vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

Alastair Stewart is no longer with Skoda UK. See the 'cave cthe just reply if you have had engine replaced. latest posts

See the new Skoda Brand Director. And get a customer services manager on the case.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm just on the verge of becoming a 2011 Fabia vRS owner, are the also plenty of good ones? Not that I dont trust the seller (although not met face to face yet) but this thread is scaring me!

He states it consumes about 1 litre a year (6000 miles) if this is the case should that be OK? I've had cars the used far more (TVRs).

Oh and can they 'go bad' at any point??

If it is a 2011 and uses 1 litre in 6,000 miles that sounds fine.

So how many miles has the car done?

Have you checked the History, any Warranty Work, Servicing done etc.

Has it had a Breather Update, Software Update, replacement engine, oil spray jets replaced or anything else.

The Majority on CAVE Engines, 2010-2012 are fine, or have been sorted out.

It would be good though if you can buy a Skoda Warranty for the next year if the car is Eligible.

ie, Service History as required and not remapped.

If it is a 2011 and uses 1 litre in 6,000 miles that sounds fine.

So how many miles has the car done?

Have you checked the History, any Warranty Work, Servicing done etc.

Has it had a Breather Update, Software Update, replacement engine, oil spray jets replaced or anything else.

The Majority on CAVE Engines, 2010-2012 are fine, or have been sorted out.

It would be good though if you can buy a Skoda Warranty for the next year if the car is Eligible.

ie, Service History as required and not remapped.

It's Andy3270's car - which has been remapped. Good history seems a great car.

• Like 1

Wonderful car.

Very very nippy.  If he says it is good then it will be.

Green with white roof and wheels, in middle of the picture.

post-86161-0-53752800-1460076937_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-47345200-1460077029_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How are members with oil jets fixed getting along now? I've done 7000 miles and used about 2250ml of oil since having mine done last July :-)

Has anyone had any problems since?

<SNIP> I've done 7000 miles and used about 2250ml of oil since having mine done last July :-) <SNIP>

That works out at 0.2 litres per 1,000 kilometres, well within limits.

Is this fix being applied to the VW Polo, Seat Ibiza and Audi A1 using the 1.4 litre Twincharger engine?

Oil spray jets have been getting replaced in some 1.4 TSI 132-136kw Twincharger Engines built between 2009-2014 as fitted to various VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda models around the world that have high oil consumption. Also Breather Pipe / Valve updates and Software Updates.

Not only where the engines have been consuming oil at 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles) but when using less oil than this but unacceptable amounts as accepted by the manufacturers and original manufacturer warranty provider and other warranty providers.

vxh26 / vxh28 maybe use your research and the posts in this thread you started and the other 'squirter threads' in Briskoda and other forums.

Mixed results seem to be the answer, as some engines that had Oil Spray Jets replaced then were removed from the vehicles and replacement engines installed.

You may well be right, 

but others have that had cars with Engine Management systems that were remapped and they got replacement engines under warranty with them making a contribution to the costs.

After all the engines had Fundamental Design, Manufacturing and Quality Control Failings and many standard ones failed because of these issues.

Your car had issues early on before the previous owner, and they were resolved, 

and now your car should be fine not running the Factory Software.

You are aware of the importance of using the best plugs, ignition coils, oil and fuel for your engine, you should have more peace of mind than many that bought a factory standard car that were only to be finding out the issues later.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 2 weeks later...

You are aware of the importance of using the best plugs, ignition coils, oil and fuel for your engine

I am now! I'm not going to skimp a single penny with this car...

Post #69 in this thread is the sort of experience many Twincharger Owners get with supposedly trained and Qualified Technicians.

No Fault Codes and No Mis-fires recorded so Spark Plugs must be OK.  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/34797-white-dove-carfiff/page-3

Mine had the oil jets & squirters done along with a software update (before I purchased the car), My car still uses oil about 0.4/0.5l in 700-900 miles which apparently accordingly to the dealer principal is within tolerances he and the technician both stated usage in these cars can be as high as 1litre to 600-800 miles can be normal usage, and the dealer principal said the car passed the oil consumption test after work had been carried out without issue. Both the dealer and SUK say that as the car is out of warranty, and had good will applied last year (to do the aforementioned work) the chances of getting further work done with good will won't happen, unless it can be proved that what they did last year caused any issue.

I'm monitoring oil usage at the minute, and if it gets worse I will get an oil comsumption test done, and take it from there, I would argue with SUK that the work carried out under warranty/good will last year should have fixed the issue etc, but after doing a little research before purchase I made sure I took out a very good warranty that covers pretty much everything, and specifically the engine and gearbox so I have that to fall back on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a 3 month debacle with VAG, I can now confirm that the remedial work SEEMS to have worked. The dealer had declined to carry out any work under warranty because of my modifications, ie Catback exhaust & ITG maxogen. Well I won that battle. (story yet to be told)

Previously I was using the best part of 2 litres per 1000KM, but now (according to the test), it's only 0.018 litres per 1000km, thats 100 times better.

Now I'm free from the shackles of warranty conditions, my vRS has started to breathe again. Back with the TMC box & the ITG Maxogen, I'd forgotten what performance was.

Wow. Amazing!

• Like 1

Let's hope that Skoda UK learn something from VAG Spain's remarkably tolerant attitude ;)

Can't wait to get a dig in can you? For your information, (not that it is any concern of yours), I spend my life living in Spain, the Uk, & Cyprus.

And further for your information, VAG completely covered my out of pocket costs & fixed the car to my satisfaction, in spite of you informing me, I wouldn't get anywhere with them!!

• Like 4

Just popping in to update briefly on our mk2 Vrs, April 2012 CAVE engine replaced in September 2014 @ 26,000 miles under warranty by Skoda UK. Those who have been around the forum for a while will know that we were using around a litre of oil every 700 miles prior to engine change, and we got 2 year extended warranty from date of fitting new engine free from Skoda as well.

Pleased to advise we have now done 24k on new engine with no oil usage whatseover, remarkable when compared to what had been going on. Delighted.

As a point of interest for at least one of the other owners above, our engine was replaced even though a custom exhaust and other mods were present, in fact the mechanics in the garage shouted over the other lads to listen to the rasp off the wee car compared to the standard one up on the ramp adjacent, and complimented us on the noise at handover. I suppose yet again this highlights the continued inconsistency across the dealer network when faced with the oil consumption issue, which by now everyone and their dog should know about.

Anyway, as I say, delighted to advise existing owners and indeed prospective owners that the fix does work, the cars are in the majority of cases excellent wee cars, very practical, reasonable running costs and can go when needed. Do your homework on the car, just as you would with any other, before buying and you should be fine.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just to say I'm now at 1 year and 2 days since the oil jets were replaced, just topped up again bringing the total oil used in the last 12 months/9000 miles to 2.75 litres, massive improvement on before  which was 18 litres over 22000 miles 

• Like 1

Still trying to get somewhere in oz, cars got just bit over 60,000km on the clock and top-ups would be around 25-30l :D Still under 500ml per 1000km but the ******s refuse to accept that the results vary depending on type of traffic.

Told em that next time we do one ill take a week of work and go spend 2-3hrs every morning and afternoon in peak hour traffic and see how the oil usage goes for the 1000km, Asked the question that would those results still be valid if im intentionally trying to make em higher?