Headlight washer

Hi all

Just failed MOT on headlight washer not working.  The aftermarket HID was fitted by the previous owner.

Both washer doesn't come up.  No water leaking any where and the 15amp fuse looks okay.

I can't think what the problem is other than an electrical issue or pop up mechanism is broken.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Failed pump? It's a separate pump to the windscreen/rear window one.

Number 6 on here....

fabia_mk1_3188.png

Does it actually have headlight washers?

If the HIDS are aftermarket, it won't have had the washers from the factory.

Check there is actually something under the covers and that they're not just there for show.

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 1

Does it actually have headlight washers?

If the HIDS are aftermarket, it won't have had the washers from the factory.

Check there is actually something under the covers and that they're not just there for show.

Good point!

They definitely worked in the past because I didn't know I had them until a friend show me after 2 years of owning the car...it was quite embarrassing :sweat:    

How do the pop up mechanism operate? Is it via a electric motor or hydraulic? 

Okay, I'll try doing that and see if the pump is actually working.  Just called Skoda and they want ~£60 + VAT for the unit.  The Skoda guy was pretty shocked as 1) it's quite rare to have them fitted as standard 2) he doesn't remember if they ever had to replace one.  

Just to report back. I managed to get it working again but not really sure why. I'm guessing disconnecting the electrical system reset everything.

Is there a leak?

Obvious first thing to check.  Is there water leaking somewhere (where it shouldn't) when the washer is activated? 

Is the headlight pump working?

Next I tested the pump itself first by remove the passenger wheel and arch trim to access the pump which sits underneath the washer tank.  If you haven't got small fingers then removing the bumper helps a lot.

There's two pumps; one for the screen washer and the one headlight washer.  The one closes to you and smallest one is the one you need.  If you're concern which one is the right one then put your finger on the pump while a friend operates the screen washer. You should feel it vibrating/operating. The one not vibrating is obviously the headlight washer.

Disconnect the electric connector using a small flat blade screwdriver.  The water hose is connected via a de-attachable clip which again can be plied out with a screwdriver. Don't lose that clip. The pump can then be pull out from the seal.  It's quite a tight fit so you will need some force to pile it out.  Just be careful that water will start pouring out if you have some left in the tank.  

To check if the pump is working so you can directly connect it to the car battery via wires to see if it spins. It's operates on 12V, it's stated on the side of the housing.  

Is there a blockage in the hose / washers?

At this stage with the pump out you can push compress air down the pipes to try and clean any blockages and ensure the washers do actually rise up.  Alternatively right at the start when everything is connected you can lift the washer up with your hand from the bumper and manually pump the system. This may unblock blockages in the hose.  If you fill the water to the top you will see air bubbles coming out if the pumping action is working.

Is the relay / fuse working?

Accessing the fuses (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/23411-fuses-on-a-fabia/)

and which fuse (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294383-the-mki-fabia-fuse-layout-post-updated-with-bulb-types/).  Should be item 64, 20amp fuse.

Accessing the relay (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/61180-fabia-evap-temp-sensor-how-to-with-pics/). It's behind the steering wheel.

and which relay (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/241913-relay-numbers/).  Should be item 6.  You can use a multi meter to check continuity on the relay.  Also try operating the screen washer with the relay in and see if you feel the relay *clicking*.  That should give you an idea if the part is working normal and that something else is wrong. 

Remember the headlight washer will only work when the headlights are on.  The logic in the system means the headlight washer will only come up every 5-6 washes and the wash that operates the headlight on needs to be at least 1 sec.

Sorry I didn't have any photos.  Time was a factor and I need the diagnostic done ASAP. 

Edited by nightkid