Highest 1.2 DSG mileage yet without DSG issues?

Zib

We sometimes get references to longevity issues with the 7 speed dry DSG fitted to the 1.2 Yeti, but I was wondering what sort of mileages people have reached without any DSG issues?

I've covered 30,000 miles in just over 2.5 years and it's been fine, but that's relatively low (although higher than I was anticipating at purchase).

There is the issue that means VW / Skoda / Audi /Seat have a Service Campaign on the DQ200 7Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG,

there were also Clutch Pack failure issues, which should have been addressed,

but what are the longevity issues?

Has your DSG been in for the Service Campaign Field Action to change the Synthetic Oil for Mineral and do a Software Update.

or did it not require this?

I'm not thinking of specific issues, rather, to ask what sort of mileages Yeti owners have achieved in their DSGs.

• Like 1

Hi. This is my first post so first of all I'd like to say hello. I'm interested in responses to this. I own a 1.2 DSG and do about 15k per year. I don't have any concerns about it working into high mileage a but am worried about the effect on value and am wondering if I should change it sooner rather than later

Welcome to the forum.

The same DQ200 DSG has been in the 180 ps 1.4 TSI Seat Ibiza & Skoda MK2 Fabia's for 5 years now

& in cars where they have done over 100,000 miles without any issues with the DSG.

There were problems with some of these boxes & the Clutch Packs & Mechatronic Control Units, but this should have been picked 

up by now and resolved under Warranty, and since there was a World Wide Recall excluding Europe, and Extended Warranties Excluding Europe, but Service Campaigns in Europe,   VW / Skoda will be having to keep up Good will gestures in Europe far into the future with the DSG they Produced and sold.

There has been no effect on the residual values due to being a DSG Vehicle, and there is no reason why there should be.

I'm pretty sure the problems out here were associated with the trans. ECU having a plastic body which IIRC was replaced with metal ones under warranty after a disastrous VW attempt to ignore, then after a coronial inquest, as a result of a woman being killed by a truck (after a 'box of neutrals' in the outside lane) they had to fess up.

Maybe read up on that.

She was driving a 'VW Golf with a Manual Gearbox' not VW Golf with DSG. 

& the Engine Cut Out issue in Australia is covered in the Reporting of the Incident and the Coroners Court Report.

I Believe the Family have managed to get the Case reopened to be reviewed.

As to the DSG recall in Australia & Service Campaign in New Zealand, there is plenty on that with a google.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/333042-think-dresden-mid-february-1945-vw-australia-dsg-recall

Maybe there is more recent than this around.

http://abc.net.au/news/2014-08-21/family-wins-review-of-vw-golf-crash-death-inquest/5686876

Foot of the article says the car was a Manual and not part of the DSG Recall.

(a bit of confusion still here,

was it a diesel or a petrol engine car., and did the boyfriend say it had a full tank of petrol or did he say fuel?)

Edited by goneoffSKi

It was a pr disaster for VW and they've bent over backwards to try and recover.

There is was a period when it was believed that German cars were simply superior to everything else on the road but that was a long time ago now.....at least in terms of reliability.

Another Major PR Disaster is coming up for the Volkswagen Group in the UK this week  with the BBC Watchdog featuring the Audi 2.0 TFSI Engines High Oil Consumption Issue and engine failures,

& hopefully if the owners of failing 1.4 TSI / TFSI engines have been in contact with the BBC, they will be mentioned.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

Keep them in the dark and shovel them with sharn.

Just using this link as an example.

Engine in Production for over 5 years as a Euro 5. 

Revised in 2012, and yet only this week Owners are still having issues, cars now out of Warranty and VW never accepted publicly there were issues, you need a Link like this to show the Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component Choice & Quality Control Issues.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

It's a 'point of difference' thing with VAG in particular in that to keep an edge over the Asians in particular, they push the electro-mechanical boundaries.......a reliable reputation is something Toyota, Honda etc aren't prepared to risk, particularly when production comes from cheap labour 'offshore' factories.

Sorry but Confused now.

Honda, Suzuki, Hyundai / Kia , Nissan etc build cars in Europe / UK.

the Volkswagen Group (Volkswagen / Audi)

Build in plants in South America, South Africa, Asia / China etc and have major Quality Control Issues.

• Like 1

Asians tend to stick to conservative engineering which is not as risky when translated to overseas production sites such as Thailand with which we have an FTA....they are completely 'risk averse' when it comes to their enviable reliability reputation.

We 'sophisticates' would say they're boring though.....we're punters.

Or they build to suit the World Region Conditions, Roads, Climate & Environment.

Location Location Location.

What people want, need and can afford.

& then VWG do things like put Synthetic Oil in a Sealed for life Automated Manual Gearbox and then find there can be corrosion and failures 

and they cover up the extent of the Issue until Government Agencies or Courts are threatening the Profits and Act.

So they change to Mineral Oil, and extend Warranties where they are going to be financially hardest hit.

Never happens to them in the EU / UK though, they are too powerful and too big an advertiser in UK Media Publications.

Service Campaign, Secret Service Campaigns and no Recalls unless they really really can not persuade VOSA / DfT that it is 

not a 'Safety Critical' or Potentially 'Safety Critical' Design or Production Failure.

If you've been given a first class ticket to Europe and all expenses during our winter to road test the latest hi tech car you're not likely to raise the subject of long term reliability ......not if you want to keep that sort of lifestyle.

I remember mags such as Road and Track which had amazing technical detail, even relating to an engine wear index.

These days it's lazy journalistic(?) fluff straight from the sales brochure and 0 - 60 times, as if that's relevant anyone beyond the pimples stage.....now I must calm down again!

It doesn't appear that any of the above (or anyone else for that matter) have answered the question asked.  I can't because I didn't have a DSG equipped Yeti! 

• Like 2

Hi. This is my first post so first of all I'd like to say hello. I'm interested in responses to this. I own a 1.2 DSG and do about 15k per year. I don't have any concerns about it working into high mileage a but am worried about the effect on value and am wondering if I should change it sooner rather than later

You'll almost certainly lose more money changing it earlier than keeping it for a high mileage, unless the gearbox needs expensive repairs.  I asked my original question because some posters have expressed concerns about DSG longevity (usually cropping up in extended warranty posts, for example), and I merely wondered what distances the DSG-Yetis have achieved so far.

Hello

My 2010 Yeti was bought 2.5yrs ago with 22k on the clock. Since then it's had a new timing chain plus bits. Today a Skoda Tech took it for a test drive and informed me I need to book it in for the Dsg box to be looked at and the Timing chain. Apparantely only the top spkt was replaced with bits, but now there is a pack out so you can change the bttm spkt. The gear box had its recall to change the oil, there is has stated in other replies a Pack to upgrade the box and Skoda are doing this out of warranty as a good will gesture so I was informed. My car has just 34k on the clock which worries me slightly what will the components be like after 65k. But in fairness its a dam good box and for a car of its size an excellent engine. Shame the thing needs an oil tanker parked on your drive so I can keep topping up the sump.

Hope this is of some help

• Like 1

Hello

My 2010 Yeti was bought 2.5yrs ago with 22k on the clock. Since then it's had a new timing chain plus bits. Today a Skoda Tech took it for a test drive and informed me I need to book it in for the Dsg box to be looked at and the Timing chain. Apparantely only the top spkt was replaced with bits, but now there is a pack out so you can change the bttm spkt. The gear box had its recall to change the oil, there is has stated in other replies a Pack to upgrade the box and Skoda are doing this out of warranty as a good will gesture so I was informed. My car has just 34k on the clock which worries me slightly what will the components be like after 65k. But in fairness its a dam good box and for a car of its size an excellent engine. Shame the thing needs an oil tanker parked on your drive so I can keep topping up the sump.

So what WOULD represent a REAL problem?

The 6 Speed Wet DSG that has a Service Schedule / Guidelines

&

the 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch boxes are very different in many ways.

The DQ200 is Subject to a 'Service Campaign' and field work in the EU / UK.

VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat never did a 'Recall' in the UK on them, they contacted Registered Keepers they had Contact Details for in many cases,

they never got Registered Keepers Details from the DVLA after doing a VOSA Recall Request, so many DSG Boxes may not have had the Service Campaign work done.

?

Can anyone just say how many trouble free miles their Yeti has covered that has a DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch Box.?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More yeti problems

The car coughed spluttered and I pulled over. The AA called fault code P030300 its No 3 cylinder changed the plug same fault, pressure test all ok. Towed to my local Skoda dealer Westovers Bournemouth, the charged me £96 to tell me its the HT lead, it will be here tomorrow the next day came but not the right part, so I begged lifts to work while I waited.

Took my car today to get the clutch upgrade and another new timing chain etc to be fitted today. Have to go back in 2 days time Westover didnt know I was coming in and didnt have a car which was all booked in 3 wks prior. Lets hope the workmanship is better than the service. SHOULD I THEN GET RID OF MY LESS THAN 35K YETI BEFORE ANY MORE FAULTS OCCUR ?

Views welcome

Hello

I had to keep a check on my oil level too, Then I had a new engine fitted under warranty about 3 months ago and it hasn't used a drop since!

More yeti problems

The car coughed spluttered and I pulled over. The AA called fault code P030300 its No 3 cylinder changed the plug same fault, pressure test all ok. Towed to my local Skoda dealer Westovers Bournemouth, the charged me £96 to tell me its the HT lead, it will be here tomorrow the next day came but not the right part, so I begged lifts to work while I waited.

Took my car today to get the clutch upgrade and another new timing chain etc to be fitted today. Have to go back in 2 days time Westover didnt know I was coming in and didnt have a car which was all booked in 3 wks prior. Lets hope the workmanship is better than the service. SHOULD I THEN GET RID OF MY LESS THAN 35K YETI BEFORE ANY MORE FAULTS OCCUR ?

Views welcome

I thought the HT lead was a known fault? On second thoughts it's probably known on Briskoda but not by Skoda UK. :devil:

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update on my Yeti

Received the car back, shall I mention I booked my car in with dealer, 3 weeks later I turned up on a Monday morning expecting a prearranged loan car. Guess what, "you want to book your car in sir" NO its booked in has been for 3 weeks now "OH" we dont have a car so 3 days later I take it back.

The work was done, the car was as I left it dirty.

Ive driven it around this weekend at a steady pace using dual carriageways and A roads I managed 51 to the gallon ( ok I was using it in manual ) im happy with that.

Guess what, I noticed an oil deposit where its parked, its only appeared since the new timing chain/ gearbox work.

So back to the garage, I wasnt chancing a loan car again. Greeted with you want to book your car in ☆☆☆☆☆NO its booked in today so whats the problem ☆☆☆☆☆ask him he booked it in look on your computer

We got there in the end yipee.

A phone call--its Skoda oh yipee its fixed? No the oil is leaking fron the crankcase seal. Ok but it wasnt until you had it. Please send us a copy of the repair work carried out from the 1st timing chain replacement please sir.

So tomorrow I will find out what it will cost me I expect ?

YETI FOR SALE, FULLY SERVICED, NEW GOOD YEAR BLUE RESPONSE TYRES. One careful owner.