3 problems

Last night my car a 1.9 tdi, was running fine, then I stopped it, for about 2 mins while I went to give a customer a shout, got back in and it only just managed to fire up, and was as if it was running on 3 cylinders.

I continued working ,for about an hour, keeping it running, then went home, turned it off and tried to restart with the same problem lumpy idling,

Came out today and it only just caught after cranking a good bit, then it was still as if on 3 cylinders, I then noticed that after about 5 mins of it running, that it had started to smoke at the exhaust like a faint white smoke, I also noticed that when giving it a rev to try and get it to idle without lumpy running that it would only rev to 3K revs.

I had a fully recon head fitted 4 weeks ago and it was running fine, the only problem was restarting it when I came back from 11 nights away on holiday, put that down to the fuel dropping back to the tank somehow and having to crank it back up, it then did 400 trouble free miles, until last night.

Could the crankshaft position sensor be causing this, or the coolant sensor, or something else, it turns over as normal so could rule out battery, and starter

mmmmm

well the white smoke is rarely good news for a diesel, smacks of turbo issues but 1st get a diagnostic, it could be a bad injector, btw mine is new and has a RPM restrictor when in neutral (or something like that, my Transit Tourneo also had it)

Could be almost anything, from a sensor (cam or crank) to fuel filter or shut off valve, im not up on these cars yet, the FRP (Fuel Rail Pressure) is a good indication of fuel flow but I only know about Fords and F Super, have you any DIY diagnostic reader?

I note the oil pressure warning bleeps yet even on cranking it should be good

Edited by lichfielddriver

I wouldn't be running the car given the symptoms you describe.

Given the significant engine work you've had done recently I'd be using what life is still left in the engine to get it back to the garage.

I wouldn't be running the car given the symptoms you describe.

Given the significant engine work you've had done recently I'd be using what life is still left in the engine to get it back to the garage.

That's where I took it, Litchfield was right for once, it only revs over 3K when driven, one of the mechanics said on the phone it could be injectors about 200 each , I said you could get them off ebay for 30 Edited by skippy41