Superb reversing camera RVC

That's right yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that there is another cable that plugs straight into the back of the Columbus, a multi-pin locking type of connector which has at the camera end a 4-pin round connector.

I posted a picture at #9 in the below thread. You should be able to make out the black connector next to the camera which plugs into the back of the Columbus. The other end plugs into the camera's blue connector

www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363946-retrofit-rear-view-reverse-camera-superb-3t-kombi/

Can anybody help me with VCDS coding of this camera. I`ve hunted through the forum and found various threads with basic instructions of how to do it but for me, a complete novice with VCDS, (I`ve only just bought it) they are a bit too basic and assume some knowledge, of which I have none.

An easy to follow, step by step idiots guide would be a great help.

My car is a 2010 Superb estate diesel elegance

Panic over. I've managed to get it working. It was nothing to do with vcds, the problem was down to the damn scotchlock I used for the connection to the reverse light. I should have known better.

• Like 1

Just bought a 2012 Superb Elegance wagon here in Australia, and was disappointed it didn't have a reverse camera like a couple of others I test drove. 

Saw this thread and I'l relieved I can self install one, although a little nervous about taking a dremmel to the tailgate.

For about double the price, I saw this Superb specific factory reverse camera kit from Germany

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-Skoda-RVC-RF-Reversing-Camera-Columbus-Superb-Saloon-Station-Wagon-RS-/281684093351?

Otherwise it looks identical. Bit torn about whether saving $140 is worth the hassle & risk of cutting a bigger hole. Anyone used this kit?

I didn't use that but I wish I'd seen it before I fitted the one I have. Once I'd made the decision to have a go and cut the hole out it wasn't so bad, I just got on with it and did it.

My issue is with the image quality of the camera on the Columbus, it is poor. Is very dark and no amount of tweaking with brightness/contrast/colour settings makes it any better. If it is genuine Skoda I'd say go for it.

This is the picture I`m getting. Has anybody got any suggestions as why this could be before I get onto China for a replacement. This is about the best I can get after tweaking all the display settings.

2015-08-20%2011.50.28_zpscjjp8vwc.jpg

All connections are tightly fitted, wire connected to reverse light and soldered (no scotchlocks), 12v feed connected to fuse box, now via an ignition switched live, earthed and cable connected to rear of Columbus. Appropriate codings done in VCDS (I think)

Sorry for the problems you are having. My camera looks just as a factory image should.

I could only suggest a good lens clean and make sure it is not getting a flare of something. Also check that the connection into the columbus is fully seated.

Sorry for the problems you are having. My camera looks just as a factory image should.

I could only suggest a good lens clean and make sure it is not getting a flare of something. Also check that the connection into the columbus is fully seated.

No apology needed. My next job was to check the connection to the Columbus, I'll have a look at that tomorrow. I did think about flare but the image is the same no matter where I look at it.

I have contacted the seller of those reverse cameras in Germany via ebay & they sent me 2 different PDF's with install instructions. I guess you can copy & paste the text into a translator, but the photos are quite good also.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68MK4QD9gzdVBncXBXS0txMFNsQ0d2SUVRYWQ4ZE9ZTVlB/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_68MK4QD9gzVzRfYmpIOFpjdHlYbTVBaFAzNy1tbTg2eVNF/view?usp=sharing

If you search www.aliexpress.com for "vw oem reverse camera" you will find lots of variants of the reverse camera for only around $150 AUD.  No hits on "skoda oem reverse camera" but the VW ones seem to be the same.

Some have the camera as a separate small unit, others have one integrated into the release handle. 

Edited by AussieAnth

Thanks AussieAnth for that info, it will come in handy if I have to re-install mine.

My RVC install saga continues.

I contacted the Chinese seller and they have so far agreed to send a new cable between the Columbus and the camera, I`m waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime though I decided to change the method of connecting to the fusebox for power. From the photo below I removed the top connector and replaced it with a fuse tap, then connected it to one of the empty fuse positions above the original. All of these seem to be ignition controlled.

20150829_123706_zps6vigpfmu.jpg

20150813_165827_zpstlpihygn.jpg

I then tried the camera and lo and behold it worked, I got a crystal clear image on my Columbus instead of the dull image I previously got.

My joy was short lived though because now and again the image reverts back to the dull image. All this seems to suggest that the camera is working fine and there is something wrong with my wiring.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong are welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the replacement cable from China, (to be fair the Ebay seller has been brilliant) fitted it and thankfully it worked. I don't know what could be wrong with the old cable, it looks OK to me but whatever it is I am now getting a perfectly clear picture on my Columbus.

One thing this whole saga has taught me is never again. If I ever buy another Superb I'll be leaving well alone, it's just not worth the work involved.

• 3 years later...