fading after 15 minutes of hard driving. 

Honest I'd opt for DS2500's they take so much punishment, your brake fluid will probably boil before these do! they are however very dusty... Trade off clean wheels for better braking...

I 've got a second set of Black diamond grooved discs with Green stuff EBC pads at front.

Great stopping power with low"dusty" rims. Not faiding in got weather or heavy Londons traffic.

OEM PAGIT for rear.