vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

This is a serious bit of advice,.

Sell it or keep it for the future but don't use that cr4p in your engine.

Get some 5w 40 Full Synthetic VW502 00.

I dont really.

Well other than anything other than what has CASTROL on the bottle,

All good stuff from ASDA, or TESCO, COMMA or anyones that is 5w 40 FS to VW 502 00 if you want to reduce oil use in a Twincharger.

But i recommend not using 5w 30 FS Long Life VW504 00 like VW do, because that has certainly not helped the longevity of many Twinchargers,

Just like their recommended Spark Plugs.

If they had bothered to change the Servicing information and regime they might have had less engine failures.

• Like 1

I use Shell Ultra Helix 5w40:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68976-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-pure-plus-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-recommended-by-ferrari.aspx

I bought the above 4L + 1 FREE 1L bottle with pouch. The pouch is handy as it has velcro so you can stick it to the inside of the boot so you always have 1L handy.

Good oil, not caused me any problems.

• Like 1

Hello My 2010 Skoda Fabia CAVE VRS TSI (Factory Std no mods) has done 35,000 miles. Well looked after, 10 mile round trip to work and it has recently started using 0.5litre per 300miles and less (1 Fuel top up) Exhaust is black, Spark plug 3 + Coil pack replaced 6 months ago. The oil consumption has never been great but recently when the light came on i put in 250ml as service was due and it only lasted 63 miles before yellow light came back on again. My warranty run out Sep 2015, car bought second hand @ 10K miles from Muppetpoint (Motopoint)

Had M.O.T & service done Saturday at Skoda (£400) and Its now going down the oil consumption test today at my request at cost of £75. I asked them to just do the breather mod there and then, but weirdly they wouldnt even though i offered at my expense. They said @Skoda Colne it has to go down this specific Oil test procedure. The service guy who was very helpful said there  are 2 known fixes.

It was then he told me about the squirter fix and there would be some 'goodwill towards the fixes'

I Know the consumption test will fail as i have logged my own figures below, the car still 'performs' when i need it to really well. 

I use Castrol Edge 5W30 and Shell Nitro (99Ron)

My question is considering i am out of warranty what is the best case cost to me for both fixes (breather + Squirter), and is there anything else i should have done in tandem with these fixes? If i was in warranty i would push for 100% cost to Skoda. What is the best i can hope for now out of warranty?

I need the car to last another 2 years (Which is only 10,000 miles). I got the vibe that Skoda do want to actually fix this  issue as i pointed that when i trade this  in for an Octavia VRS in the future then this oil problem will pass to someone else and affect the next sale etc..

My Mileage / Oil

26/01/2016 Oil YELLOW Light @31800 miles = Add 1/2 Litre should last till 32425 (NO. as problem with spark plug)
25/02/2016 Oil YELLOW Light @32125 miles  Added 1/2 Litre
10/3/2016 EPC + Engine Control Light on. Problem Cylinder 3??? Misfiring.
11/3/2016 Burnt Out Spark Plug Cylinder 3. Replace spark plug and coil pack.MONITOR OIL AGAIN. 
21/3/2016 ECU upgraded Skoda. Oil 1/2 Way?  32250.
09/04/2016 Lasted to 32757 1/2 Litre added. 
06/05/2016 Lasted to 33048 1/2 Litre added. 291 miles 1/2 litre! short trips
06/06/2016 Lasted to 33362 1/2 Litre added. short trips
28/06/2016 Lasted to 33757 (395 miles ) 1/2 Litre Added
19/07/2016 Lasted to 34013 (256 miles) 1/2 Litre added
11/08/2016 Lasted to 34285(272 miles) 1/4 Litre added
15/08/2016 Lasted to 34348(63miles!) Add 1/4 Litre.

Service Due

thanks

Edited by Kobayashi

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt the Breather Mod even the mk2 Breather Mod, and New Oil Spray Jets and Software update will help with a 6 year old CAVE with 35,000 miles.

The 10 miles round trip really is an issue once you have an oil user.

Oil never up to heat, plug fouling etc. means high oil consumption gets worse. IME.

See how much the Goodwill is going to be though.

It is using a lot of oil though.

The software update should be done if it was not done while it was under the warranty, and Skoda should pay fully on that.

EDIT.

I SEE YOU HAD A SOFTWARE UPDATE IN MARCH & 1 Spark Plug & 1 Coil.

Did you pay for that, & why not 4 new plugs in even though only 1 was shot?

If they want lots of money to do the work then i would be putting in 4 New DENSO Plugs, 

a New Oil Filter and 5w 40 FS Oil.  and run it on Tesco Momentum not Shell V-Power Nitro +.(with its detergents.)

Total cost £100, and if there is no improvement then take the Goodwill offer maybe.

New Oil Spray Jets fitted and software update.

PLEASE GET THE OIL CONSUMPTION REPORT.

Oil weight at the start and finish of the test.

Miles covered and how much oil they say it uses over what equals to 1000 km (621 miles)

if the test does not get done over at least 621 miles.

Important you get this since you are paying for the Test.

Then we can see what is what.

*The official test requires them putting in New Oil and a Filter.*

They are not charging you anything like the amount other Main Dealers take for an Oil Consumption test.

post-86161-0-59191200-1471870731_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt the Breather Mod even the mk2 Breather Mod, and New Oil Spray Jets and Software update will help with a 6 year old CAVE with 35,000 miles.

:sweat:  Hope this is not the case, but  i am willing to try anything!

The 10 miles round trip really is an issue once you have an oil user.

Oil never up to heat, plug fouling etc. means high oil consumption gets worse. IME.

See how much the Goodwill is going to be though.

It is using a lot of oil though.

The software update should be done if it was not done while it was under the warranty, and Skoda should pay fully on that.

EDIT.

I SEE YOU HAD A SOFTWARE UPDATE IN MARCH & 1 Spark Plug & 1 Coil.

Did you pay for that, & why not 4 new plugs in even though only 1 was shot?

Only ever used local garage for service, was always wary of dealers garages, When spark plug 3 coil pack 3 failed guy advised to get ecu updated which he couldnt do...so off to skoda it was.

Skoda updated ECU or maybe they didnt do anything, all the engineer said was that it was the latest version This could be open to interpretation, latest being newest, or latest being latest for my car without any fixes. Maybe they didnt do anything and charge me £75... i should have asked revision level software...

If they want lots of money to do the work then i would be putting in 4 New DENSO Plugs, 

I will ask about this...

New Oil Filter and 5w 40 FS Oil.  and run it on Tesco Momentum not Shell V-Power Nitro +.(with its detergents.)

Tesco Momentum i will try if any fixes carried out or at least until this oil consumption test is finished. Im a full tank of Nitro so oil consumption test requires me to drive 200 miles

All filters oil, fuel, pollen just be done as major service.

Total cost £100, and if there is no improvement then take the Goodwill offer maybe.

New Oil Spray Jets fitted and software update.

#

Will report back, many thanks for the advice. I really want to keep this car. The battles with them audi's would not be the same in anything else :p

PLEASE GET THE OIL CONSUMPTION REPORT.

Oil weight at the start and finish of the test.

Miles covered and how much oil they say it uses over what equals to 1000 km (621 miles)

if the test does not get done over at least 621 miles.

Important you get this since you are paying for the Test.

Then we can see what is what.

*The official test requires them putting in New Oil and a Filter.*

They are not charging you anything like the amount other Main Dealers take for an Oil Consumption test.

Edited by Kobayashi

So they want the 300km test (186 miles).

If yours has been using so much oil then 200 miles shows it up rather easily.

That Report and invoice i posted has a big mistake in it, and the cars owner got a refund, and a new engine.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

i think i have read about this weight difference

So they want the 300km test (186 miles).

If yours has been using so much oil then 200 miles shows it up rather easily.

That Report and invoice i posted has a big mistake in it, and the cars owner got a refund, and a new engine.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Think i have read about this weight of oil in litres / grams conversion issue on a thread somewhere on here, I will insist on the report on mine. Another worrying thing, the 'drop off' guy has said they have put enough oil in to last 200 miles which i calculate roughly as 0.16 litres book spec. Considering before my latest service i put in 0.25l to get 63 miles i am not going to get very far....

There is a cheap / free test.

They tape the Filler cap & dip stick after checking the level, you drive 186 miles or even a tank full of fuel, 

then the check the dip stick.

If they are doing a Consumption test.

They have in 3.6 litres of oil,  drop it after the oil is hot, weight it, 

you drive 186 miles, or 200, they drop the hot oil and weigh it.

If they have not started with 3.6 litres and weighed it, then they are just playing at a test.

Even multiplying the 300km and getting the oil use of 1000 km is ridiculous, but that is what VW came up with.

My filler cap not been taped but the dipstick was right at the top (Cold check) I presume this is 3.6L worth of oil ?

Gave the car an absolute tanking last nite, 120mph incline uphill after a good 15 minute warm up. Oil temp got to 105C (highest ive ever seen it)

Ive done this same speed before same route & with my castrol edge never got above 98C.

Car actually performed well though it has just had full service.

I was expecting the dipstick to have dropped first thing this morning but the oil level is still at the top. Ive only done 50 miles though.

I let the car cool back down to 91C for 6 minutes then switched it off.

One thing is weird that the Skoda garage oil looks more runny (watery) than my Castrol Edge 5W30. The way it drips off the dipstick i can just tell.

Dont know what oil skoda have used for this test? When the car has hit 200 miles i have to take it back, so i will insist on report find out what there actual recorded method is for this weight check

• Like 1

Hi !

For my test (happening now), they did not tape the filler cap or dipstick, still I wont open the cap nor check the dipstick. They did not change the oil (oil was 1 week old Castrol edge 5w-30).

However the car does fill to pull harder (on all the rev-range) and the gearbox to shift smoother than before, I wonder if they did not update the ECUs without telling me...

Anyway, good news, the weather should be hot (30+) this week, this should increase oil consumption ;) and I have to drive a real 1000km.

Edited by Woland
  • Like 1

so many variables at stake - thinking about it i should have had this consumption test done BEFORE my skoda service unless they insist on 'service' before consumption test'.

It would definitely have failed off my readings. I wonder if this could skew other peoples readings? I mean your car cannot stay in that prime window of just being serviced and stay in that state even with my mileage of 4000 - 5000 per year. Less mileage and short trips oil below 70C does contribute to these oil burn issue's. 

I have a real feeling now from pushing it hard last night that it is going to pass the 'test', but will still be a oil burner in 4- 6 months time, the wife has got it today told her to get foot down, hot weather, stuck in traffic 60 mile round trip, fully expect that dipstick to come down by tomorrow morning! Holding off Audi's in wifes citigo is not easy.... 

• Like 1

I have been the carer of 'Oil Users' that were Rejects. that needed new engines supposedly.

It is amazing what a good oil filter, 5w 40 oil, and a software update or even stage 1 and a good thrashing with 99 or 102 ron fuel can do the get 

the head cleaner, valves. rings / scrapers clear and a car not using oil.

Put in DENSO plugs, the NGK are really really sh!te.

My son had my own vRS using 1.3 litres oil in 500 miles over 3 weeks of cold weather after an oil change.

I got it back, thrashed it stupid and it never used oil again.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Might have to try this. I've had the jets and breather mod (mark 2) done, and the oil use went right down to something like 1L per 8000km (from 1L per 3500km). Now it's gone up again, though I notice it's been higher since last year's service, when apparently the dealer put in Quantum Long Life oil. My wife managed to use 0.8L in 450km over a few months when I wasn't able to drive the car, mostly in short trips, though!!

I've found an independent VW mechanic who says he uses LiquiMoly where possible, so I might him and that oil a try.

What are you defining as "thrashed it stupid", George?

Edited by OzFabia

Well i am definitely ditching the Castrol edge 5w 30, spent too much on it over Last 4 years thinking the most expensive brand is the best. Gonna try the simple Tesco 5W40 stuff advised in earlier posts, when next yellow light comes on & go from there, though that Liquimoly description below sounds like the ideal thing for cold starters and turbochargers, thats if you believe it does everything it says on labels.

Synthoil High Tech 5W-40

Provides a stable lubricating film. 
Fully synthetic low-viscosity motor oil. Keeps oil consumption low. Guarantees maximum performance even with long oil-change intervals. Provides the ideal oil pressure under all operating conditions. Fast cold-start oiling provides excellent engine wear protection during the start and warm-up phase.

Intended use

All-year oil for gasoline and diesel engines. Tested safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers.

Specifications and approvals

ACEA A3 ; ACEA B4 ; API CF ; API SM

LIQUI MOLY also recommends this product for vehicles or assemblies for which the following specifications or original part numbers are required:
BMW Longlife-98 ; MB 229.3 ; Porsche A40 ; VW 502 00 ; VW 505 00

To me it is try to never give it full bean for about 10 miles from a cold start.

(UK cold start not Australian.)

So Oil indicated is above 50*oC, near 80-90*oC.

Then enjoy the car where possible to keep your licence.

If there is the chance get the oil hot, the engine hot for a good few miles before parking up, then the plugs are clean.

If commuting short trips dont pass a full week without getting the chance to have a bit of a hoon and get the engine heated up.

I just really am careful now of keeping the oil up where it should be and it is 5w 40, not 5w 30.

(i have run 4 litrers now for 2 years in various twinchargers and had no failures,or issues,  lower oil temps even for long periods of high speeds,

But this is a risk that someone needs to consider as the warnings are there. but the oil on a hot dip is not above the cross hatch,,

and you need to read up on it.)

Plenty dealers employees have been putting in 3.9 litres for the past few years.

4.2 litres is too much though, i have seen that being done.  

• Like 2

Hi folks, for what it's worth here's my latest story....

Car had oil breather, spray jets and Ecu update last week. Was refilled with fresh oil at the time too and was told to return the car after 186miles for consumption test.

After the oils was weighed I was reliably informed that the car was still using 3x the oil it should be 'within tolerance'.

So, was informed it needs a new engine! Waiting for any word on goodwill!

However, I'd been keeping an eye on the dipstick and the level hadn't budged!

At the time of the oil test I gave them a bottle of my 0w-40 Mobil 1 to refil the car with, which they did. (Instead of thier 0-30 that was put in when mods done). Again keepin a close eye on it the level hasn't budged, after 350miles so far.

To add to this the car no longer has soot spatters up the back of it or smokes like a diesel under load which it used to!?

I'll be up to 600+ miles by the end of the week. See what happens!

If I'm happy with the way it runs and isn't using oil now, sod the new engine until/if it goes pop.......

I am running denso plugs too!

• Like 3

You didn't happen to get the figures they used to get it to work out as using more than 1.5 litre of oil over 621 miles.

At least however they came to the conclusion it was a positive one for then accepting a failing engine for once.

So often the figures came out at 0.3 litres for 1000km from Official Test Results.

I've got the consumption figures at home- away this week... I'll get them up once I'm back!

I have to say the skoda dealership in Darlington I've dealt with have been brilliant! Only one who wanted to know when I walked in saying my car loves oil. Staff have been spot on!

As said I'll get the figures up when I've got them in front of me.

• Like 1

Update* Got to 200 miles oil not moved hardly mainly wife motorway driving, but rung skoda and manager now saying i was misinformed, i have to take the car back at 650 miles. This is fine as it is a better test.

But now he saying 1 Litre every 1000KM (621 miles) is acceptable which to me is 0.5L every 310 miles :wonder: (my car will pass this just about), I asked him to repeat it to make sure but he was adamant and has now halved the usage allowance on me.

I know Audi specify 0.5 litres of engine oil every 621 miles (1,000km) but does this apply to Skoda and in particular to my 2010 Cave VRS.

Does Skoda specify anything in writing anywhere. I will check the manual again tonight.

• Like 1