Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

Straight from Skoda UK today, not good news.

All pre week 22 Bolero head units will NOT BE UPDATED with Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

If you want Mirrorlink with Satnav to work you must:

Visit Mirrorlink website, select smartphones and version 1.1 (as we all already knew)

Your phone must be one of the exact model numbers listed (of which we know there are only a few)

You need to buy Sygic the app, THE FULL VERSION (which we knew again) at a cost of £73ish

You must have your compatible phone plugged in via the USB in the car to use Sygic, otherwise if you Bluetooth it it will cut out at 5MPH.

So that little lot will set us all back about £500, when all post week 22 cars now have Amundsen Satnav as a £275 option.

There is a possibility that from Quarter 4 in September there will be an add on for pre week 22 Bolero units to allow Satnav use. Now this is UNCONFIRMED, so please don't quiz me on it, but I should get an update on this on Tuesday when I will speak to them again.

I have told Skoda UK that this is simply not good enough, and I would not expect my brand new car (2 months old) to be out of date already.

I was not told (as the dealers themselves didn't know) that my Bolero could not be updated, but simply told that updates would be available from week 22.

I am waiting until Tuesday to get the latest info, but from that point will be contacting Auto Express and the possibly Watchdog.

Simply very very poor Skoda, my third new Skoda in 4 years may well be my last.

Thanks for info kevrs16 but why nothing official from Skoda UK this just gets more of a farce by the day. They should be contacting people who raised this with Skoda UK I've heard nothing it just stinks .

Thanks for info kevrs16 but why nothing official from Skoda UK this just gets more of a farce by the day. They should be contacting people who raised this with Skoda UK I've heard nothing it just stinks .

Just luck of the draw i'm afraid.

I have been in regular weekly contact with Skoda UK for the past 5 weeks or so, trying to get answers, and to be fair Steph at Skoda UK has called me when she said she would.  

But you are absolutely right, there has never been consistent info coming out from anywhere, and we have all been told different things.

It is simply not good enough, and they are well aware that it will be taken further.

Hopefully Tuesday will bring a clearer picture and a bit more info.

• Like 1

Skoda UK fb standard we are working on it will be in touch answer same on Twitter , customer services tell you something different every time no consistently even with their stories oops I mean answers .

This not the Skoda customers services that I have been used too.

I will be very interested in what they tell you on Tuesday . What ever happens new car experience totally spoilt by this Farce .[emoji19]

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be any tweets to Skoda, vw etc on Twitter from disgruntled customers yet?

I for one will make sure I am fully informed before making an idiot of myself on social media and the media in general.

• Like 1

I sent this to BBC. Hope its good enough :

Hi,

On behalf of myself and many many other Skoda the New Fabia owners, here goes:

First time ever emailing you so here goes.

After the launch of the New Skoda Fabia a lot of us early owners of the cars are feeling really left out. Without any notice or information before hand skoda has updated their infotaintment system to support apple car play and android auto for all new skoda fabias after build week 22. So if for example you ordered a skoda with Bolero system on it before week 22 if the build date for your car would have been after week 22, then you would automatically get their new system which includes gps navigation and obviously the much wanted and needed Apple car play/ android auto.

The cars built before week 22 with Bolera systems have Mirrorlink compatibility which unfortunately is compatible with a handfull of phones. Skoda dealers have presented to myself and other ( search Briskoda forums for infor on this) that Mirrorlink would be compatible with iphones either from very start or with an update this summer. Skoda also had very misleading information on its website making you believe that full compatibility and mirroring of your phone no matter of the brand would be possible. The only thing that it made clear was that the apps to be mirrored had to be Skoda certified.

I have ordered my car on the 24 of March and it was built on week 19, so I am among the plenty of owners who are very unhappy with the promises, false & misleading information presented by skoda and it's dealers. While the car is great to run and i'm happy with it, the mirrorlink compatibility was for me ( and maybe many others) a kick towards the right direction in choosing to buy this car over the competition.

If you search Briskoda.com forums and many other, you will find that a lot of users are very unhappy with this and that we are not being told anything. Skoda customer services only knows that cars built after week 22 will receive updates for their Infotainment systems but doesn't / won't comment on cars built pre week 22. They also offer different "stories"/ answers to the same questions which leaves us to think they are very well in the dark as well. Skoda UK facebook page has been visited as well bh many customers chasing an update on this issue with the only answers being :"we are chasing and update for you on this" or " we're still looking into this for you".

We all find it very frustrating to find out that our cars ( a model which has hit the market for less than a year) have been all but forgotten. Myself for example have only been driving the care for 1 week now. With no possibility to upgrade to the new version, no software updates and most of all no specific clear answers to our questions. For a company that prides itself with great customer service, Skoda has really let us down. You can not sell a car saying all that you are in the advertising, promising updates to the infotaintment system and then deciding that it's time to just, not.

I am writing this with the hopes that maybe you will pick up on this, search and collaborate what I/other customers are saying and do something about. We need to be heard!

I can be contacted on this email address, I live in Lichfield near Birmingham and on request I can provide you with my telephone number.

Please can you confirm receipt of this please and let us know what you will do ?

Thank you !

• Like 1

I'm confused, other than the app and usb where's the 500 cost implication?

He's possibly referring to the cost of buying a compatible phone that will work with Mirrorlink.

He's possibly referring to the cost of buying a compatible phone that will work with Mirrorlink.

Indeed I am.

Another member on here has just purchased a Sony Experia z3 at a cost of £450, then the Sygic app at a further cost of £73.

Practically double the price of the integrated Amundsen system that is now available for £275.

I am aware that you could go the contract route for the phones, but still would be £25-£30 odd a month for the contract, so it's as broad as it is long really.

I have also emailed Watchdog as follows

"Can I also add my voice to the other emails you will have received regarding the Fabia MK III.

When I placed my order I specifically asked my dealer if Mirror Link was compatible with Apple iPhones.

I was told there was a problem but my dealer had been told by Skoda UK that a down-loadable update would be available for all pre week 22 build

From the information I have now found on the web and the Briskoda Forums this is not the case.

I believe that Skoda UK have miss sold and may well be in breach of Trading Standards Legislation as the information in the sales literature lead prospective owners to believe that Mirror Link was compatible with any Smart Phone.

I might add that Skoda UK did have a Webpage that gave information on compatible smart phones, but the information was only available if you knew the VIN number which would not be known until after the cart was delivered.

I do not attach any blame to the dealer who I purchased the car from as I believe they were also mislead by Skoda UK.

The bottom line is what are Skoda UK going do to recover consumer confidence and to recompense Fabia MK III owners who have been misled of which I am one?"

John

Put a note on Skoda's UK Facebook page re mirror link on 12 May asking how far up the management chain our complaints were being past and that the installation of new radio/satnav must have been taken at a senior management level, suggested complaints should be made directly to Skoda. I did get an almost instant reply saying they were looking in to it. I have looked today and unable to find the note I wrote, are Skoda removing adverse comments or am I looking in the wrong place

Edited by JoePeddos

There are some left on face book or at least yesterday I've put a couple on more on twitter. Not expecting a reply ,when I get my car I shall contact watchdog etc

I'm afraid to say that I believe that we are all in dreamland if we believe that Skoda will come good on this to those of us who already have the Mk3. I am of the opinion that Skoda just don't really care about their customers, regardless of how many official complaints are made. I am more than willing to be proven wrong though. This is my 6th Skoda and to be honest I really like the car, however the issue with Amundsen sat nav now being available only 2 months after I bought the car really annoys me. Car of the Year 2015? More like **** up of the Year.

• Like 3

So how different is the Amundsen system compared to the Bolero? Is it just the built in sat nav or something more?

Would it be possible to have the new one fitted in the place of Bolero (and pay for it)? I'm wondering whether it's all worth it...

IMHO it is not worth it. If I could move back in time I would order Swing instead of Bolero and them replaces it with some Android based unit made in China when it is available (unfortunately there is no such unit ready yet).

Edited by pab567
  • Like 1

I have been told two things today, Skoda UK on Twitter say they are working on it still . Customer services are saying mirrorlink will not work with IPhone duh tell me something i don't already know [emoji35]they then say smartlink cannot be retro fitted to my car and sygic will not work thought blue tooth. But here is the big point Mirrorlink is not a Skoda product so this does not constitute a defect with the car . I read in to that they that are doing absolutely nothing about it and trying wriggle out of it all together!!!!

I have been told two things today, Skoda UK on Twitter say they are working on it still . Customer services are saying mirrorlink will not work with IPhone duh tell me something i don't already know [emoji35]they then say smartlink cannot be retro fitted to my car and sygic will not work thought blue tooth. But here is the big point Mirrorlink is not a Skoda product so this does not constitute a defect with the car . I read in to that they that are doing absolutely nothing about it and trying wriggle out of it all together!!!!

Mirrorlink is not defective, just poorly perceived and executed.

We are however customers of Skoda, and not Mirrorlink, so whether they like it or not it is Skoda's problem.

I'm just quoting what customer service said today Kev ,but since then Skoda UK on Twitter are asking for my number to help sort this out . I totally agree you though it is their problem . My car has arrived at the dealers today so that's why they want to talk and plus the fact they probably want to shut me up.