vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

I just put another litre into mine at the weekend. This is the 2nd litre in 20,000 miles. Going by what some go you guys have said that seems pretty good. I had the breather mod done around the 8,000 mile mark and this is the first I've had to top it up since then. Skoda did the consumption test described above and were slightly coy about what they found. This was done in Spain where I bought the car. Since then I've moved to England. 

The oil sprayers upgrade might help tie up the last of the consumption. I will take it to the dealer soon to enquire about that. Thanks guys!

I'm looking at swapping my Octavia blackline for a fabia vrs estate and would like to know if I can tell if the mod has been done by just looking in the engine bay in-case the salesman is not quite sure!? Thanks.

It had been using 1L of oil every 2000 to 5000km. I had the oil jet mod done about 1500km ago, and so far I can't see any used, so fingers crossed, the issue is sorted.

Hey...  wondering how this has progressed since then. After yesterday I have reason to believe my CAVE engine has the oil issue after having never used a drop previously.

Hey...  wondering how this has progressed since then. After yesterday I have reason to believe my CAVE engine has the oil issue after having never used a drop previously.

Sorry, missed this previously.... I put in about 200ml at one stage (just because I knew where the "full" mark is), and there was a service after that, so the level may have been down a little bit. But over 3700km that's it. At worst I'd say it's around 1L/10000km, which is half the amount of what was previously the best result I was getting.

Edited by OzFabia

• 2 weeks later...

hi some vrs owners have said that thay use up to 1 .5 lt of oil every 1000 miles mine is on a64 plate ihave done 9814 miles and have not put a drop of oil in had 1st services done to day  changed oil but oil level was ok before change

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from post #7

21135 miles covered and the oil is still just above the hatched area of the dipstick. No perceivable change there. 

No oil spots across the back of the car.

Still no misfires or engine lights since the fix.

Done a couple of long trips over the summer but its still mainly covering short journeys around town.

Bad news, +1.5 litres added... 21735m city commuting.

I even looked under the car to see if it was leaking, what an idiot!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, +1.5 litres added... 21735m city commuting.

I even looked under the car to see if it was leaking, what an idiot!

Earlier you said "A 12v data logger was fitted at the start of the test and logged 166 key starts over 400 miles on its usual school, shopping and commuter rounds through the suburbs." so an average journey distance of less than 2½ miles!?

If that is the case, your engine probably never gets anywhere near normal operating temperature.

Also, I do have to wonder why you would want a vRS for those sort of trips?

vxh26, when you were looking to buy one, what was it to be used for?

Most years have 365 days, and it is just a Fabia with a 1390cc petrol engine with a Automated Manual gearbox.

Why would anyone not buy one as a family car or just as a car.?

Comes in 5 doors as a Hatch or as an Estate.

They are not supposed to be make of chocolate and highly strung making them not suitable for school runs or commuting.

YOU ARE BUYING THE RELIABILITY THAT YOU GET FROM THE VOLKSWAGEN GROUP AND THE VW COMPONENTS SHARED AND USED IN THE SISTER BRANDS, SKODA, SEAT & AUDI.

We were sometimes warned about Euro 5 Diesel engines, DPF's and re-generations and not being a good choice for 

those doing short journeys, but somehow nobody warned that a Volkswagen Built 1.4 TSI petrol Twincharger 132-136kW

might be a problem because VW built them with Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults and poor

Quality Control of Components.

Also that VWG would fail to be honest with buyers over issues for more than 5 years.

• Like 2

vxh26, when you were looking to buy one, what was it to be used for?

Most years have 365 days, and it is just a Fabia with a 1390cc petrol engine with a Automated Manual gearbox.

Why would anyone not buy one as a family car or just as a car.?

Comes in 5 doors as a Hatch or as an Estate.

They are not supposed to be make of chocolate and highly strung making them not suitable for school runs or commuting.

We were sometimes warned about Euro 5 Diesel engines, DPF's and re-generations and not being a good choice for 

those doing short journeys, but somehow nobody warned that a Volkswagen Built 1.4 TSI petrol Twincharger 132-136kW

might be a problem because VW built them with Fundamental Design & Manufacturing Faults and poor

Quality Control of Components.

Also that VWG would fail to be honest with buyers over issues for more than 5 years.

Well said George. It (the Fabia vRS) was never designed as a Grand Tourer), in fact it gets a little bit tedious on long journeys - what with the road noise & firm suspension. I would say the design concept was for small to medium length journeys, precisely the type of journey undertaken by BigEgit & in that role it is reasonable to expect oil consumption comparable with similar marques eg mini Cooper, Renault Clio,  Vauxhall Corsa VXR etc. Clearly with some owners that isn't the case!

In fact my own vRS is now giving cause for concern on the oil consumption front. No quantitative figures yet, but it's definitely on the increase.

I depart for Spain soon for Spain (can't afford the heating costs in the UK) -in the vRS - & I won't be back until February.

My warranty expires in early March, so would I be better registering my concern with the dealer now, or wait till I get back?

• Like 1

I would be raising a case now with Skoda UK while under the 'Manufacturers' 3 Year Warranty.

& then if an Oil Consumption test can not be done for a while, at least the concerns are logged.

Skoda and other VWG Official Dealerships workshops look like being a bit busy next year.

Actually a Dealership doing an Oil & Filter change and weighing the oil and seeing 

how you get on over your trip with the need to add oil or not would be a real world test,

a car should be able to travel in Europe without drinking oil at some ridiculous rate.

• Like 1

So the oil was fine then suddenly just dropped?

Exactly that, just dropped. Bit of a surprise really considering the level was stable for 3 months. Just gonna keep checking it for now.

Earlier you said "A 12v data logger was fitted at the start of the test and logged 166 key starts over 400 miles on its usual school, shopping and commuter rounds through the suburbs." so an average journey distance of less than 2½ miles!?

If that is the case, your engine probably never gets anywhere near normal operating temperature.

Also, I do have to wonder why you would want a vRS for those sort of trips?

We were running a 1.9TDi Altea for 7 years previously. A change in job and location meant we needed something better for the usage demands at replacement time. Off the very short list of cars we could afford that met the list of thing we needed the next car to be and do, the vRS fitted the requirements perfectly. Small, Petrol, Auto, 5Dr, in warranty, cheap parts, and more interesting in every way over a standard Silver Fiesta for the same age/miles/money.

You would be surprised how many key starts you make in a week with school runs, kids clubs, shopping etc. Oil temp still reaches 80 to 90'c even on our drive cycle.

Other than the oil issue and questionable headlight performance, there is nothing else I can complain about.

Besides, its flippin' ace to drive and never fails to make me smile, oil issue or not.

• Like 1

20151017_093717_zpsk49udjhq.jpg

Oil level now from 22732 to 25612 miles, nearly 3k done, this would have been about 5oo miles before oil jet work was done so pretty good really :-)

Level shown on the flat and cold engine

Below are after 500ml and 750ml have been added to bring back to normal level, gap between adding 500ml and 750ml was about 30 minutes to let oil settle before adding any more

20151017_103743_zpsge4ob8md.jpg

20151017_105220_zpsudrwmyhl.jpg

• Like 1

I feel that the following excellent post (by BonnevillevRS on typical Fabia vRS oil temperatures) taken from another thread justifies inclusion here. I have edited it slightly for brevity and relevance:

The minimum your oil temp will be on this engine is 90 °C as it is a coolant cooled heat exchanger, so when your coolant is 90 °C at idle your oil temp can only be as cool as 90°C if the heat exchanger is working at 100% efficiency.
<SNIP>
Oil temps lower than 110°C - 120°C on the road with good quality oil will not cause your engine to behave or wear any differently than oil temps at 90°C.....I would only start worrying if I were pulling temps towards 140°C+ on the road! Oil is a coolant as much as a lubricant and modern day oils are superb!

vxh26,

Great compilation.  but time you get some dipping, and measuring and experience of the Twinchargers.

Have you bought one yet, or driven more than a roadtest?

Sadly it has no relevance when it comes to the 1.4TSI Twincharger.

*Idle being something rather unimportant as you drive through air cooling the Radiator.*

(Oil is a coolant, and actually can be at a different temperature than the Pressurised Coolant, and often is.

Not only higher and needing cooled, but also cooler than the Liquid Coolant.)

1390cc engines producing 132-136 kw and to reduce the higher oil temperatures requires energy,

so keeping the Oil Cooler in the first place is well worth while.

Some modern day coolants can still be disappointing in some applications, 

and when you have a 1390 cc Turbo Charged & Super Charged Engine producing up to 200hp with 

only a 3.6 litres oil capacity, or sometimes as little in as 2 litres of oil with no 'Warning System', you want an oil that behaves very well.

Also when the Manufacturer used substandard Components and had Fundamental Design and Manufacturing 

issues, and Engine Management the 'Road Car' needs the correct oil, and best the correct quantity.

1.4 TSI Fabia Subjects & oil,

but not lots to do with Oil cooling and the 600 or 800 hp Octavia.

Most buyers of a Fabia mk2 vRS would be disappointed if it performed as poorly as this 0-70 mph. or 120 even.

Skoda / VW Gauges or Sensors must be wonky. !!!

post-86161-0-12879800-1445094908_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-48779600-1445094939_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-70669300-1445095007_thumb.jpg

Double page spread in the motoring section of today's Sunday Times on Audi oil-consumption issues - one owner complaining about having to top up every 1,000 miles... :D .

The ST obviously doesn't think the demographic of its readership includes many Skoda owners ;) .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many have gone on for a long time just topping up the oil.

Once you get to needing to put in 1 litre of oil every 3 tanks of fuel you are really needing to do something about it.

• Like 1

I've also noticed mileage intervals getting less and less between top ups, since took ownership Sept15. First top up 0.5l@680miles driving. Only managed 435miles this time. Using Castrol edge 5-30 Manufacturer Recommended. Pfft.

Edited by TopRavr

Maybe go over to 5w 40 Full Synthetic to VW502 00 next time you service it If changing oil every 10,000 miles or less.

How old a car, and how many miles covered.

(there are Oil user threads a plenty if you are looking at getting the Latest Oil Spray Jets done by Skoda under Warranty.)

Maybe go over to 5w 40 Full Synthetic to VW502 00 next time you service it If changing oil every 10,000 miles or less.

How old a car, and how many miles covered.

(there are Oil user threads a plenty if you are looking at getting the Latest Oil Spray Jets done by Skoda under Warranty.)

Hi thanks. Service due Jan16. It's early 2010 (56500).
  • Like 1

I've also noticed mileage intervals getting less and less between top ups, since took ownership Sept15. First top up 0.5l@680miles driving. Only managed 435miles this time. Using Castrol edge 5-30 Manufacturer Recommended. Pfft.

Can you describe what sort of journey lengths you do? Distance, stop-go or steady speed, etc.

vxh26,

it is a 5 1/2 year old car with 56,500 miles, its using a bit much oil, but they sometimes do with shorter runs.

The 5W 40 Oil sometimes helps reduce the oil use.

If they use that much oil on longer runs there is an issue, but there is not much you can do with a 5 1/2 year old Twincharger with 56,500 

miles really other than top up the oil, and do not overfill.

• Like 1