Trevorb33's Fantasy Green Fabia 1.8t Sleeper

TrevorB33

Looks a great project Trevor, all the best with it. The wiring can be a right old PITA. My experience has been with Impreza wiring, where even the same model can have variations from one month to the next. I went for the engine loom option and a bespoke loom for the rest of the car for my project. Important to spend a bit of time getting it right as electrical associated breakdowns are a nuisance.

Looks a great project Trevor, all the best with it. The wiring can be a right old PITA. My experience has been with Impreza wiring, where even the same model can have variations from one month to the next. I went for the engine loom option and a bespoke loom for the rest of the car for my project. Important to spend a bit of time getting it right as electrical associated breakdowns are a nuisance.

Thanks, and yeah I definitely don't want electrical problems, hence why im going to keep it as simple as possible with manual windows, no central locking etc

then the shell can be disposed off, to give me abit of room

Word of advice :D  KEEP the shell until the project is done and satisfied.  Nothing worse than throwing something away and realising it had something you needed. :)

Yeah - I hear you loud and clear.  If you're able to, try and find somewhere to stash the shell for a couple of weeks until you are satisfied you definitely need nothing from it.

OR, just literally bare bones strip it down to metal  :D

• Like 1

OR, just literally bare bones strip it down to metal   :D

This. Just try and remember where all the parts went! :P Mine had nothing on it in the end, except 3 panes of glass 

• Like 2

Day 2 :) engines ready to come out just hanging on the mounts, removed the secondary air pump and bypassed the n112/249 while I was there, so much easier to do on ibizas as its all on top of the cam cover, all the engine loom is labeled, I was put a little behind as I had to do a tip run and pick the engine hoist up,

some pics

Before 112/249 bypass, what a mess

CB4DE30B-BF2F-4917-B147-B90BF0900B61.jpg

And after much better

72FFA65D-03D5-45B7-8173-36EA331DED16.jpg

• Like 2

Day three, very pleased with progress today, both engines out of Fabia and seat, and 1.8t sitting on the mounts in the Fabia:), also managed the change abs unit over and slave cylinder and pipe while engine was out, wiring is separated out the seat completely free now, so next couple of days will be playing with wiring and stripping inside of the Fabia,

Some pics

31188C17-FC5D-49E4-B668-C0FAF92D7A85.jpg

D698D3B9-BE95-4BF5-99EB-CE6800EC694D.jpg

40BA79D6-4C53-48C3-8EFD-42F5DD3289FD.jpg

Abs was abit of a ball ache as the connections were in a different position to the old pump so needed a rerouting of pipes

• Like 3

Im following this too.

From my investigation, alot more of the wiring into the cabin is usable than some may believe.

Dont get me wrong, there are differences, but judging by the 1.8T Looms sat at home, they arent that big. Im talking put the 1.8T loom into the engine bay, then modifiy it to fit the Fabias pin out. on the connector block under the windscreen.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

• Like 2

Im following this too.

From my investigation, alot more of the wiring into the cabin is usable than some may believe.

Dont get me wrong, there are differences, but judging by the 1.8T Looms sat at home, they arent that big. Im talking put the 1.8T loom into the engine bay, then modifiy it to fit the Fabias pin out. on the connector block under the windscreen.

I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Yeah that would be a hell of lot easier

Day five update

The parts fairy had been

5F984315-BCCF-4A05-9652-F3308D796EC8.jpg

So today I've connected up heater matrix, gear selector swapped and bolted up, down pipe fitted, subframes swapped, new coolant temp sensor and housing, thermostat changed, new dipstick tube fitted, oil filter changed, filled up with oil, and modified the front panel to accept the Ibiza rad. That's all lol some pics

Standard front panel

C044AA0E-5AFD-46DC-97B4-FDC93806EB5F.jpg

Ibiza rad fitted and front opened up

21A042FB-8856-4922-BA98-4B114B838612.jpg

Subframe differences, need the Ibiza one to aid downpipe clearance

86788C46-E8DB-42DF-9D61-1399FB84A6DE.jpg

Not much left now just driveshafts and fuel pipes really, then onto inside wiring :)

• Like 4