roomie roof rail retrofit

Wakey

Hi All. Ive been informed that we should get roof rails on the wifes roomster.

Im going to fit them myself. There seems to be two purchases required....the rails and a fitting kit.

Can anyone please tell me what is supplied in the fitting kit?

Many thanks

Hi Wakey,

I have just found the instruction booklet used by my dealer to retro-fit rails to my Roomy at a cost of £212 incl VAT.  

The first line of instructions (including bold print) reads:

The part "Roof Rails", ordering No. Skoda LAH 770 001, is intended solely for professional fitting by the contract partners of Skoda Auto.  The fitting requires the use of special tooling and Workshop Manuals; because of that, the part must not be sold to final users in a not mounted state.

As far as I can make out, the fitting kit (No. LAH 770 011) consists of:

1) template for drilling holes in the roof of the car

2) "centring pins" - which are used as templates to enlarge the drilled holes with a grinder

The instructions are a bit pidgin English and even I (as a retired engineer and craftsman) would want to practice this installation on a scrap car before attempting it on mine.

• Like 1

Found the same warning for my bumper protector moulding. My moulding fitted just fine so does that make me a contract partner of skoda LoL

Carefull though with the rails, measure several times and then measure again before drilling.

• Like 1

and use plenty of masking tape to mark the drill area 

use the best drill bits you can afford

don't allow the drill bit to overheat and kink the roof 

good luck bro 

Thank you all for the information and the warnings too!

Robjon - thanks for taking the time to dig out and write the info up 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Iv recently purchased the fitting kit and rails and after having a rummage through the box the £90 fitting kit is two pieces of plastic which lay on the roof with holes in to show where to drill. Im guessing the biggest job will be removing the roof lining

Pete - have a look at the "Pidgin English" instructions before you remove the roof lining.

The instructions left me with the impression the threaded receptors are already welded to the inside of the roof, so there is no need to remove the roof lining.  The two pieces of plastic enable you to drill the holes in line with the threaded receptors.

Have a read of the instructions and see if you agree.

• Like 1

I have just re-read the fitting instructions and can find no mention of removal of headlining.  However, the instructions include three separate sentences that suggest the threaded receptors are already fitted to the vehicle, making removal of headlining unnecessary.  I have reproduced the three sentences below:

"During the operation of drilling and grinding the holes, suck chips carefully, in order to avoid any damage to the paint of the vehicle body, as well as filings stuck in the threads of the nuts prepared for fastening the roof rails!"

"The drilled holes should be above the threads of the plates in the roof frame -detail-."

"During drilling, care to avoid a deformation of the vehicle roof, or a damage to the threads in the plates for fastening the rails under the roof frame."

Please draw your own conclusions!  :)

I am loving the sound of this! It was something i read on here that made me think the headlining had to come out.. To be honest I haven't had the time to have a proper look at the kit or read the instructions. Im glad you commented before i got handy with the socketset!!!

• Like 1

Ive decided to declare myself 'out' on this roofrail business.

It sounds like it has plenty of room to make a balls up.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you, Wakey.

At an all-in cost of £212 to have them fitted (and warranted) by a dealer, I wouldn't take the risk either.

Pete - good luck with yours.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

OK!!! Mine are done. No roof lining out.

Using the template drill through the roof, using the smaller black templates (each one is marked for which one hole) draw around and then open up the holes with a die grinder. The factory bolts are then visible and the rails simply bolt onto them. This is not a five minute job folks.

I now have a spare template kit available for purchase for the next person who fancies a go!! Pickup near gatwick. Cost me 90+vat. Ill take an offer and ill give advice on pickup.

• Like 2

Sounds interesting (although mine came with the rails), how do you treat the holes to stop rust spreading on both surfaces of the roof panel?

And what seals/gaskets do the rails sit on, and what do the fixings look like, presume there's a click-in cover that hides them?

Richard

• Like 1

Paint on bear steel. Wax to be belt and braces. Yeah theres a cover that clips in over the bolts.

Ordered black aero roof bars this evening so the kayak will be transported without using the dusty T5 workvan! Woohoo!

Ok so im a master carpenter by trade so being practical is my thing and having a engineer as a father also helps but when it comes to dicking around with computers im relatively useless... Im unsure how to upload photos but ill have a play after work tomorrow. And hopefully have a few photos to upload.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...