Noisy Tyres

Is Otaylor38 still around these days?

He (like me) has suffered from noisy Bridgestone Turanza ER 300's. He changed some months ago to Goodyear Vector4 all season tyres, and reported favourably re the considerable reduction in road noise.

I wonder how he is getting on with these tyres, and if he is still happy with them?

I hope he sees this thread :happy:

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1

He is, but he has mysteriously changed his username.

Its me ;) haha.

Still spot on with em mate. Plenty of grip, i tried an emergency stop in a wet greasy carpark last week from 40mph to see. They just gripped, ABS didnt need to kick in or anything.

Cars got 19k on the clock now, had about 15 when i changed i think, tyres still look like new, I'll check the tread depth later if you're interested?

Only thing i will say is they arent quite as precise around country roads when turning in as summers. Youll know what i mean if youve driven with winters before, they dont feel as sharp, but im used to it now so doesnt bother me.

Not had them squealing round round corners like you can with full winters either... But the weather isnt too warm yet so we'll see haha

• Like 2

Well hello 'Otaylor38' (now in disguise)

Glad to hear that you are happy with the Goodyear tyres - I definitely think they will be my choice when the time comes for renewal.

It's ironic that the Bridgestones (that I dislike so much) are wearing so well - so still some way to go before change takes place. In the past some tyres I have liked have worn so quickly! There's no justice!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

• Like 1

Well hello 'Otaylor38' (now in disguise)

Glad to hear that you are happy with the Goodyear tyres - I definitely think they will be my choice when the time comes for renewal.

It's ironic that the Bridgestones (that I dislike so much) are wearing so well - so still some way to go before change takes place. In the past some tyres I have liked have worn so quickly! There's no justice!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

Haa. I think my fronts had about 3mm tread left after 15k so i binned them.. The rears were obviously had plenty on so i sold them to some bloke for his cheap run about second car. The 195 55 r15 size doesnt seem that common though so not too easy to shift.

Im glad i forked out and made the change, especially in winter around here, the bridgestones were useless in the snow. The 4 seasons arent as good as narrower full winters, but theyre not bad. I never got stuck, even up some fairly steep hills which I've stopped on just to see if i could get going again in about 4/6inches of snow. It did go, wasnt effortless though haha.

I probably wouldnt have them on a hot hatch or anything like that because of the precision, but for a regular hatch i think theyre spot on tbh

• Like 2

I had exactly the same trouble with my Turanza's. Noise! So changed them for 'Hankook'. Got a brilliant deal from Event tyres who came to my home and changed them on my drive. They're pretty much nationwide I think. Tyres were normally £85+ each, but the deal was for £64 each. Excellent tyres and very quiet. The bonus was that Event tyres also puts the 'old wind' from your old tyres in a bag for you to use in the future. They only put brand new wind in your new tyres!!

• Like 2

Not even ordinary air they use, it is Heavy Air which reduces the risk of punctures and also reduces the noise.

• Like 1

Have been very interested in the recently announced Michelin 'Cross Climate' tyre - looks good. Will have to investigate further as I have a secret respect for Michelin products from way back

Have been very interested in the recently announced Michelin 'Cross Climate' tyre - looks good. Will have to investigate further as I have a secret respect for Michelin products from way back

I was wanting some michelins when i got mine, always thought they were the best, and its all I'll have on the bike.

But got warned off by quite a few people on here and the goodyears won, or nearly won every test going for all season tyres, so that swayed my purchase.

That sounds like a new tyre though?

It is relatively new. It has some good but limited reviews. I'm just watching and waiting for them to come down in price but being all season they are not likely to be on offer much as they are always 'in season'

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I was quite impressed with the Dunlop blueresponse eco / low rolling resistance tyres I replaced the Dunlop sport01's on my GLII

only at very low temps over winter did they show any signs of lower grip, but no less than the sport01's

did not see any real measurable improvements in mpg (I do keep very detailed records), but quiet and reasonable grip in the 5,000 miles I had them on before I sold the car only dropped from 8mm to 6-6.5mm of tread so life looked good as well

I got 4 x 205/45 R 16 all-season tyres made by Nankang under the "Star Performer" brand name for around £45 each.  I was a bit hesitant, but they are so much better than those  Turanzas - they have great all-round grip, and are much, much quieter.  The choice in this size is restricted, but I would recommend them.  They seem to be wearing very well so far.

Thanks for your post Bluecar 1

I had a search on the net to find someone mentioning that these were the quietest tyres they had ever known! (Dunlop Blue Response)

The noise level with the bridgestone ER300's is frankly unacceptable. Even at 5-10 mph you can hear them generating rolling 'roar'. As a pedestrian you can hear the tyres start to 'roar' as the car just pulls away from you. At last there seems to be a growing list of quiet tyres that offer good performance.

Edited by 2ndskoda

Although I have the Fabia Mk3 Estate, I have also found the Bridgestone Turanzas noisy and will not be replacing them with same when required. I normally put Michelins on, however have also been reading good things about the Dunlops.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input Guys - 

that's three now on my list to consider.

Interesting thing is we never hear from Michelin booted owners - I would have thought there would be many extolling the virtues of Michelin, after all they really were the noted quiet tyre for many many years

I was never keen on Turanza's, changed my Fabia 1.2 HTP onto Avon's and found them much quieter and a nice ride, I have just put 4 Avon ZV5's onto my newly acquired Rover 75 and they are great. Good 'middle of the range' tyres.

Thanks for the input Guys - 

that's three now on my list to consider.

Interesting thing is we never hear from Michelin booted owners - I would have thought there would be many extolling the virtues of Michelin, after all they really were the noted quiet tyre for many many years

Having Michelin Pilot Sport 3s fitted tomorrow, will report back comparing to the current Dunlop SportMaxxes.

• Like 1

BUMP

Where are you Lee - Many of us would like to know if you got the Michelin's fitted, and what you think of them?

Hello.

Yes, had the Michelin PS3s fitted and got the car onto a Hunter rig to have the wheel alignment checked for good measure. Initial, and subjective of course, impressions are the tyres seem quieter and more stable under load. The ride appears to be less harsh though that could be down to simply newer and increased rubber on the road compared to the original-fit Dunlops. Not had a long-run, let alone a, ahem, 'sprited' one yet so will update when I can. Hopefully the rain will hold-off but other reports indicate the PS3 is stable and aquaplane-resistent so that could be a good test too.

Edited by Lee