Music / Video format / Hard drive in Columbus

I have just bought a used Superb (2011 model) and was about to load some music onto the hard drive.

After investing £17 in a 32gb card - it seems that either that the unit won't read the card or the songs from iTunes are in the wrong format and need to be changed into MP3 format -  as they won't load into the car.

As this creates duplicates in the iTunes library, I will then have all my music twice which will really annoy me. I have also read that there are issues with the order of songs on the sd card - they all get mixed up and titles/artists aren't recognised.

Are there easy solutions to this - I am a bit of a technophobe ?

Should I just use the iPhone on Bluetooth ? this does work and I have more music than the drive will hold anyway ....

Also, I tried a dvd in the slot and that worked fine - would a video file have to be in a specific format if I put that onto the memory card and tried to play it ? and could I save video onto the hard drive instead ? (it didn't give me the option with the dvd)

Thanks,

Mickey....

The Columbus can only play DVD discs, video from other sources is not supported at all. Don't forget the Columbus is now a very dated system, and most of what we have today in video formats and sources did not exist when the Columbus came around. The earliest Columbus only supports 2GB SD cards because that was the maximum at the time.

• Like 1

My 2011 Columbus has no trouble reading a 32 GB SD card. It needs the music in mp3 or wma format AFAIK. The itunes format is not supported. The Columbus also can't calculate how long a song is if it's encoded as a variable bit rate mp3 (Which saves file space as simpler bits of the song take less data), so it shows the initials VBR and doesn't fill the percentage bar as the song plays.

• Like 1

I discovered that the Columbus will only read MP3.....so I converted all my ITunes songs to MP3 format (using a free download converter) and hey presto....all music plays perfectly from SD card.

I have not tried video from the SD card though....

• Like 1

Wile7 which converter did you use? I found one but it's a laborious job doing it. My iTunes is a right mish mash of formats so it makes it a gamble when transferring to the Columbus if the tracks will play or not as the case maybe.

Hope you can help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Use iTunes to convert to MP3's.

Format SD card to FAT16 (can be done on a Mac).

Search for MP3's on your computer then move those in your 'Music' folder to the SD card thus removing duplicates on your computer.

It may be you need a firmware update to be able to read anything above 2Gb cards.

• Like 1

Wile7 which converter did you use? I found one but it's a laborious job doing it. My iTunes is a right mish mash of formats so it makes it a gamble when transferring to the Columbus if the tracks will play or not as the case maybe.

Hope you can help

Hi Carl - apologies for delay in replying to you...this thread slipped through the net :)

I used MediaHuman on my Mac - but fine for PC too I believe. Very easy to use, free and reliable. Link below:

http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

Dave

Thanks Everyone for your feedback, I've been going through my iTunes library and converting the AAC files to MP3. It's a ball ache with a library of 19000 tracks [emoji45]. It's a good chance as well to sort the collection out with album art etc so it's time well spent. Though SWMBO may not be too chuffed [emoji2]

• 1 month later...