20K servicing CR170

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a superb CR 170.

The car I'm looking at was registered in late 09. I thought they didn't introduce CR's until 2010?

It's registered as 1968cc with 153g/km on car. I'll know the difference in engines anyway by having a look.

My main worry is it has main dealer service history, but the first owner went with 20K mile service intervals upto 60K miles.

First was 20k, 18months after purchase, 2nd 40k, 14months later, 3rd 60k, 15 months later.

Then it had a change of owner who serviced it every 10k upto 90K.

Would this common practice with CR170's, and is it something to be cautious of and look elsewhere?

There is 100k on it now, and had its timing belt changed at its last service.

Is there any major bills coming soon that I should consider when purchasing one with 100K on the clock.

Any other common problems I should check for on the test drive? It's an elegance model with manual gearbox.

What's the rear world MPG for just motorway commutes with the 170 CR engine and manual gearbox?

Thanking you in advance. I've searched all evening, but it must be a good sign when I haven't come across much common problems. Cheers.

I'm currently looking at buying a 146,000 mile 170cr. As long as it's been well looked after I see no issues...

Would the 20k service intervals upto 60k miles be classed as well looked after though?

20k or 2 years service intervals are the standard long-life intervals, should't be a problem in and of themselves. some prefer shorter intervals.

My last car was on long intervals - I had no problems in (almost) 8 years.

I'm not the most technical of people when it comes to cars though - but I'm sure someone else will pop in with some ideas :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a superb CR 170.

The car I'm looking at was registered in late 09. I thought they didn't introduce CR's until 2010?

It's registered as 1968cc with 153g/km on car. I'll know the difference in engines anyway by having a look.

My main worry is it has main dealer service history, but the first owner went with 20K mile service intervals upto 60K miles.

First was 20k, 18months after purchase, 2nd 40k, 14months later, 3rd 60k, 15 months later.

Then it had a change of owner who serviced it every 10k upto 90K.

Would this common practice with CR170's, and is it something to be cautious of and look elsewhere?

There is 100k on it now, and had its timing belt changed at its last service.

Is there any major bills coming soon that I should consider when purchasing one with 100K on the clock.

Any other common problems I should check for on the test drive? It's an elegance model with manual gearbox.

What's the rear world MPG for just motorway commutes with the 170 CR engine and manual gearbox?

Thanking you in advance. I've searched all evening, but it must be a good sign when I haven't come across much common problems. Cheers.

The 170 has always been CR since launch.  The 140 changed from PD to CR in 2010.  I wouldn't be concerned about the change in service intervals - the most likely reason is because the original owner was on variable servicing - basically the car lets you know when it needs a service and intervals depends on a number of factors but 20k sounds about right if it was on a motorway or similar most of the time. The second owner was on fixed (regardless of type of driving or how the car was used), which is every 10k miles.  I would take more comfort from the fact that there is a full service history in existence!

I've just got a cr 170 2013 reg back in Feb, it's one thing I quizzed when looked at the service book. It's 1st service had been done just under 20,000miles.

The sales man got the service manager over to explain. He said that's normal as its on a variable service and that the service indication light will come on anywhere between (I think he said) 16000 to 20000 miles depending on how the cars used as it monitors the oil by sensors

Thought about getting the oil changed at 30,000 but don't know how it would effect the service as per the way it works, was gonna ask near the time

Likewise our previous PD130 Superb was on variable from new and it called us in every two years (just under every 20K miles). As far as we knew, the mechanicals were fine in the nine years we owned it.

Thanks for the advice and replies.

My concern with variable service is that a few people I know who had engine and turbo trouble were on the long life variable servicing. Personally, It wouldn't be my choice, but good to know they are people had good experience with this option. Cheers for that.

Would it be wishful thinking hoping the 170 would return 50mpg on a motorway journey sitting at 80ish?

On motorway journeys, will the DPF need replacing at some stage in its life?

Anything else I should look into or keep in mind before purchasing?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Edited by kouki

There are two choices from new:

1) Fixed service intervals - 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

2) Variable service intervals - up to 20,000 miles or 2 years, the car decides. It monitors oil viscosity, number of cold starts, engine load, journey times etc.

All diesel Superb's bound for the UK leave the factory set to variable. Some dealers reset the interval to fixed as a cheeky ploy to get more business from you.

The reason the car has had three variable services up to 60,000 miles is likely due to it being a company or fleet owned car. This extended service interval suits these customers as it reduces the servicing costs over the typical ownership period. I would then guess the car has been sold to auction, appeared on a used car forecourt, bought privately and serviced every 10K by it's new owner.

The debate on fixed versus variable will continue, there are plenty of examples of cars being run on variable all their life with no issues. I cover high mileage (30,000 miles a year) so changing the oil every 10,000 miles is a little overkill, however I am a big supporter of fresh oil at least once a year, usually just before the winter when older oil tends to thicken up on those cold and frosty mornings.

A well serviced CR170 driven at 60mph to 70mph on a motorway will easily achieve 50mpg all day every day. My CR140 does 50mpg at 70mph to 80mph for three hours a day.

Edited by silver1011

Would it be wishful thinking hoping the 170 would return 50mpg on a motorway journey sitting at 80ish?

On motorway journeys, will the DPF need replacing at some stage in its life?

Yes, you should be able to achieve that mpg, at least on a manual anyway and I'm sure with a DSG also.  I wouldn't expect too much more than that however in reality.

So if I got the oil changed at 30000 miles on a car set to variable services how would it effect it ??? Would the service indication still come on for its service approaching 40000. If it's all the garage does without resetting anything or will the sensors pick up its fresh oil and change the service interval itself

Cheers

My CR170, having done 38,220 miles since purchased in Feb 2014 (then with 60,550 miles on the clock) has averaged exactly 49.02 mpg on regular use, split approx. 50% Mway / 30% A-roads / 20% Urban miles.

In theory, I can get about 63/65 mpg showing on the MFD - so probably about 58 / 60 - by driving like Hoke Colburn on Motorways, but the average is exact based on mileage and fuel used (yup, I record both precisely to shut the taxman up)

Both this and my previous Mk I have been on variable service since new, with service intervals averaging 19,000 miles, with no problems. My Mk I managed 201,000 until I sold it, this one so far 99,200.

Thanks for all the feedback.

2) Variable service intervals - up to 20,000 miles or 2 years, the car decides. It monitors oil viscosity, number of cold starts, engine load, journey times etc.

I've looked at another car that has variable service intervals. The recorded service mileage is 20k, 40k, 60k, 71k and 95k.

Would it be possible the car would let you go 24,000 miles until the service light comes on?

The car was serviced by skoda each time. At each service it has just had oil and filters. Would this sould right upto 95k? It's 4 years old.

How does one identify if the car has an upgraded sound system? There was some badging either on top or below the speaker on the drivers door.

How does one identify if the car has an upgraded sound system? There was some badging either on top or below the speaker on the drivers door.

Yes correct, the badging should be the giveaway.  It will say 'Sound System' on a strip on the speaker and there will be an additional speaker on each front door - its on these speakers that you will find the badge - see image below....

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b547/EricRochford/untitled_zpsnf3nxxv0.png

• Like 1

I've looked at another car that has variable service intervals. The recorded service mileage is 20k, 40k, 60k, 71k and 95k.

Would it be possible the car would let you go 24,000 miles until the service light comes on?

The car was serviced by skoda each time. At each service it has just had oil and filters. Would this sould right upto 95k? It's 4 years old.

95k would be correct from 60k if it is at (2x18) but I am not aware of anyone having gone 24k between services at this level of long life intervals. I do my mileage gently on the motorway (mostly) and I have only gone 18.5k between.

Edited by Danny 57

24,000 miles is pushing it, but what I will say is that the cars we have on our fleet at work often go beyond their service intervals.

Drivers ignoring the service light, leaving it too long before booking it in, waiting for a slot at the local dealer etc. These cars can cover 1,500 miles in a week so leaving the service light on for a fortnight and you are quickly above the usual variable mileage limit.

So if I got the oil changed at 30000 miles on a car set to variable services how would it effect it ??? Would the service indication still come on for its service approaching 40000. If it's all the garage does without resetting anything or will the sensors pick up its fresh oil and change the service interval itself

Cheers

Yes, assuming the service indicator was reset at the 20K service. Changing the oil at 30K won't affect the mileage you get before the car asks for a service by much due to all of the other inputs used to prompt the 'service now' warning.

Quite a few people have the oil swapped out half way through a variable service.

Thanks, I've decided to pass up on that one with 24k service interval.

Plenty more to choose from with better history.

Does the CR170 share the same engine as the 170 Audi A4?

Edit: More to the point, does it share the same design/problem with the oil pump drive?

Is the oil pump in the CR170 chain driven?

What's changes are they between CBBB and CFGB engines found in the 170 superb?

Edited by kouki