Twin Rear Foglights Enabled on a Facelift

Well done Eddie - I can see your assistance may well be sought out by a good few people in the near future as you seem to have conquered one of the last 'problem' areas with the FL! :thumbup:

BTW, what's VCP?

I popped into see Ed earlier tonight and I'm also happy to confirm that it's completely possible with a FL via VCP. It won't be possible via VCDS unless they add more functionally unfortunately.

post-121621-0-75251800-1432932953_thumb.png

• Like 1

Just yesterday I swapped my headlights over to LHD ones and ran a crossover cable to switch the rear fog light to the left.

I think I will have to get both fog lights enabled as it looks so much better!

Can't say the different profile made too much difference, I'd say its more assisted at lower speeds and there is probably a little more feedback when on rough road surfaces. Certainly no obvious problems at least!

Then again, I can't say I did any spirited driving last night as the 60mpg+ can attest to.

Can't say the different profile made too much difference, I'd say its more assisted at lower speeds and there is probably a little more feedback when on rough road surfaces. Certainly no obvious problems at least!

Then again, I can't say I did any spirited driving last night as the 60mpg+ can attest to.

Wrong thread?

Pre FL can be done with VCDS very easily.

Something changed in the FL controllers that prevented VCDS from being able to do it.

Obviously Eddie has access to the right tools and the time to put into trying it on a FL.

When are Ross Tech going to start including the elusive golden egg of byte 18 coding in the mainstream VCDS product?

Looks like VCP have cracked it & are putting Ross Tech in second place on this one.

Have they become complacent? With apps like Carista being more accessible & cheaper it could leave Ross Tech a victim of their own success...

Byte 18 is just one part of this, it's actually some 47 bytes (if my understanding is correct) that control which lights come on for each function, their brightness and if diagnostics are enabled - at least for PQ35 based cars.

There is a thread here of someone asking for VCDS to add support but they don't seem too interested: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1278-New-functionality-of-VCDS

Not sure if we can get them more interested in at least supporting the ability for light config on these cars, even if they refuse to go the full way for direct eeprom access or flashing new software revisions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found this can be enabled with Carista. Is it just a case of fitting a bulb once enabled?

As you are the owner of a 2008 car, you shouldn't have a problem anyway. It was just from the FL that the 'problem' started.

The bulb will already be fitted.

As you are the owner of a 2008 car, you shouldn't have a problem anyway. It was just from the FL that the 'problem' started.

The bulb will already be fitted.

Just double checked it says rear fogs on/off mine are now set to on. Although only 1 bulb on. Will check tomorrow to see if another is fitted

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Just double checked it says rear fogs on/off mine are now set to on. Although only 1 bulb on. Will check tomorrow to see if another is fitted

Don't forget that's with the caveat that Carista is as good as VCDS with regard to that particular change.

I'm sure that people would be interested to know (in another thread) what things it's actually capable of.