2009 cr 170 tdi engine went pop, please help

Good evening, I have a 2009 cr tdi vrs estate.

On the way back from the lakes today, I had the car on cruise control @ 75mph and while climbing a hill on the A66 the car suddenly let out a massive cloud of smoke and then the engine died, I managed to roll the car to a safe place and then had a good look under the bonnet,

first I checked the timing belt= all good and tight,

I then removed the pipes to the turbo and had a quick feel= everything as it should be, no play and compressor wheel is fine.

Scanned the car and nothing???????

No oil or fluid where it should not be.

The dipstick oil looks normal

I put the car in 3rd gear and rocked it back a forth and could not get it to turn over, also all the electrics work fine.

Any ideas peeps??? the only thing I can think is a valve failure or worse

If I do have to replace the engine, any ideas of the full cost?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Take the alternator belt off and get a big bar and socket on crank pulley see if you can turn it over that way, but doesn't sound good mate :(

Its at a garage for them to have a look on Monday, its just I would like to know if there were any skoda recalls for this engine???, as they are usually solid.

Was there one for the oil pump??

If the engine stopped dead then it does not sound good.

My Freelander 2 had a catastrophic oil pump failure and my engine stopped dead, dipped the clutch and cruised to a lay by. On inspecting at a garage, lost both cams, most of the cam followers had to replace cam chain due to sudden stop plus new oil pump, had it rebuilt at a cost of nearly £2k

If the engine stopped dead then it does not sound good.

My Freelander 2 had a catastrophic oil pump failure and my engine stopped dead, dipped the clutch and cruised to a lay by. On inspecting at a garage, lost both cams, most of the cam followers had to replace cam chain due to sudden stop plus new oil pump, had it rebuilt at a cost of nearly £2k

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :(

If it is bad news, i have nearly a full CR engine from when mine failed. Will let them go cheap if you PM for bits. I have most of it left lol

I'll probably take you up on that, the garage will chat to me on Monday and then I'll get in contact. Thanks

I'll probably take you up on that, the garage will chat to me on Monday and then I'll get in contact. Thanks

No problem. Hopefully its something easy but doesnt sound good. My aux belt snapped and lifted timing belt. I didnt have time to check damage so bought a new engine. Stripped down mine and found the only dmgr was cam followers on exhaust side and valves on inlet. Everything else was fine, so i just stripped it down to sell on. (Which i havent done lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to rock a diesel in gear is going to be hard work.....could it just be that an Intercooler pipe has just blown off?

The other thing I have had happen on a Touran is the alternator nose pulley seized solid whilst driving along and locked the engine solid and caused it to stall. AA Man thought the engine had seized but unbelieveably was just that nose pulley, once my local Indi took a look at it.

• Like 1

Trying to rock a diesel in gear is going to be hard work.....could it just be that an Intercooler pipe has just blown off?

The other thing I have had happen on a Touran is the alternator nose pulley seized solid whilst driving along and locked the engine solid and caused it to stall. AA Man thought the engine had seized but unbelieveably was just that nose pulley, once my local Indi took a look at it.

I will be a happy boy indeed if it is just that, cheers

Well its fecked! Rebuild is on its way

I'm very sorry to hear that, I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as you were thinking - do they know what caused that to happen?

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear that, I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as you were thinking - do they know what caused that to happen?

The garage had a look today and took the glowplugs out to put a camera down but something was blocking the route, possibly a cylinder head :thumbdown:  he also poured water in and the water stayed put.

Luckly I have a very nice person pip_vrs who is helping me with parts from a donor engine! Brisk is part of the reason I keep buying Skodas :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Two valves have snapped off the little devils and in bedded in the piston, which in turn has scored the block and also taken out one of the injectors, it don't look pretty or cheap.

How long have you owned the car? how many miles has it covered?  Was the engine work done just before the previous owner sold it by any chance? i wonder if the cambelt had snapped & damaged the valves & the garage has done a cheap as possible get it going again job for the owner who has then sold it on/traded it in?

I've had the car 2-3 month, its done 122k but the first 90k was done in the first three years as it was used by an airport company.

The work was done just before the previous owner sold it but... it was a friend I bought it off and he told me all about the work and as such it was my call and I took a gamble that didn't pay-off, I don't believe he was in anyway acting untrustworthy or hiding anything.

I went to look at the engine with the head off last night and its a mess-

One inlet and one exhaust valve have snapped off on cylinder three and inbedded in the piston, which has then smashed the hell out of everything, including the injector and also sent pieces up through the broken inlet valve hole and into the next cylinder valve.

The garage has no idea how this has happened??? the turbo is fine as is the timing belt etc.

On a positive note-

I had been frantically looking for a CEGA engine, they are not cheap or easy to come by, the PD unit yes but not these and then the good lad pip_vrs offered up his 75K engine plus extras! I met him last night and took the whole kit for a good price! top lad and very helpful, I then dropped the engine off to my garage and he seemed pleased with it, so newer block, new injectors/ clutch/ fuel pump/ aircon regass etc all getting done at the same time.

Daft thing is, after all this, I still love the car and think its a good motor its just these things happen in life, hay hoo