Change head gasket? Skoda Fabia 2002 1.4 8V MPI

Hello,

This is my first post here, but I have used this site many times before. Brilliant work!

I found the radiator fluid to have a weird color in the reservoir. I took it to a mechanic and his diagnosis was that I need to replace the head gasket? I also found a mushy thing deposited on the reservoir cap. 

IMG_20150613_112230.jpg?dl=0

I have some pics of the reservoir and the fluid as well below.

IMG_20150613_112242.jpg?dl=0

IMG_20150613_112329.jpg?dl=0

Should I get it checked for something else? Or will a coolant and a filter change fix this? The mechanic also said that this would require some work to be done on the engine block and his expected cost was around 500 pounds. That sounded too expensive to me. I have very little idea about this job, it would be great to hear from you guys!

Appreciate your ideas/comments.

Img1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukusqw7wih5e207/IMG_20150613_112230.jpg?dl=0

Img2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e68xtjjcr0i4ms6/IMG_20150613_112242.jpg?dl=0

Img3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m76mfyugnu2qnlm/IMG_20150613_112329.jpg?dl=0

/venky

Edited by venky123

Thanks for the response Tech1e. Much appreciated. Do you think that the mechanic's diagnosis is correct? I am in a new town and do not know other mechanics here. All that this guy looked at was the reservoir and the fluid in it. The car has done about 75K miles.

Thanks.

Have a look to see if your engine has the upgraded cylinder head gasket. If it has, you should see the marking 'TEMAC' in red letters on the corner of the gasket.

If it hasn't, it could be why it's failed.

7607665565.jpg

Non Temac gaskets are very prone to failure. But even the Temac ones go because they forgot to torque the heads down correctly at engine build.

That's nice to know. I'll wait for mine to go pop then.

That's nice to know. I'll wait for mine to go pop then.

Some do some don't. And I've not seen one 'pop' as in a rapid failure. Normally just notice a film on the top of the coolant in the header tank. But they are a piece of cake to do, did mine in my lunch hour at work..lol

• Like 1

I think it was already been replaced by the previous owner, but can't tell for sure at which mileage and/or the other details. I just hope the cylinder head has been resurfaced by a pro.

We've had issues with ours despite doing a head gasket change with a Temac one and torquing down the head bolts beyond the recommended settings.

That did reduce the amount of oil in the coolant, but not vice versa.

We seem to have fixed it now with some K-Seal in the coolant though.

It's been a month now and there is no sign of mayo on the oil filler cap or in the coolant.

Fingers crossed the car keeps going until SWMBO can afford a replacement.

Changing the head gasket without resurfacing the cylinder head is useless IMHO.

I checked my head and it was within tolerance. Changed the head gasket (along with plenty of others at the dealer) and had no further issues.

post-4839-0-89777700-1434362162_thumb.jpg

I've looked at that spot but couldn't see anything. I mean, the gasket isn't visible at all in my case. I was referring to a closer peek if it would be possible. :)

Took a pic of mine for you Alex...

003.jpg

• Like 1

As long as my coolant is still pink and the engine oil isn't white-yellow-ish I shouldn't be concerned, right ? :dull: 

Offtopic: I've noticed that my engine isn't sitting perfectly leveled with the rest of the car, I should check the mounts, are they failing or it's supposed to be like this ? It's pretty visible, with a difference of ~2 degrees compaired with the frame between the headlights.

I just did a compression test on mine, it's 14-14-12-14. How does this look for you? I've also replaced the sparkplugs(NGK). The old ones, same manufacturer/model, after 13.000miles, 1,2 were ok-ish, with a brown-ish color, but the spark plugs from cylinders 3&4 where pretty white-ish.

I do have a few warnings when I'm scannning it with VCDS, the pre-cat o2 sensor heater is faulty and another fuel trim error.