2012 Bolero Media Question

Ryeman

My music is accessed via an SD card in the Bolero but when I get in the car with my phone it defaults to my phones Bluetooth (BT Audio) instead of the SD card -

Now

I've ordered a 64gb iPod Touch (surely enough for me) and I'm wondering if it will default to the Touch (Bluetooth activated) instead of my phone?

You just need to disable BT priority.

For a dumb tech person is the via the maxi dot/audio/...etc?

If so, and I want to use the Touch instead of the SD card, there are two Bluetooths (phone and Touch) is that possible?

Edited by Ryeman

Just re-reading this and maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I don't believe there's a way for both to be connected at once and I thought you just didn't want the BT audio activating as you got in the car!

The SD card is normally the best and easiest place to store your beats man! :dance:

I had to 'reset' my PC and thus lost the apps which would convert my iTunes library content to an SD loadable format -anyone got a link to the required apps (my son can't at the moment).

I don't know what audio formats the Bolero supports these days but if you need to you can convert from AAC/AIFF to MP3 within iTunes itself:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204310

Just re-reading this and maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I don't believe there's a way for both to be connected at once

The SD card is normally the best and easiest place to store your beats man!

I believe it is possible to have two devices connected via BT, one to use as a phone and one as a streaming audio source, though I've not tried it myself.  It's probably just a question of configuring the devices to use their respective bluetooth parings for the required purpose.

I would agree, though, that SD card is a whole lot simpler, even if like me you have one of the early Boleros with the very slow scan problem when you insert a new card.  (There is a workaround available that requires you to use a deep folder structure on the SD card to "hide" the actual music tracks; you then access the tracks via playlists in the root folder.  There is also supposed to be a fix for the problem that dealers can install, but I have so far had no luck finding a dealer who will even acknowledge that it exists, let alone do it - not even for ready money.)  If you have a large enough SD card, you shouldn't need to swap cards all that frequently anyway - IIRC even my 2010 Bolero can handle 32GB which is more than enough choice for me.

You just need to disable BT priority.

I didn't even know that this was possible.  Can you provide instructions as to how to enable BT priority?  I'd love to have the Bolero stick with BT audio when I want to use a navigation app on my phone.  Normal behaviour on my unit is that it reverts back to the radio/CD/SD Card whenever there's no audio coming through on BT, and it's a manual process to tell it to go back to streaming via the BT.  Which is basically useless for navigation if you don't want background music as well.

Edited by ejstubbs

Thanks for the link ej

Me thinks there's a business opportunity for people who can get their head around this stuff.

My 2012 Bolero just plays what was last playing - which is the SD card 99.9% of the time. I sometimes switch source to BT Audio, but usually switch back before taking the key out. My phone always pairs with the Bolero, for both phone & audio, but hasn't (so far) started instead of the SD card.

Can you provide instructions as to how to enable BT priority?

Maybe another ambiguous reply on my behalf! :blush:

I was referring to 'Media/Bluetooth Audio Autoplay' which enables the BT to take priority and play instead of one of the other sources.

As a demonstration of my tech ineptitudeness(?) I tried using the phone directly via the Bolero screen which appeared to work but strangely corrupted the call numbers; as a result I'm still confused as to why it gives you the impression that that method will work when it's the wrong way to phone......you use the wheel/MFD instead.

It's a bit of a mystery still.

So how do you enable 'Media/Bluetooth Audio Autoplay'?  I don't recall seeing it on the Bolero menus before.

It may be down to whatever firmware your Columbus is but normally you just press 'Setup' and go from there......

It seems I'm best simply using the AUX input, that way all options (CD SD BT and AUX) are all available at any time.

lost the apps which would convert my iTunes library content to an SD loadable format

I don't use any apps - I create a temp folder with sub folders for each artist on my desktop and then just drag music files from ITunes across to the relevant folder. When I've got what I want I then close ITunes and open an Explorer window for the SD card. Drag all the sub folders into the SD card. I get a mix of .mp3 and .m4a files but they all play fine.

• Like 1

I must have had painted on eyes when I first read this post! :o

As BT with Bolero isn't that common, I wrongly presumed it was a Columbus and answered as such. Oops.

I would be interested to see if two BT devices can be connected at the same time as has been intimated earlier though.

^^^^ I don't think so.

I've given up on that....AUX 'll do the trick.

There are just so many choices and versions of the audio systems I take my hat off to a service division that can get their head around them all.

Just reading this, awaiting collection of my Yeti on Friday and having read the on-line manual I'm looking forward to my new car and see that the Bolero system is quite impressive. I wonder if there is demand for a Bolero hints and tips thread in the useful info stickie?

In terms of how to store your sounds - in previous cars with USB I have used free Doubletwist software to sync the finger drive with iTunes. It keeps the play list and menu structure and is simple to update by syncing without the need to delete everything and reload it.

I'm presuming an SD card can be used in the same way.

^^^id vote for that.

The capability of modern ICE systems is, for me at least, almost a black art with printed instructions full of terminology that is akin to Russian.

In terms of how to store your sounds - in previous cars with USB I have used free Doubletwist software to sync the finger drive with iTunes. It keeps the play list and menu structure and is simple to update by syncing without the need to delete everything and reload it.

I'm presuming an SD card can be used in the same way.

I have about 80 albums on an SD card and update it by just dragging the album folders out of Windows Media Library and it updates instantly with no problems, "drag & drop" at its finest.

Image2_zpsuercn2c3.jpg

Ryeman, I've just been looking through the menus on my Bolero (mine is a May'12 build). Press Setup (bottom right), then touch the Media option. There is a BT audio autoplay tick box - is this selected on yours?

Ryeman, I've just been looking through the menus on my Bolero (mine is a May'12 build). Press Setup (bottom right), then touch the Media option. There is a BT audio autoplay tick box - is this selected on yours?

Yes, I deselected it cos it defaults to my phones ring tone I think when I have 'Media' selected and I had to comstantly re select SD.

So does that mean if I re select it it will Bluetooth my music on the iPod Touch and allow BT Phone as well?

Well, I've finally worked it out.....I think/hope.

You can have two Bluetooth connections BUT they must be 'discovered' and paired AND only by using the steering wheel control and the MFD ...

AND via 'Phone' > 'Bluetooth' and then 'Media' etc

The Bolero 'Set Up' button does NOT get you there.......that's confusing to me but maybe it has some subsequent use afterwards.

Strangely, my 'Radio Bolero - Owners Manual' makes no mention of 'streaming', ......also

Why does it have a Phone button at all seeing you're supposed to operate the phone via the s wheel controls?

Why does it have a Phone button at all seeing you're supposed to operate the phone via the s wheel controls?

For cars that don't have the MFSW?  I'm not sure whether they offer that combination ie Bolero + BT but without MFSW but if they did then you'd need a way to operate the phone.  It also allows a front seat passenger to make calls, avoiding distracting the driver.

I find it quite useful, actually.  The six presets allow you to dial frequently-used numbers by pressing the phone button on the Bolero and selecting the preset you want - much quicker than navigating the phone list using the MFSW, and vastly more reliable than voice dialling.