New Bolero with Mirrorlink ?

Panther_uk

The wife's Yeti is being built in week 24, the Dealer has already advised it will be the SE L model which replaces the Elegance and that it will have the newer 110 bhp 1.2 engine, as for spec changes he has said it will have the later Bolero infotainment with the colour screen, but will this have Mirrorlink ?

Looking at Skoda.com, the Czech yeti's come with it as standard.

Looks like Skoda have renamed MirrorLink to SmartLink and its an option on all models.

SmartLink  £150.00
SmartGate £100.00

My new elegance came with a leaflet about it, so presumably its fitted as standard;  but I haven't bothered to read the leaflet as I'll never use the facility.  I'll have a butchers next time I'm out in the car.

It says Mirrorlink on my Bolero

It does on my Amundsen (January 2015) but we are talking about the cars not yet built.

The brochure for the new cars is available Here

Last section on page 33 describes the extra charge for it.

Edited by Urrell

• 1 month later...

I will have to see if it is working when I get mine this week, it has the Amundsen fitted.

The wording from Skoda is

SmartLink has only become available on selected models since 25 May 2015 (the new production year), so if you ordered your new ŠKODA before this date, it will not come with SmartLink. Please check with your local ŠKODA retailer if you’re unsure when you ordered your new ŠKODA.

As far as my Octavia Scout goes, Smartlink (which is the overall package and includes Mirrorlink) is there, but unless it was specified at build time, it wasn't activated.  

The dealer can't activate it yet as there seem to be licensing issues with Apple and Google, so it's a factory option only ... at the moment.

Smartgate is something else entirely and requires a factory install.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if my reply seams odd to the nature of the topic but I have just bought the YETI 1.2 tsi dsg and I didn't get the sat nav option as my dealer said that the mirror link would work with my Galaxy note 3 so on that advice I have gone ahead and just taken delivery of the 2016 model. Please I thought as I plugged in the USB cable and sat back thinking connecting NOT

Nothing happens with anything android auto nothing mirror link nothing any other advice please would be very gratefully received.

Nothing happens with anything android auto nothing mirror link nothing any other advice please would be very gratefully received.

MirrorLink is now SmartLink.

Did you pay £150 when you ordered the car to include the SmartLink Option?

Also Android Auto needs at least Lollipop, Android 5 to communicate with the phone, does yours have that?

Edited by Urrell

Sorry if my reply seams odd to the nature of the topic but I have just bought the YETI 1.2 tsi dsg and I didn't get the sat nav option as my dealer said that the mirror link would work with my Galaxy note 3 so on that advice I have gone ahead and just taken delivery of the 2016 model. Please I thought as I plugged in the USB cable and sat back thinking connecting NOT

I would be asking the salesman to demonstrate the sat nav he told you about using your phone. When he can't I would be asking him what he is going to do about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There seems to be  confusion across the Skoda network .

We were told the same when we ordered our new Yeti.( My wife also has a Samsung note 3.)

Our Dealer is now waiting for "Skoda" to come up with an answer?

I thought this was bluetooth & not cable ?

I see you are in Kent, as well. there is  Maidstone meet  1st Sat in September ( look in meets section), if you are still having issues, pop along and there will be a few will assistants around who are very tech savvy.

You might even be hunrgy enough for a nibble & meet some new friends.

There seems to be  confusion across the Skoda network .

We were told the same when we ordered our new Yeti.( My wife also has a Samsung note 3.)

Our Dealer is now waiting for "Skoda" to come up with an answer?

They'll probably quote the small print but the dealer should shoulder some responsibility.

Fred 

I'm not sure if you know as you didn't mention it in your post...

For Android Auto you need to install the app from the Play Store on your phone.

If you can't find the app, that means you don't have Lollipop (Android 5.0)

Edited by pmajor

It's worth noting that SmartLink is not MirrorLink renamed.

MirrorLink is a technology invented by Nokia.

SmartLink is a VW Group option that contains MirrorLink, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

It causes a lot of confusion. My dealer told me I need to purchase an app for £75 to use GPS and SmartLink.

That's not true. I might need to purchase an app for MirrorLink, but Android Auto app is free.

Edited by pmajor

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it's right thread to post...  I bought new Yeti earlier this year, with Bolero infotainment system having MirrorLink support only.  I had to go to great lengths in order to have it activated: even if my dealer ordered it two months ago, it was only couple days ago that they received the activation key from Škoda.  So today we had it activated, only to discover later that it actually doesn't work: even if I have compatible phone (HTC One M8), and compatible navigation app (Sygic Car Navigation), as soon as I move the vehicle, the Bolero device screen goes blank, with an error message: "The app is unavailable while the vehicle is in motion".  Needless to say that I'm completely ****ed off.  Not only that Škoda screwed us with not being possible to upgrade to SmartLink, but now it turns out that I wasted €150 on useless MirrorLink activation code (and also €80 for Sygic Car Navigation maps, even if previously I paid for maps for perfectly functional Sygic GPS Navigation app, whose only flaw is that it's not MirrorLink certified - but that's another story).

So my advice to anyone thinking about buying MirrorLink activation key is: don't do that.  Buy a damn phone car holder (which I should have done at the first place), and just forget about having your phone screen mirrored on Bolero screen.

Edited by cgorac

well that's interesting as no one has managed to get a dealer to activate it, but what you describe is what has been well documented in the Fabia III section as a shortcoming of mirror link. Smart Link on the other hand works well and is worth the money

Sorry, can you point to a thread in Fabia III sub-forum where this is mentioned (that MirrorLink actually is not supposed to work at all when car is moving)? I was tracking this forum over past couple months for any MirrorLink related information, but I was under impression that, once activated, MirrorLink in Bolero should work properly at least for approved apps (and Sygic is one among small number of these applications, as listed for example here: http://skoda-auto.cm/en/models/new-fabia/connectivity).

As far as the activation procedure itself concerned: What you pay for is some sort of plastic envelope (like for DVDs), with some papers inside, and one of these has three numbers prominently listed.  Your car then should be connected to a diagnostic computer in a Škoda service centre (also, they will connect some sort of power generator to your automotive battery so that it is ensured that electronics in car don't lose power during the procedure), and then there is an option in the diagnostics software to enable additional capabilities, where these three numbers are to be entered.  After this is done, and your car disconnected from the diagnostics, you need to restart your Bolero infotainment system - all in all, five minutes procedure.  Now, when you access to the MirrorLink option in the menu, you'll be get past this "You can activate the function by means of an activation key" message.  Instead, when you connect your phone through the USB cable, you'll see the list of MirrorLink enabled apps (in my case: basically Sygic and Google Car only), just like these nice pics in Škoda leaflets show.  Then you can start Sygic, and it will display properly on the Bolero screen.  However, as soon as you start moving, the screen goes blank, displaying only the message mentioned in my previous post.  When you stop, you can see Sygic dispalyed again on the Bolero screen, but when you start moving again, the screen again displays this message.  On the other side, I was under impression that, despite all the obstacles, Sygic should still work properly while driving, as it's itself "drive-certified" (http://www.sygic.com/company/press/sygic-navigation-app-gets-mirrorlink-europe-and-north-america-certification), which in MirrorLink terminology means it is allowed to be used when driving, and both Škoda and Sygic are claiming, on respective Web pages, that it should work properly.

I seem to remember that there was a trick mentioned on this forum about how to force MirrorLink on Bolero to always display the phone screen, but cannot find it any more - does anyone maybe remember what was it about, so that I can try?

BTW, note also that I'm not from UK, but from continental Europe instead; still, I hope my experience could be helpfull to UK users too.

Edited by cgorac