Pickup restoration

I acquired a 2000 pickup a few months in need of a lot of TLC, my mechanic is starting work on the brakes which need a complete overhaul including replacing some pipes. I have read a number of posts about lowering the suspension I want to raise mine I have read about a guy who raised a combie by fitting Favorit shocks this worked because they were both coil over but the pickup has separate shocks and springs if anybody has got any ideas I would like to hear from them

I was tinkering with raising a pickup some time ago, I used the rear coils from a Ford Focus, they are about 50mm longer. Then a bracket on the rear axel to raise the mountinpoint for the shock.

• Like 1

Dampers don't control ride height, springs do.

So what you need (presumes coil springs, not leafs) is longer and/or higher rate springs to get an increased ride height. You may then need longer dampers or different brackets to avoid running out of rebound travel but that depends on how much you're raising.

Thank guys, I want to raise my pickup about 50mm , I was thinking of using the Favorit front shocks I believe the are the same with the spring mount in a different position to raise the car  ,I had sourced spacers for the rear shocks, but was not sure about the springs

I took them from a 2001 Focus estate. Might have some photos from it, will have a look when i get home from work. Don't have the parts on the car anymore, are tinkering with some new stuff on it right now.

Thanks for the photos Tech 1e,  love the raised version, how did raise your car, what shocks did you use did you do anything to the front and how did it handle,

You can tell I having messed with cars in 30 years so many questions

When i have a few minutes to spare i'll draw a sketch on the computer for you.

The springs took a few days of comparing mesurements and the Focus was the closest match that gave me the lift i wanted.

yhZWNf9.jpg

A= same width as dampermount on rear axle

B= hole same higth as dampermount on rear axle

C= enuff higth so damper can move freely

D= same width as damper

E= (hand was faster than head, should be center-center of holes) same as diffrence between stock coil and new

F= same length as dampermount on rear axle

Thanks for dwg I will need to consult with my mechanic

I have read on this forum of a guy who raised his combie by fitting Favorit  shocks he was doin a rally and wanted higher ground clearance, The Favorit was not popular hear in Ireland so I will look to pick up some second hand shocks on the net to investigate if this will work for the front

I will check if the rear shocks might work with the spring cups removed

I don't know, I am now starting to research the front I will post when I get any info, I went looking for the rear coils yesterday, the 01 Focus though a little longer the springs where not as thick and therefor would be softer and would sink under the weight but we did find the springs from a 11 model where longer and as thick will update when mechanic has a chance to fit

• 4 weeks later...

The Favorit shocks have spring plate mounted 2 cm higher, so you would gain 2 cm in height....

Thanks MTX

I have been trying to source shocks here in Ireland but no one stocks them they have to be ordered and I did not want to order until I knew they would work as there would be no return, I am still trying to source rear shocks or do I make up the extension bracket show above by

lahenvirta do you know a reliable supplier on the web

I have been busy at work so have not checked in with my mechanic, must do that tonite

Rear shocks are completely different for favorit pick up and felicia pick up. Felicia pick up has springs detached from shocks and only way to go up is to get a longer spring.....or maybe try to order this http://tuning.autodoplnky.cz/st-suspensions/distancni-kit-zadni/st-suspensions-distancni-kit-pro-zvyseni-zadni-nap-s3015076

Edited by MTX

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...