Octavia Classic centre locking, locks and unlocks as I drive...

I can see that centre locking problems are all part of the fun of owning a VAG product...

Got a 53 plate octavia sdi with centre locking (no remote) and without electric windows or mirrors.  Every now and then the centre locking would activate as I drove, oddly with a load in the car it happens much more frequently, could be related to vibration from the road surface?

Anyway, last night it got silly, half way through a five hundred mile run the centre locking started locking and unlocking almost without a break. On a layby I took out the fuse (could live without my interior lights) and went on my way. The door open light remained on though and when I reached home and went to open the door (from the inside) the cable (I guess) snapped and the interior handle did nothing. Wound the window down and the door opened fine with the exterior handle. I had to replace the locking/int lamp fuse to get the door open light to go out even without the key in the ignition.

I've seen posts for replacing the door release cable, my question is how to sort out the centre locking from doing it's lock/unlock routine while I'm driving? Any ideas most welcome!!!

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Most likely a chafed or broken wire. Check first in the snake tube between the door and the body and the wires a few inches each side of where they enter/leave the tube.