Superb reversing camera RVC

Hi all,

Just thought I let you know that I got my RVC working. Not all easy but for $140 it was worth it.
If you have any questions, i'll see if I can help.

Stu

Hi all,

Just thought I let you know that I got my RVC working. Not all easy but for $140 it was worth it.

If you have any questions, i'll see if I can help.

Stu

can i ask what kit & where did you fit it as I'm looking too add this to mine soon...any photos of it fitted

I bought this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310895410973?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&clk_rvr_id=834347293993&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

I had to cut the rear door hole with a dremel grinder to fit but it's fits perfectly.

I'll take some photos and post them.

The screen displays the camera and the sensor display simultaneously.

• Like 1

Do you get everything you need to get it working out of the box.

I was told by a local installer that some sort of video box was needed, something like this http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/ima-multimedia-adapter/ima-accessories/rear-view-camera-interface-vw-camera-low-ima-can

Everything worked. The kit I got was the low-line kit. I was not interested in moving lines. I did not need that box.

Everything worked. The kit I got was the low-line kit. I was not interested in moving lines. I did not need that box.

Thats great, thanks, I`ll give it a go. I`m guessing you have the Columbus fitted , same as me

Also, do you have the estate. Not sure if it makes any difference

Thats great, thanks, I`ll give it a go. I`m guessing you have the Columbus fitted , same as me

Also, do you have the estate. Not sure if it makes any difference

Yes, I have the columbus. Yes, It's an estate.

Got any pictures of the install? Did you have to run alot of cables? More info please :-)

No, pics of the actual install. Too busy installing. There are only a few cable.

First to the Columbus head unit.

Second to the fuse box ( you also run to the battery with a inline fuse in the V6 model but you have to go near the fuse box to run the first cable).

Third to an earth.

Fourth to the reverse light wire.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Looking good.

Just bought me a Superb 2011 and want to install a RVC.

I have a COLUMBUS.

I'm very interested in the camera you mounted, since it has a direct CVBS connection and don't need a adapter like this: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras/cvbs-to-rgb-rear-view-camera/

How much bigger did you need to make the hole? Was it a lot of work to make it fit? :)

Also, how much work was it to run the cables?

Have never own a Skoda before, and I'm not sure how/where to run the cables.

Did it come with any instructions? :)

JM

Hi,

Looking good.

Just bought me a Superb 2011 and want to install a RVC.

I have a COLUMBUS.

I'm very interested in the camera you mounted, since it has a direct CVBS connection and don't need a adapter like this: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras/cvbs-to-rgb-rear-view-camera/

How much bigger did you need to make the hole? Was it a lot of work to make it fit? :)

Also, how much work was it to run the cables?

Have never own a Skoda before, and I'm not sure how/where to run the cables.

Did it come with any instructions? :)

JM

I used a Dremel with metal cutting discs and steady hand. I think it needed approx 10mm on each side but make sure you measure 5 times cut once.

The cable running took about 2 hours with no instructions. Other posts give you some ideas. I just tried to stay away from airbags.

S28,

If you have a V6 I guess it has a TV tuner. Do the camera and TV tuner work o.k.?

I have an Australian model Superb with a Columbus with no TV tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Australian model Superb with a Columbus with no TV tuner.

Me again. I`ve finally gone and bought the same kit but I`m a bit unsure as to where the 3 wires, red, blue and brown are connected to. I`m guessing the brown one goes to the reverse light as its shorter than the other two but the other two are a bit of a mystery. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Me again. I`ve finally gone and bought the same kit but I`m a bit unsure as to where the 3 wires, red, blue and brown are connected to. I`m guessing the brown one goes to the reverse light as its shorter than the other two but the other two are a bit of a mystery. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Ok.

Brown goes to earth.

Red goes to 12 Volt.

Blue goes to reverse.

Here are some more photos;

thumb IMG 3540 1024

thumb IMG 3537 1024

The fuse adapter is the easiest thing to do. I found mine easily at the local auto store.

thumb IMG 3539 1024

thumb IMG 3541 1024

I hope this helps.

Edited by S28
  • Like 2

"I hope this helps."

Too right it helps. You`re an absolute star, that makes things a lot easier and more straightforward.

Next time I`m in Oz I`ll look you up and buy you a Tooheys, a VB, or a Bundaberg, whatever is your chosen liquid refreshment.

"I hope this helps."

Too right it helps. You`re an absolute star, that makes things a lot easier and more straightforward.

Next time I`m in Oz I`ll look you up and buy you a Tooheys, a VB, or a Bundaberg, whatever is your chosen liquid refreshment.

No problem. A "thanks" is enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to have a stab at this today and almost gave up when trying to get the tailgate trim off. what a pain that was but eventually managed it. The clips at the lock end of the trim were fairly easy to unclip using a trim removal tool but the ones further up the trim were a nightmare. I eventually managed it using a wooden wedge which when pushed up between the trim and the tailgate separated them at the cost of two broken clip holders on the trim but never mind at least it was off.

The next problem, for me anyway, was the size of the new lock/camera. I never noticed it was much bigger than the original and I was expecting to enlarge the hole by about 10mm at each end but it seems that I need to extend the hole by 15mm each end and about 22mm in total in the width. The original is about 72mm x 21mm. The new one is about 102mm x 43mm. Also, as you can see from the photo the two fixing bolts don`t match the original. These pass through a metal surround which goes over the rear of the lock handle and holds the handle in place when the nuts are tightened.

20150807_140329_zpsn6xkiq3p.jpg

And as I don`t have a Dremel or anything similar, I`m a bit reluctant to have a go just yet. I was hoping to be able do the cutting using just a hacksaw blade

Oh. Mine is on its way and I also assumed from the thread it was a tweak rather than major surgery. We shall see!

I finally managed to get round to having a go at fitting the camera this week and it turned out to be a bit of a struggle in places.

With a combination of angle grinder, drills, file and junior hacksaw blade I managed to get the camera  in, I now just have to fabricate some brackets to secure it at the rear.

20150813_165651_zpswp19omib.jpg

20150813_165705_zpsg2uikjca.jpg

I connected the blue wire to the reverse light circuit as per the photo from S28 above. The earth wire to the earthing point again, as indicated in S28`s photo. The live wire I connected to fuse box and to what appears to be the same fuse position as S28 (thanks again) except in my case the position was empty so I just plugged into that, no fuse tap needed.

20150813_165827_zpstlpihygn.jpg

I plugged in my new VCDS and managed to find a thread that said that I just needed to enable position 6C somewhere which I managed to find and did. Unfortunately it didn`t work. Is there another setting in VCDS that needs enabling?

I think the technical term for the thing I bought is called a fuse breakout. Its a wire with a fuse at one end which plugs into the fuse holder the other end connects to the feed from the camera. Its a temporary rush job. I just wanted to see it working and couldn`t wait for some fuse taps from Ebay. Alas it was not to be as it didn`t work anyway. I suspect (I`m hoping) its a missed setting in VCDS, failing that it could be the scotchlock at the reverse wire.