Upgrading from Stream Stereo

I own an Octavia II on a 55 plate which has a Stream stereo.  Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to a Bolereo, which I believe has phone bluetooth as well as iPod connectivity?  I don't want to lose my front & rear parking display, outside air temp or climate control displays that the Stream currently has.

It's possible but not cheap, you will need,

A Bolero unit

Updated Can bus gateway to prevent battery drain

Compatible Bluetooth module as Bluetooth isn't built into the Bolero.

An MDI unit for full ipod functionality, or you could just Stream via bluetooth, or for basic use add an AUX cable and socket.

An updated parking controller for parking graphics.

I believe the only way to get the heater graphics back is to install a Polar FIS+, as a bonus this will also bring back the parking graphics without having to update the controller.

There's a big thread on here but search eBay for "as620" - it's an aftermarket direct replacement navigation unit which maintains all the canbus stuff, for about 200 quid

I just ordered an android unit from iceboxauto - don't know if it does any canbus stuff but I don't have parking sensors or climate! Having spotify, torque etc on it should be awesome

Get yourself an X-Car Link , £130 , 10 min job to fit , slaves into cd changer port (piggybacks so retains cd changer). This then gives you Bluetooth hands free calling and Bluetooth music streaming. Great piece of kit.

Just to add some balance from one who has done just that...

Bolero was £100 from the classifieds on here. Bluetooth module was £100 from eBay. Fitting was free & easy - using some top tips found searching various threads on here. You do NOT need a new surround; the Bolero is the same shape as the Stream.

You can stream from your iPhone/iPod over BT (or use the AUX input) but I'm slowly getting my tunes into a 32Gb SD card.

I have to say the Bolero looks way better than the Stream, is easier to use & the phone function is far better than the basic Parrot system I had before. I don't miss the climate or the parking info. If you can find the parts at the right price, do it!

I agree with Britbusdriver, I replaced my old stream to Bolero and looks nice.

I have an OEM USB-->CD Emulator fitted previously, then now I can play music from SD Card, AUX-IN, Internal 6-CD-charger, External USB 6 CD Emulator, .... Bluetooth is also in my way 

• 3 weeks later...

Some useful info here guys, could anyone tell me how I can identify if my car will need the CANBUS upgrade to prevent battery drain with a Bolero head unit?

Just bought a second hand unit from eBay for £150. :thumbup:

What year is it? As a rule of thumb 2007 or earlier generally need the upgrade, 2008 on usually don't. But it's not hard and fast, a scan with vcds is the only sure fire way.

If you don't have vcds I can check for you on Saturday

Brilliant, thanks!!

Cut off point usually on a 57 plate.  An 07 will have been built in 2006 and almost certain to need the upgrade.  

Mike 

Thanks for the advice, will find out for sure on Saturday with Nikonite! Is the upgrade a firmware flash you can apply to the existing gateway, or does a newer gateway module need to be purchased? If it's the latter, I think I have found one on eBay here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131526827860?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe some modules can be updated by dealers but probably cheaper to buy a used one. There is always the chance however slim the previous owner fitted a later head unit and did the upgrade, switching back before sale. The one on eBay is from the forums resident expert on all that is retrofittable (Eddie_nl) so you will at least know it's going to do the job. This is a good guide for compatible Can Gateways:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation_System_%28RNS510%29_Retrofitting

Thanks to Chris (Nikonite) for assisting me with a system scan on my new motor, interesting to see the VCDS menu systems and car software I think that's something I will need to get involved with!! It was of interest for me to note that there was an error code against the aerial, thinking that there might have been some water ingress which has damaged it.

I have done a search and interestingly, found this post from yourself Mike:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/166696-testing-aerial-amplifier/#entry2038473

My AM reception is basically poor to non-existent and I do like to listen to TALKSport, so I guess that I might now need to look at an aerial replacement. Does anyone have a link to the most suitable VAG sharkfin?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replace it with the same.  A lot of folk say the Shark fin is no where as good as far as reception goes. 

Mike

Cheers Mike, I've heard similar things said before. I don't suppose you would have the part number for it handy?

Thanks to Chris (Nikonite) for assisting me with a system scan on my new motor, interesting to see the VCDS menu systems and car software I think that's something I will need to get involved with!! It was of interest for me to note that there was an error code against the aerial, thinking that there might have been some water ingress which has damaged it.

I have done a search and interestingly, found this post from yourself Mike:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/166696-testing-aerial-amplifier/#entry2038473

My AM reception is basically poor to non-existent and I do like to listen to TALKSport, so I guess that I might now need to look at an aerial replacement. Does anyone have a link to the most suitable VAG sharkfin?

You normally get an aerial 'open circuit' fault code when upgrading, as the Bolero has two aeriel inputs and the Stream only had one. You can use a Dual Fakra adaptor, but the fault code will probably remain.

I don't know if it might improve your AM reception though?

• 1 month later...

Ok so a quick update, the Bolero has been fitted for about a month and I've had no issues with the battery drain so all is good there.

My next task is to replace the aerial unit due to the poor quality reception and the code we read on the ECU for a fault with it.

I noticed when I changed over the head unit, the Bolero stereo had a dual FAKRA input on the rear, unfortunately my aerial only has a single connector.

Looks like this will do the job: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I9XNDIQ/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TI3KOCERHML7

Anyone else had to do the same?

Edited by Soonmixdin

One of those should remove the fault code but won't make much difference to the reception.

I put two aerials on the rear side windows on my estate with VW amps. Worked perfectly.

I added one of these to my Columbus retrofit, which, like your Bolero, has two antennae inputs. Using this totally restores the AM as well as keeping the FM. But despite having both aerial inputs connected, there is always a fault code for an open antenna circuit which cannot be cleared with VCDS.

The Columbus is now in my 08 plate estate, but was originally in the 54 plate hatch, and I had exactly the same fault with the setup in that car too.

Mike

Cheers Mike. Did that aerial fault persist even after you replaced the antenna base unit?

I've picked up a replacement base unit, the one with the GPS and radio antennas together. I haven't yet fitted but plan to do so and just leave the GPS antenna disconnected.

I think that I will need one further adapter from RAKU to FAKRA, which I have located here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171479584243?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone got a guide for how to remove the rear headlining to access the aerial base, so I don't damage anything?

Edited by Soonmixdin