Veg oil in my 2001 TDi 90bhp Octavia-my Experiences so far..

My new to me 2001 Skoda Octavia has a 90bhp ALH engine and is completely stock.

It came with 3/4 a tank of Diesel, and I have just purchased 100L of 1 micron filtered WVO as well.

As soon as I get the brakes sorted I should be in a position to start running a full tank of diesel through to get a baseline mpg in normal use. The car has a 55l tank,and will be fully serviced prior to starting the experiment.

Then I will run a 20-25% (11-13.5l)wvo mix through and compare.

The next tank will be a 40-50% (22-27l) wvo mix.

Then 65-75% (35.5-41.25l)wvo mix.

Lastly i will try 85-90% (46.75-49.5l)wvo mix

If wvo cannot be sourced, I will substitute with fresh SVO as required.

I can keep a log of any running issues encountered, and mpg figures per tank, along with an understanding of external factors.

I will have a supply of fuel filters present to allow swapping out as the system initially gets used to the svo.

Dependant on my mileage I should have data complete within 3 months or so.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the start of this experiment.

Car had the brakes repaired and the tyres checked/properly inflated. I also checked the oil level and topped it up. A full service kit will be ordered this week.

To start off it was time for the baseline all derv tank:

I filled from just over half, and using the tank vent managed to fit in £29 @ 119.9/L (24.18l)

jaeKiYmv.jpg

G6BZYE8H.jpg

I then both readings on the trip computer (1&2) and took a leisurely drive home via a mix of Motorway/town and B roads..

Distance covered:

OIso02MW.jpg

Average speed:

1qQDUgUt.jpg

Predicted Range:

9nf4O5xV.jpg

Apparent average MPG(accuracy unknown):PzPgxvJX.jpg

I used to do it with my old van. I was working in a morrisons when they had a really good deal on drums of veggy. The store manager got a bit prissy with me when I parked in front of the shop and pumped 5 gallons in. :)

• Like 3

Woodie, I know nothing about cars running Veg oil. Can you go to the supermarket and fill up with Mazola or alike or will it cause tax duty on fuel issues

Hello chap. On older diesel engines you can get them to run on either SVO (straight (new) veg oil) or WVO(waste veg oil).

The amount each different engine can cope with is down to a number of factors (fuel pump type, fuel tank setup, filter issues etc) so it is worth researching your own particular engine before committing to try it. Winter can also mean the oil gets thick so I tend to run more Derv in the winter.

Legally you can use upto 2500L of veg oil per year before having to pay tax on it.

Oil can be sourced from a variety of places- SVO can be bought by the bottle from the supermarket-I can currently get 5L for £3.79 in Asda.

WVO needs to be de- watered and filtered before use- you can either buy a setup or buy some off of folk who do it (gumtree/fora are likely sources)

If your car can run it, its worth starting off at a low mix for a tank or two (20-25%) and then ramp it up. The veg cleans out the lines, and this can mean your fuel filter will block- so have some spare!

Hope that answers some of the questions?

• Like 2

I ran my 90 tdi polo on svo 100% in the summer .it ran fine and I never had any problems ,but since I've discovered the veg oil forum and theres more to it than you think ,I believe (this is from memory but is readly available on forum) you should adjust the pump timeing retarding it slightly to give it more time to burn as veg is less combustible than diesel ,that's why it makes the engine sound less diesely on veg . Id never used used oil it needs to be propely dryed and filtered ,when you way up the damage it could couse to the pump and injectors it ain't worth it . And new oil is around same most the time as diesel so savings are minimal realy .

Just my 2p worth

Jim dose smell nice tho

I ran my 90 tdi polo on svo 100% in the summer .it ran fine and I never had any problems ,but since I've discovered the veg oil forum and theres more to it than you think ,I believe (this is from memory but is readly available on forum) you should adjust the pump timeing retarding it slightly to give it more time to burn as veg is less combustible than diesel ,that's why it makes the engine sound less diesely on veg . Id never used used oil it needs to be propely dryed and filtered ,when you way up the damage it could couse to the pump and injectors it ain't worth it . And new oil is around same most the time as diesel so savings are minimal realy .

Just my 2p worth

Jim dose smell nice tho

Cheers for the heads up re the lift pump:)

I pay 79p a litre for new oil from ASDA, so about 40p/l less than pump derv about these parts.

Passed 100miles on this tank today- figures look fairly decent. Got some good runs about the place-70%motorway, 30% town

Tomorrow may kill them though, as it is a cold start hop to the station..

Mpg average:

vWFjw6z3.jpg

Miles:

TCA53GPp.jpg

Average speed:

VwAbZEfA.jpg

multi quote doesn't seem to work----he did  say  pump (timing) not lift pump   but raises the question of do you have a lift pump (in tank)  if not may be worth thinking of one as a major failure of "conventional" pumps with the thick stuff is their capacity to suck   NB I believe petrol pumps give a higher (too high?)  pressure than the diesels,  if you really like "messing"  try fitting a vac guage on the fuel line      also a pressure guage on the exhaust post turbo (use a longish copper tube to loose the heat before the plastic/nylon  have fun :nerd:  :sun:

Edited by cheshire cat

I used to run our previous Peugeot 306 1.9D on roughly a 50% mix of veg oil. Used to put in 30 litres of oil then top-up with diesel (60 litre tank).

It ran fine with no problems. Even drove to Winterberg in Germany during winter with a 50/50 mix in the tank. Overnight temperatures down below -16c and it started first turn of the key in the morning.

Phil

i have a 110 elegance and have been running on veg for around 6k before my turbo and engine went (not related to the veg)

in summer you can run 100% veg - in winter, its recommended to put in 5% unleaded to thin it out a bit.

i fitted an oil heater on my car to help thin it out.

JUST remember that when the vehicle is warmed up it will smell like a chippy and that's when the boys in blue catch you good luck

I'll be well within the 2500litre personal limit before any requirement to pay tax arises- so it makes no odds to the boys in blue

details here:

http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff

Edited by WoodieGuthrie
  • Like 1

JUST remember that when the vehicle is warmed up it will smell like a chippy and that's  when the boys in blue catch you good luck

Catch you doing what? It's perfectly legal!

you know what the police are like if the smell it and stop you they,ll be all over you like a rash as I good luck

What?! Good luck with what?

They can't do anything as it's legal!

you are allowed to use 2500 litres before you have to pay tax.  the veg has already had tax paid on in via vat.

its perfectly legal and there is even a few forums with people who run their cars on veg or biodiesel.

• Like 1

woodie - where abouts are you from? theres a few places up north selling it for £13 for 20 litres which is cheaper then what you are getting :)

I'm in glasgow.

got a service kit inc fuel filters on the way, and some WVO to get through(couple of blended tanks I reckon, before heavy wvo tanks)

79p/l for svo is no too bad from asda-where is the £13 for 20l fro?

wvo seems to be 35-50p per litre here, and if its happy on it then it'll do..