Best place for a remap

A little late chipping in on this, but while it is a relaively current thread - has anyone on here had the opportuinity to drive/experience both Faboka's map and one from Shark? 

I'm interested to know if there are differnces in how the power is delivered and the responsiveness of the car afterwards.  Have heard plenty about other maps that put the power out, but only in one big useless lump higher up the rev range, while Faboka and Shark both seem to shine on here in terms of the reviews they get. They're both clearly excellent maps and installed by great people who know what they are doing, so it would be good to know a little more aboutt he differences between them, regrdless of which map people personally prefer.

• Like 1

I have a Shark remap and it does well against other fabias that have clearly had a remap but the maps aren't quite as good. It more than keeps up against my mates Scirocco too. I average 50 MPG so it's still good on fuel. They're based in Mansfield.

A little late chipping in on this, but while it is a relaively current thread - has anyone on here had the opportuinity to drive/experience both Faboka's map and one from Shark?

I'm interested to know if there are differnces in how the power is delivered and the responsiveness of the car afterwards. Have heard plenty about other maps that put the power out, but only in one big useless lump higher up the rev range, while Faboka and Shark both seem to shine on here in terms of the reviews they get. They're both clearly excellent maps and installed by great people who know what they are doing, so it would be good to know a little more aboutt he differences between them, regrdless of which map people personally prefer.

Interesting point, i've heard that Faboka's is evenly distributed throughout the rev range which is what i'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested to know if there are differnces in how the power is delivered and the responsiveness of the car afterwards.  Have heard plenty about other maps that put the power out, but only in one big useless lump higher up the rev range, while Faboka and Shark both seem to shine on here in terms of the reviews they get. They're both clearly excellent maps and installed by great people who know what they are doing, so it would be good to know a little more aboutt he differences between them, regrdless of which map people personally prefer.

I'm not in a position to fully comment on this question, as I haven't run the same hardware back-to-back with both a Shark and then Faboka map.

However... I have run maps from both these companies.

I had a Shark stage 1 map when I was running an otherwise standard engine and turbo. Smoke levels were hardly any different than standard and it was a big improvement. My turbo did blow on this map eventually, but that's probably just coincidence.

After upgrading the turbo I had a new map off Shark put on by one of their dealers. The car smoked a fair bit with this on. In all honesty I didn't know much about all this remapping business back then and just assumed that this was the norm. Don't get me wrong it wasn't horrendous, but on WOT it wasn't brilliant. I also found that the car had a fairly large surge of torque low down. Whilst not horrendously spikey, it did mean that the car was not easy to put the power down with when booting it from low revs.

I then upgraded to the 2260 and got John (a.k.a. Faboka) to map it. The difference was unreal! Obviously now some of this is down to the characteristics of the turbo itself, but overall I'm so happy with the work that John has done on the mapping. I chose John's file mapping over email option, and I'm currently on about the twelfth or so map from him. John is somewhat of a perfectionist it seems, so will constantly tweak your map until you're both happy with it. With regards to the delivery of the power... it is far far better than my old hybrid setup. As I currently stand, the car makes about 40bhp more than the old hybrid setup, and it is FAR more tractable now than it ever was. This is testament to the quality of the mapping. Smoke levels are also nowhere near what they were with the hybrid in place.

I'm not slating Shark here, as I know a lot of people are very happy with their work... but I would chose Faboka over them any day of the week for diesel mapping! The effort John puts in is far above and beyond what a normal tuner would do for you without paying them a fortune. I suppose that this comes from John doing this as a sideline - he will spend a vast amount of time with each customer. A big name tuner simply wouldn't have the same amount of time to keep tweaking and data-logging maps until they're pretty much perfect. John however will!

I still think that Shark are an excellent choice when you're looking for a standard stage 1 map. Just not as good as Faboka IMO.

• Like 4

I'm interested to know if there are differnces in how the power is delivered and the responsiveness of the car afterwards. Have heard plenty about other maps that put the power out, but only in one big useless lump higher up the rev range, while Faboka and Shark both seem to shine on here in terms of the reviews they get. They're both clearly excellent maps and installed by great people who know what they are doing, so it would be good to know a little more aboutt he differences between them, regrdless of which map people personally prefer.

I'm not sure about shark but faboka customises the map to your needs. I asked for 180bhp, 280lbft of torque and a gradual torque curve. And that's what I have got ( smooth torque ) and even though I haven't RR it yet, I've timed a few in gear runs and its spot on what proven 180ish cars have run.

I only enjoyed it for a few days until my turbo went, nothing to do with faboka I might add lol.

Went to get my car remapped with John at hidden power today, cannot recommend it enough, great service and the power gain is ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cvrtis
  • Like 2

I've only tried the Quantum maps (they offer 3 different ones:  Economy, mild performance and performance).  On the performance map, the car was putting out about 180BHP but smoked massively and the torque came in a bit too low causing wheelspin in 4th gear (!).  It was unusable really.  The middle map was the best compromise for power/torque but still smoked too much on 3/4 throttle. The "economy" map saw 165BHP (up from the std car's 150 BHP which is surprisingly what the ASZ engine pumped out) and this was the best real-world map with little to no smoke, a more tractable ride and usable power.  0-60 times were a shade over 7 seconds (timed) best and averaged 7.5.  On reflection, with the reports from Fabooka, I would now go to them in future. I will say this though, we've had over 75mpg on a run from the Quantum  map which is the best we've ever had from a 1.9tdi engine and locally with short trips it still returns 55mpg plus unless booted.

Edited by SEVrs

• 11 months later...

Since Faboka has stepped down from the stage, putting a spanner in the works for my plan to get the mapping done, I am now left in a slight pickle. A pickle with a few options. A good few options in fact. My car will soon have a Gtb1756 fitted along with a decat downpipe. Already fitted is a nice thick ths fmic with a Darkside hard pipe kit.

My mapper shortlist so far is as follows:

##!!##h

Awesome GTi

Narco

Diesel powered

Darkside isn't an option as I am fitting parts from several different companies. Not that it particularly bothers me as I find their prices are quite steep.

My main parameters for mappers are: experience with the pd130 engine, experience with tuned pd130 engines, reasonably priced and ideally in the North West of England. A dyno is not essential.

Has anyone anything else to add / suggestions?

I was 100% decided for Faboka to remap the car, but obviously that is no longer possible. So I am in the process of reading up on various other companies. Searching for good and bad feedback from as many as possible!

JRJG

• Like 1

As you know jrjg I am in the same boat as you, I am going with Narco although they are 150 miles from my location, I called them and the person I spoke to was very knowledgeable, custom map with rolling road is £400

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As you know jrjg I am in the same boat as you, I am going with Narco although they are 150 miles from my location, I called them and the person I spoke to was very knowledgeable, custom map with rolling road is £400

That is the problem with Narco, Coventry isn't exactly around the corner for me either.

If they are looking like the best candidates to map your car, I would say it is worth the 300mile round trip.

£400 sounds steep however. 'Down south' prices perhaps?

JRJG

What about jabbasport. They custom mapped my car. Unit 18 said how impressed they were by the map.

£445 for the map and in Lincolnshire, so unfortunately not climbing to the top of the list. They are long time players in the tuning scene though aren't they? That would be a major reassurance.

JRJG

I am also in the same boat as you guys! Still shopping around for a remap... A lot of people have suggested Big Fish Tuning to me. I don't mind travelling within reason for the best service as I want it doing properly, it's just a shame how expensive remaps can be! :(

Ha ha Coventry is up north for me, I'm on the south coast.

There are lots of local mapping places but finding one you trust that has experience of the 1.9tdi and GTB is another thing, it's a gamble so I am playing safe and going to one of the well known players.

I am also in the same boat as you guys! Still shopping around for a remap... A lot of people have suggested Big Fish Tuning to me. I don't mind travelling within reason for the best service as I want it doing properly, it's just a shame how expensive remaps can be! :(

Where a bouts are you located Jamie? As I haven't heard of Big Fish Tuning.

I don't mind travelling either, within reason. Shark gets good reviews but I would rather stick to a specific exclusive diesel tuner if I'm honest.

JRJG

Where a bouts are you located Jamie? As I haven't heard of Big Fish Tuning.

I don't mind travelling either, within reason. Shark gets good reviews but I would rather stick to a specific exclusive diesel tuner if I'm honest.

JRJG

I'm in Newcastle, I believe Big Fish Tuning are located in Stockton which is maybe an hour from me... Are shark remaps like a generic map? Or do they make it custom to your requirements?

I'm in Newcastle, I believe Big Fish Tuning are located in Stockton which is maybe an hour from me... Are shark remaps like a generic map? Or do they make it custom to your requirements?

I see. I don't think so. I think they do generic flash 'stage 1' maps. But also do custom work from what I gather. Seem to be a big name amongst those who have had remaps on the forum.

ive heard ##!!##h are pretty good too?

I assume you meant D3rvt3ch? The forum censors it for some reason. I have heard good things too, they're close by also.

JRJG