Boot lock busted

weasley

I came home tonight and the wife reported "I can't close the boot". Sure enough, it just bounced and pushing the 'open' button on the tailgate resulted in a brief 'drilling' sound. No amount of tapping, hitting, whacking, locking, unlocking or anything solved it.

So I took the lower tailgate trim off (what a pain that is, but eased by an excellent diagram I found on this very forum) and discovered I don't have a socket suitable for getting the boot latch off. A dash to Halfords remedied that (it's a splined-drive type, but a T40 Torx undoes it) and so I got the latch off. It is a single unit comprising the latch and opening 'solenoid' which is sealed... but not sealed enough to stop me getting in! On disassembly I found that a plastic worm gear had sheared, which rendered the whole opening mechanism useless and had the unfortunate side effect of failing the latch in the 'open' state, hence the boot wouldn't shut.

The 'solenoid' is actually a motor that turns a plastic worm gear; this worm gear slides a plastic.... slider.... along to pop the latch mechanism open. The motor stops when the slider reaches its limit and there is a spring that winds the gear back again when the motor stops applying torque. The drilling sound was this motor spinning the broken worm gear and grinding the broken parts together.

The only solution is going to be a new latch unit... after posting this I will be trawling the 'Net for a part number and possible supplier. Failing that I'll have to call a dealer tomorrow. Until then I have managed to remove the broken worm gear, meaning the latch will close but we now can't open the boot without climbing in from the rear seats and operating the emergency unlock. At least it is secure and safe.

• Like 4

YES!!! That's it! Thanks a lot, I have looked all over the place. Not that expensive either.

OK, so rather than ordering the second hand part that Urrell helpfully found (for which I am very grateful as it really opened up my search options) for €34 + shipping, I phoned Ridgeway Skoda in Newbury this morning.  The very helpful parts guy confirmed the part number for me and told me it is £26.17 inc VAT.  He didn't have one in stock (I am not surprised by this) but he reckons he'll have one in for me tomorrow!

As we were chatting about which part I needed I was describing it to him and he asked "are you looking at the same picture as me?!" - that partscats link is invaluable! 

Here is the part in question; this is the solenoid mechanism removed from the latch and opened up...

17338617824_a311a762da_z.jpg

• Like 3

I'm glad you labelled the motor correctly on your photo - you saved me pointing out that it is a motor, not a solenoid.  Oh, hang on...

(And the "slider thing" + "plastic worm gear" is more properly called a screw linear actuator.)

• Like 1

OK, so rather than ordering the second hand part that Urrell helpfully found (for which I am very grateful as it really opened up my search options) for €34 + shipping, I phoned Ridgeway Skoda in Newbury this morning.  The very helpful parts guy confirmed the part number for me and told me it is £26.17 inc VAT.  He didn't have one in stock (I am not surprised by this) but he reckons he'll have one in for me tomorrow!

As we were chatting about which part I needed I was describing it to him and he asked "are you looking at the same picture as me?!" - that partscats link is invaluable! 

Here is the part in question; this is the solenoid mechanism removed from the latch and opened up...

17338617824_a311a762da_z.jpg

That motor looks as if it would go into my "that looks useful for something" box! Too good to throw away.

Fred

• Like 1

And it's fixed! I got a call from the dealer at 08:30 this morning... parts are in. I collected them later and 10 minutes after getting home it was all sorted (I had left the boot trim off, so all I had to do was bolt the new part on, plug in the connector and bash the trim panel back on).

I am very impressed with the parts dept at Ridgeway Skoda Newbury... because it was a BH weekend coming he put it on special order so it would arrive next day and I wouldn't have to wait until Tuesday (it's normally a 48 hr order time). He did this without being asked and only mentioned what he'd done when I was positive to him about the service and price.

Edited by weasley

• 1 year later...

Hi, the boot lock on my Yeti has just failed - is the replacement part still available (the link from Urrell does not work)?

Read post #7

Edit: Lid Lock up to 07.11.2010 part no "5L6827505B" after 08.11.2010 part no "5L6827505C"

Edited by Urrell

• 2 years later...

I wonder if www.skiffy.com has any of the nylon bits or may be persuaded to make them.     The linear actuator must be a fairly common thing used in all sorts of different applications.......I can't imagine Skoda/VW had the bits specially made?

Dennis

thats all right I'm 75 years old and still going strong!

Woops No I didn't look at date.......just interested me because my boot light is not working.....plucking up courage to remove tailgate trim eventually.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Can I start off by thanking those above who have helped me quickly diagnose and repair this fault on SWMBO Yeti.

For those of you are afflicted with the same issue, the part number is the same but is revised or made by a different supplier as it’s now 5L6-827-505-E and cost me £42.25 from my local dealer (they had one in stock) I was also quoted £80 labour to fit for those who aren’t happy doing this themselves. (The price from a local independent to supply and fit was very comparable)

The hardest part is removing the tailgate trim, which isn’t for the feint hearted and requires some brute force and levers (I found wooden spoons to be handy when it started to move) and you only really need to open the bottom part up and not remove the whole trim to gain access to the lock.

The whole operation of replacing it takes just a few minutes when you get the trim separated. Beware the size 8, 3 square spline headed bolts, I managed with a good T40 torx  bit - but was getting ready to go and buy one which wouldn’t be a bad idea.

From failure to fix in 12 hours.

The mechanism had failed exactly the same as above, and there are plenty of YouTube videos on this failure on a range of VAG cars to be found.

Anyhow, thanks again.

• Like 2