alloy damage - hit motorway debris

Hyeung

Hi,

Was unfortunate in hitting some debris on the motorway this morning resulting instant tyre blowout (ffront driver)

On inspection it looks ok on front facing side.

However one section of inside rim looks damaged or slightly bent? 

The tyre damage was on the same point so suspect that was the point of impact.

Was doing around 50 - 60 ish. ....but saw it too late as there were 2 other cars that broke down due to same issue!

Anyways just wanted to see what the thoughts are on the alloy? Is this gonna cause issues or is the comestic damage going to be fine?

Also do you reckon I would need to be concerned with any alignment issues due to such impact? 

Now on the look out for tyres....any good all season recommends?

Cheers 

HY

post-94135-0-60311200-1432809909_thumb.jpg

post-94135-0-57619700-1432810094_thumb.jpg

The rim looks bent in to me, not just abrasions.
I'd get the wheel off the car to check and probably get a new wheel.
It definitely need tracking/wheel alignment checking after a knock like that.

PS: Love the "Safety Warning" stamped on tyre where damage is. :devil:

As a matter of interest Hyeung, how did the car respond with the "instant blowout", it's not exactly a common thing these days, I think.

Edited by Ryeman

A loud bang on impact and tyre deflated...

just felt a slight pull on steering and could obviously hear the tyre was flat.. ..so pulled in immediately.

There are 2 holes on the tyre caused from impact

How much is a 17" alloy retail at? And is it possible to repair than to replace?

Suggestions to bin the alloy are ridiculously wateful. Unless you're stinking rich, just take the wheel to your local alloy wheel refurb place and have them repair it.

It will come out like a brand new wheel. And cost you about £50-£80.

I have seen wheels in MUCH MUCH MUCH worse condition than that (some have been completely split) be repaired with no bother.

I assume it's safe to use in its current state and will not cause issues or wear?

I assume the point of repairing is to prevent vibrations in the steering?

I had one of my very out of round Audi alloys repaired locally for £60, fantastic job done and you would never know now. Before you could look at it and see how far out it was visually, before it even went on a balancing machine.

The OPs wheel looks like an easy fix that any refurb place should be able to sort.

As regards all season tyres, the new Michelin CrossClimate tyres are now available. I saw them on the Oponeo website if that helps.

Erm, guys someone is to blame here. I hit some debris a few years back and had to do some emergency repairs, as did a coupel of others. The police drove by and stopped and spoke to us all. Anyway, tturns out they tracked down the lorry that dropped the concrete and the driver was done for having an unsecure load and we all got our cars repaired! :)

Might be worth reporting the damage. I found the police to be very helpful.

for the new michelin cross climate tyre they only appear to have size 225/50R 17 98V.

My stock ones are 225/50R17 94W.

Belive the difference is the load and speed rating. 

am I ok for the Michelin configuration?

Figured a higher load is fine but a lower speed rating?

Will insurance company be alive for such things?

Just enquired about these cross climates 225 50 17 98V at costco at £138

Just need if the alloy can be repaired first? then get the tyres followed by getting the alignment checks done.

Hope there's no suspension damage! :(

The alloy can be repaired. That's not even remotely questionable.

Would I drive on it in the meantime? Only if the vibrations are relatively minor and the tyre is holding pressure sufficiently to complete the journey safely. Bear in mind every revolution it is likely a tiny amount of air will escape as the affected part of the wheel takes the load and the tyre is squashed into the rim slightly.

That's a useful document - where did you find it?  If it's online do you have a link?

It's in the Yeti manual. They are on-line Here but make sure you select the correct date for your car at the top of page.

• Like 1

The alloy can be repaired. That's not even remotely questionable.

Would I drive on it in the meantime? Only if the vibrations are relatively minor and the tyre is holding pressure sufficiently to complete the journey safely. Bear in mind every revolution it is likely a tiny amount of air will escape as the affected part of the wheel takes the load and the tyre is squashed into the rim slightly.

Thanks.

At the moment I'm stuck with the temp full size wheel (16") limited to 50mph :(

With no new tyre I can't use the alloy even if I wanted.

Can I ask if that would be the only impact of the alloy in its current state I.e abit of vibration thru the steering and possibly loss of pressure. Or long term would this cause premature wear and damage to other elements of the car?

Hang on, you're not planning on putting a new tyre on a damaged wheel are you?  I suspect most tyre fitting places would decline to do that anyway.

It's a pain having to drive on the spare while the repair is done, but if I were you I'd definitely get the wheel fixed first.

Hang on, you're not planning on putting a new tyre on a damaged wheel are you?  I suspect most tyre fitting places would decline to do that anyway.

It's a pain having to drive on the spare while the repair is done, but if I were you I'd definitely get the wheel fixed first.

Well i had dropped by a local kwitfit for prices and got another opinion on the alloy. Was told it didn't look too bad and advised they could balance it out but might still get some vibration but recommended it was fitted on the rear.

So which is why I ask the further questions.

However I do plan on dropping by a wheel repair shop and see what they say as well.

I'm hating the drive on the spare!

Hi,

Last night I was trying to get some prices for a new replacement to compare the difference for a repair job.

But rather confused as I came across a number of places where the price of a new replacement seems to VARY!?

I'm 2010 model with these 17 Spitzberg but not sure if there were variation in the alloy thru the years to explain the price differences....anyone know?  No idea what part number is mine or what the right one...              

See below...the best price being £160 from Caffyn Skoda?

Just some of few I found....

http://www.caffynsskodaparts.co.uk/product/Skoda_Alloy_Wheel_7.0J_x_17%22_Spitzberg_CCH630003

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/17%22_Spitzberg_Alloy_Wheel_-_Yeti_09%3E_5L0601025A7ZS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Yeti-PA-17-Single-Alloy-Wheel-SPITZBERG-5L0071497F7ZS-/231322141135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35dbdfc1cf