vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

You didn't happen to get the figures they used to get it to work out as using more than 1.5 litre of oil over 621 miles.

At least however they came to the conclusion it was a positive one for then accepting a failing engine for once.

So often the figures came out at 0.3 litres for 1000km from Official Test Results.

Morning folks- right I'm finally back in the land of the living with the paperwork in front of me!

After the oil test mentioned their findings are as follows-

Before oil in 4518G. After oil in 1126G. 345G difference after 207 miles.

Total 1.23 litres of oil used per 1000km- above limit- requires short engine replacement due to oistion rings allowing oil to pass.

That's a direct quote from the documentation given to me, and yes I know that weight equates to the engine being over filled with oil.

However, in reading previous posts I'd say they've just made up these numbers!

Thier test states what it does, but keeping an eye on things myself the oil is filled correctly and in 1000 miles the level hasn't moved.

This is now after the oil breather, spray and Ecu mods. The car also does not get the oil spatters up the back end the way it did before the mods.

Since the test I've been informed that Skoda UK will not give any 'good will' towards a new engine.....

Watch this space I guess, I'm running the car and it seems fine.

The test was done on thier 5-30 oil, but after oil draining I insisted they refilled with new 5-40 that I supplied.

That's the oil in the car now and it seems fine on that.

Edited by mac26
  • Like 1

Good luck with it.

Who ever did the test and admits to putting that much oil in is as good as admitting to the fact they could have Fc-uked the engine.

1 litre of oil @ 857 grams.  3.6 litres = 3085.2

so 4518 grams = 5.2 litres of oil.  Unless they say they weighed the container,  

then you would also weigh the container at the end of the test.

?????

What oil spatter up the back end?

Do you mean you had this over the back of the car having blown through a Cat and an exhaust system?

Not just soot leaving marks.

If the oil was going through like that from the engine a new Cat is also required.

PS

4518 grams to 1126 grams is 3,392 grams.   (even 4518 to 4126 is 392)

So more oil used than the engine should actually have in if there was no typos.

3,392 divided by 857 grams = 3.9 litres of oil used. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Yes, beg your pardon- meant to say it was soot marks up the back of the car.

Indeed, the figures quoted are all over the place!!!

I shall see what skoda UK come back with and take it from there.

I recon the figures are just made up by them.

Thanks.

Update*

545 Miles out of 621 completed so far, should be booking in Skoda Next Week

Hot dip (4mins after turn off) 1/4 from bottom (3/4 used?)

Cold Dip + 6 Hours, Exactly half way.

I am thinking if 420grams 500ml is the failure rate over 621miles (1000km), with still 76 miles of short trips to go; this is going to be a failure of the test. 

When i checked the dipstick at start of skoda test it looked if anything closed to overfilled. (A lot higher than i would ever put it as it was right up to the top of the orange blob)

Is half way cold dip stick about 500ml?

Hi All.

I haven't posted for a while. But an update.

63 plate CTHE VRS.

Currently on 68483miles.

Just seen a change of oil top up routine( normally it uses none)

Now

67142 oil dip at max

68483 oil at minimum

Had to top up with 1ltr.

I travel around 80miles a day on motorways, not much stop start.

Looks like it have to keep an eye on it.

Result in from Skoda 1.03Litres / 1000km so I am double over book spec. Manage to mow through 904 grams of oil in 643 miles = 1.07 Litres.

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3338-130.html

Basically 5 fixes are available for 2010 model. Not all these fixes would be applied to CTHE from the matrix I got to look quickly at.

The CAVE seems to have an extra 2 fixes (intake + fresh air fix)

1. Jet Squirter Fix

2. Breather Pipe

3. Intake fix ??

4. Fresh air fix??

5. ECU update for all the above

Manager wasn't available on holiday 2 weeks, so I have to wait for warranty guy to phone on Tuesday. Its now a case of agreeing % split for all the fixes.  

Was originally told would be some goodwill towards, so see what happens. Engineer said he has done 3 with all the above fixes with no further issues.

Also asked why the sheet looked 'doctored' and they said weight of canister was 688g. The result is believable and not unexpected. Staff were very helpful.

Will see what the cost is & my expected contribution, I am hopeful something has got to be better than nothing even if I half usage back to minimum book spec,

In 2 years I will have done another 8000 miles....taking me to 40k miles. By then i can get some £4K trade in by then for Octavia VRS. Just need it to last the next 2 years!

I can actually do nothing if its too much cost to me, Unless the car conks completely (it still performs and is a joy of a car)

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3341-131.html

Well the bill is in for the CAVE and is not cheap. £747.60  Not including the £75 already paid for 1st part consumption this is what you can expect to pay for a factory standard FABIA VRS CAVE that is out of warranty and burning oil.

The 'goodwill' promised by the previous service engineer now no longer works there. Was verbally told during service last month that would be refunded if consumption test was a fail & that there would be some 'good will' also applied to the fixes.

The guy in charge of warranty explained 5 years from registration date of Car was classed as goodwill. There is nothing after that, So It seems i  was 'mis-informed' as I am out by over a year of the goodwill.

I have a meeting with the manager when he is back from hols end of next week & I will be armed with everything I have learnt on this forum, but the sales girl said the 'fix' was not guaranteed & that it may lead to a new engine also at my cost! 

I still want the car fixing as I cant afford a new one but no way I am paying all that, jokingly  I asked the service girl engineer: is the car still drivable?

her reply: yeah mate just keep topping it up with oil! :doh:    

What is the £343.75 Labour for.   Is that for doing the Breather Pipe Mod.?

They charged for the Oil Consumption Test & the parts for that.

They charge for New Oil & Filter & Plug on the Consumption test, and they drain the Oil & should use a new filter and plug and many reuse that oil and top up 

any extra used.

They seem to be double charging there, but then they are taking the PITH anyway.

Did you decide that you were going to have the Breather Mod done, and is the Software Update done?

How much oil is it using now?

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Hi yes the labour quoted was for all the fixes combined. Do you think it sounds right 4.5 hours labour.

Also this may be cutting corners but could I just insist on the squirter fix. Stay off everything else? or would this not be advisable? I am all for permanent 4 or 5 fix if it solves but apparently it doesn't. So would squirter fix only be an option with update ECU FOR just that fix only?. Whats confusing is a lot people have got various engine builds with different fixes and who knows what ECU updates.

If there was a squirter fix + ECU to go with it I would rather reduce the bill this way than doing other fixes that didn't really solve it.

Edited by Kobayashi

See post #23 in this thread.

& that has been done to a 2013 CTHE that has a replacement engine.

So engine replaced and then new Oil Spray Jets. (squirters.)

Edited by Offski

If the Dealership Employee did a Oil Consumption test and report using the wrong quantity of Oil then the test was worthless and risked your engine, 

so they might well be due you a refund.

Send the Report to Skoda UK Customer Services if they do not have it, or ask them to have the technical department look at it.

If you had a CAVE that was using double what Skoda CZ (VW) try to say is acceptable then a Breather Mod and then Squirters replaced is basically money wasted.

When it was Skoda's / VW's money *Warranty work* then they could try cheap for them fixes,  they often did, then needed still to replace that engine eventually,

where a customer is paying it is ridiculous IMO.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

My Oil report was 2992 grams minus 2088, 904 grams used,  looking at the final figure posted in earlier picture these look believable

http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-3338-130.html

Have had the car 4 years, all short journeys some fast some slow, Apart from the blip with the coil pack & spark plug 3 & the oil carbonising car is actually running well

Not sure by doing nothing how long it will last before the whole engine carbonises! This is the risk against doing nothing, or doing something and wasting money and getting same results or worse.

Will see what the managers take on it is I have appointment face to face there next Friday so will know more then. I am sure I read on here someone with a CAVE has had success with the fixes but no need engine replacement. This would be light at the end of the tunnel for a lot of people.

I love the car that much I would be prepared to trade it in for exact same but CTHE with low mileage provided it wasn't a 'burner' but what dealer would admit to doing these fixes in the background, and would they FIX mine once traded ready for the next unassuming customer wanting a 2nd hand sporty run round.

All these questions I have for the manager face to face

Edited by Kobayashi

If they can put in 3.6 litres of oil which is 3085.2 grams, and then drain 2992 grams (3.49 litres) before the test starts that is different from 

other reports have shown.

It seems the wife's vRS is using a little oil but I don't think it is anything to worry about yet?

Just put in 0.5 liter ... it's done 800 miles. I checked it upon purchase and was full, checked today and just into the hatchlings mark.

It's a 2012 CAVE with 25,000 miles, I only run it on 99 RON but it does a lot of short journeys. I do give it a thrash every time I drive it.

• Like 1

Dont worry some use a bit of oil after an oil and filter change, especially if 5w 30 FS Long Life VW504 00 is used.

Next service maybe get 5w 40 FS VW502 00 in if it uses a bit of oil from now on.

• Like 2

Dont worry some use a bit of oil after an oil and filter change, especially if 5w 30 FS Long Life VW504 00 is used.

Next service maybe get 5w 40 FS VW502 00 in if it uses a bit of oil from now on.

I planned to put it into Skoda for a full service after Christmas just in case of any future issues. But I assume they would just use 5w 30 longlife...

They do, but they do not need to because you can say your car is on fixed servicing and VW 502 00 (5w 40 FS) is perfectly acceptable as you are not 

doing Variable / Flexible servicing so do not need Long Life oil, be it Quantum Long Life or any other brand..

(Some Reception desk staff might tell you that 5w 40 is Semi Synthetic and other such rubbish, which obviously VW 502 00 is not.)

<SNIP> I only run it on 99 RON but it does a lot of short journeys. I do give it a thrash every time I drive it.

As a matter of interest, why do you think that using 99 RON or giving your car a "thrash" every time you drive it would in any way reduce oil consumption?

By all accounts, 600 miles of short journeys will result in much higher oil consumption than two 300 mile journeys - which probably makes sense since in the former case the engine would rarely if ever be up to its ideal operating temperature and in the latter case, it would be at its ideal operating temperature almost all the time.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest, why do you think that using 99 RON or giving your car a "thrash" every time you drive it would in any way reduce oil consumption?

By all accounts, 600 miles of short journeys will result in much higher oil consumption than two 300 mile journeys - which probably makes sense since in the former case the engine would rarely if ever be up to its ideal operating temperature and in the latter case, it would be at its ideal operating temperature almost all the time.

The fuel type is irrelevant to oil consumption and meant to imply it is getting what Skoda recommend. I.e 98 ron fuel.

As for the occasional thrash with a hot engine this is to burn off condensation from short journeys and clean up anything coked up internally as evidenced by the exhaust tips ... I.e spark plugs, etc.

For example ... when spark plugs coke up due to the shorter journeys the plug tips run hotter causing hot spots in the cylinder head and is a key reason the tips of the plugs fall off ...

Preventive maintenance.

• Like 1