What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Clearly copied off the car thread, but it cant be a bad idea to have a bike version can it?

Booked the vfr in for a service today. Usually do it myself but like a professional to check over everything atleast once a year.

The shop wanted £85 for the spark plugs, wtf? So ive bought some off ebay (vfr vtecs can only have iridium plugs apparently) for £26 posted and ill do that myself.

Your turn? Anything?

• Like 1

I 'was' going to take it to work for the first time, but alas I ended up driving and getting caught in a que behind a funeral for 25 minutes 1 miles from work...... No one else in work rides bikes (not common in the area really) and they all state it's far too dangerous. I get searched every day when I leave with a metal detector wand thing and my leg Wolverine bikers leg keeps setting it off muwhahaha. Bike looked sad this evening when I was out patting it, so tomorrow it's going to get loud at the side of work where I have eyed up the one thing I can chain it to (big lamp post on a pavement)  :sun: It is national ride to work week after all! 

• Like 1

Minor service after a couple of td's, adjusted tyre pressures back to road settings, put mirrors and rear number plate hanger back on, tomorrow it'll get a tank of fuel, a quick blast and a wash.

• Like 1

Not to the bike but to the riding gear.  Cleaned mine and the Good Ladie's boots and leathers as they were well fly splattered and we are off out on it this afternoon for a bimble.  I shall clean it tomorrow then ready for Thursday when we are off to have a look at Chris Walker's new(ish) showroom in Grantham followed by cake here.

http://barrowbycakehole.co.uk/

Apparently well worth a visit but it may require a few more pounds in the back tyre when we have finished. :notme:

• Like 1

Not to the bike but to the riding gear.  Cleaned mine and the Good Ladie's boots and leathers as they were well fly splattered and we are off out on it this afternoon for a bimble.  I shall clean it tomorrow then ready for Thursday when we are off to have a look at Chris Walker's new(ish) showroom in Grantham followed by cake here.

http://barrowbycakehole.co.uk/

Apparently well worth a visit but it may require a few more pounds in the back tyre when we have finished. :notme:

So went to see Chris (The Stalker) Walker's showroom in Grantham today.  Three Triumph Tigers in a Kawasaki showroom car park.  Had a snack there and a very reasonably priced bacon can egg cob with a very hot mug of tea.  Nice little cafe area with one of Chris's ex race bikes and leathers (well scraped) made it very different.

Before we left the man himself came out to talk to us and had a piccie with us in front of the showroom.  Not fazed in the slightest that we were all on Triumphs as he said a bike is a bike.  Despite the fact he was just about to leave for Snetterton he took the time to chat with us and I have to say he is  a really nice bloke, amusing and down to earth.  I have watched him for years and thought he was quite a character and today showed that to be very true.  Smashing bloke and if anyone is in the Grantham area I would say it is well worth a visit.

post-127221-0-41200700-1434649774_thumb.jpg

post-127221-0-35640300-1434649943_thumb.jpg

Oh and the Cake Hole was well worth a visit as well.

So went to see Chris (The Stalker) Walker's showroom in Grantham today. Three Triumph Tigers in a Kawasaki showroom car park. Had a snack there and a very reasonably priced bacon can egg cob with a very hot mug of tea. Nice little cafe area with one of Chris's ex race bikes and leathers (well scraped) made it very different.

Before we left the man himself came out to talk to us and had a piccie with us in front of the showroom. Not fazed in the slightest that we were all on Triumphs as he said a bike is a bike. Despite the fact he was just about to leave for Snetterton he took the time to chat with us and I have to say he is a really nice bloke, amusing and down to earth. I have watched him for years and thought he was quite a character and today showed that to be very true. Smashing bloke and if anyone is in the Grantham area I would say it is well worth a visit.

11250994_715986188527608_8940156289531788135_n.jpg

11536148_715986195194274_8588071310674285995_n.jpg

Oh and the Cake Hole was well worth a visit as well.

Spot on

Sounds like a good trip out (:

Had the vfr serviced today. Oil, oil filter, cleaned air filter and a few other bits and bobs. Nothing i cant do myself but prefer a trained mechanic to look over my bikes now and again.

Found a few niggles. The sidestand had come loose and needed tightening, could of been bad if not caught!

And the chains got a tight spot, so having to order a new D.I.D chain

On the other hand the shop owner needs a plumbing job doing, so i can feel a deal coming on haha

Is it a VTEC VFR?  Never had the shims done on mine and got rid before I had to.  Mega expensive but then the workshop that used to look after mine had a contact with the Honda dealers who told them they had never had to do any in all the time of checking them.

Is it a VTEC VFR? Never had the shims done on mine and got rid before I had to. Mega expensive but then the workshop that used to look after mine had a contact with the Honda dealers who told them they had never had to do any in all the time of checking them.

It is mate. 2002 vtec

Yeah it is stupid money haha. Theyre sposed to be done every 16k miles, but every bike shop ive asked, main dealers, small shops the lot, has said they never need doing anyway. Ive searched around the vfr forums and most say dont do it, but some say just do it every 32k, No need at 16k.

Mines got 20k on it now n i havent had it done. If ive still got it at 32k ill have to think about it then haha.

Having said that, my local bike shop wanted £85 for the spark plugs. I thought that was rediculous so ive ordered NGK Iridium ones off ebay for £26 (i think the person bought the wrong ones so is selling on). Ill fit them myself (:

Its not exactly the cheapest bike to run tbh. Its abit **** on fuel too imo.

Yup had to have a set of plugs on a service but at the same time I needed a new rear shocker because the original had rotted out because I was too lazy to wash the salt off it.  Used to commute all year round.  Also needed a new rear tyre and an MOT and the total was four figures!

Biking isn't cheap nut at least I don't have to buy chains and sprockets now nor have to adjust and oil a chain. :clap:

Yup had to have a set of plugs on a service but at the same time I needed a new rear shocker because the original had rotted out because I was too lazy to wash the salt off it. Used to commute all year round. Also needed a new rear tyre and an MOT and the total was four figures!

Biking isn't cheap nut at least I don't have to buy chains and sprockets now nor have to adjust and oil a chain. :clap:

OUCH! Hmm how did you find it other than that? Many (hopefully trouble free) miles?

Im just a summer rider these days tbh. Since ive been lucky enough to drive a car too, i keep the bike parked up in winter. Im abit ocd too, so other than a few stone chips from the previous owner, it does look like new if im honest.

Oo something shaft drive then? Bmw?

OUCH! Hmm how did you find it other than that? Many (hopefully trouble free) miles?

Im just a summer rider these days tbh. Since ive been lucky enough to drive a car too, i keep the bike parked up in winter. Im abit ocd too, so other than a few stone chips from the previous owner, it does look like new if im honest.

Oo something shaft drive then? Bmw?

Loved it and it was my second one as I had a pre VTEC bought in 98 that I did four plus years on as an Instructor and it was a great tool for the job.  I replaced the VTEC with a Triumph Sprint GT as with all the luggage it was four grand cheaper.  I know some people went on about the bang when the second set of valves kicked in but to be honest I bet most riders ever noticed it because it didn't kick in until you had 6k on the rev counter and not many people wind their bikes up that far.  After that it just continued to drive forward pulling like a train.

I have done all of the cleaning a bike and not riding it if it looks like it is going to rain and then I have done the ride it in whatever is thrown at you and don't bother cleaning it.  As an Instructor out all hours the last thing I wanted to do when I got home after a long day was clean the bugger!  I am a bit better now and it is protected by the All Year Biker ECF50 spray and cleans up really easily.

No not BMW.  Check out the bit under my Avatar and the bit in the thread about today's trip to the Kawasaki showroom.

Loved it and it was my second one as I had a pre VTEC bought in 98 that I did four plus years on as an Instructor and it was a great tool for the job. I replaced the VTEC with a Triumph Sprint GT as with all the luggage it was four grand cheaper. I know some people went on about the bang when the second set of valves kicked in but to be honest I bet most riders ever noticed it because it didn't kick in until you had 6k on the rev counter and not many people wind their bikes up that far. After that it just continued to drive forward pulling like a train.

I have done all of the cleaning a bike and not riding it if it looks like it is going to rain and then I have done the ride it in whatever is thrown at you and don't bother cleaning it. As an Instructor out all hours the last thing I wanted to do when I got home after a long day was clean the bugger! I am a bit better now and it is protected by the All Year Biker ECF50 spray and cleans up really easily.

No not BMW. Check out the bit under my Avatar and the bit in the thread about today's trip to the Kawasaki showroom.

Thats the thing! If im doing 6,800rpm its usually because im getting a shift on, in which case the kick up the backside is welcome. Espscially when overtaking a fast overtake on a lorry or something.

The only time it bugs me is in the bends, when i wsnt to be cracking on and hovering around the midrange, the abruptness is abit of a pain. I usually short shift and use the lower done power because of this. Its far from gutless below vtec though tbf

Cant blame you for that tbh. Especially if its a job thing. Its abit different then isnt it. I just dont enioy riding in the bad weather haha. Im not too bad though. I will ride on wet summer days, but we get quite bad winters here so ice and snow is horrible. Acf 50 is brilliant mind!

Ooh yeah ive actually read your post on that and replied, then forgot id done so. Silly me hahaa

Edit. Using mobile version of the site too so didnt see the bike. I can see now though. Like the tiger?

Edited by fabiamk2SE

My main beef with the VFR was the throttle being lumpy coming back in from trailing in a tight turn.  So just when you wanted a bit of fine control it would come back in with a jerk and I ended up trying to sort it out with the clutch.

Have been in and out of bikes for years and when I finished with the Instructing I gave it up for years.  Just over 5 years ago I got back into it initially for commuting but my wife who had never been on a bike before loved it and still does and every chance she gets she is out on it with me.  She is in the picture with us and Chris.

I loved the Sprint GT and it was a better bike to ride than the VFR as it was more modern but the build quality isn't as good.  I chopped it in for the Tiger Explorer 1200 after the rotten sods lent me one when the Sprint was in for a service!  Love it to bits.  It has masses of power and  a great sound when you give it the beans.  I occasionally get numb bum on it  (did today) but in general it is comfy to ride and the upright sitting position suits me far better nowadays than a Sports Tourer.  Oh and I have I said I love it? :D:dance:

My main beef with the VFR was the throttle being lumpy coming back in from trailing in a tight turn. So just when you wanted a bit of fine control it would come back in with a jerk and I ended up trying to sort it out with the clutch.

Have been in and out of bikes for years and when I finished with the Instructing I gave it up for years. Just over 5 years ago I got back into it initially for commuting but my wife who had never been on a bike before loved it and still does and every chance she gets she is out on it with me. She is in the picture with us and Chris.

I loved the Sprint GT and it was a better bike to ride than the VFR as it was more modern but the build quality isn't as good. I chopped it in for the Tiger Explorer 1200 after the rotten sods lent me one when the Sprint was in for a service! Love it to bits. It has masses of power and a great sound when you give it the beans. I occasionally get numb bum on it (did today) but in general it is comfy to ride and the upright sitting position suits me far better nowadays than a Sports Tourer. Oh and I have I said I love it? :D:dance:

Yes! Thats what winds me up. Ill open up at low revs, maybe blipping past a car or something, ill shut off, open a tiny bit to take the edge off the engine braking and itll try to take off again. Quite frustrating, especially when you arent expecting it the first time it happens. Big heart stop moment if theres a car infront haha.

I dno how you gave up, i love it haha. Itd take a seriously good car for me to give up biking, like the 2012 GTR a mate had, but then i wouldnt be able to justify the running costs anyway haha.

Some angles i look at those sprint gt's and id have one tomorrow, but other angles i think they look cheap and strange. Its the only reason i havent got one tbh. Cos all the reviews rate the sprint over the VFR in nearly all departments iirc.

Ever thought of a sargeant seat or corbin for the tiger? Dads got a sargeant on his 2012 GS adventure and he can litterally sit on it all day. Hes come back from switzerland in a day 2 years back. 800-900 miles i think it was. Only time he stopped was for the ferry and when it needed fuel every 400 or so miles. But hes always been a big touring man, he doesnt bother taking the bike unless its atleast a few hundred miles.

I have a theory about the seat comfort.  Everywhere we go we find somewhere that does really good cake.  So eat enough of that and the padding will come to make it comfortable. :D   Mine is the heated and comfort seat.  It is adjustable in height front and back and the most comfortable position is with it on high at the front and low at the back.  It stops you sliding into the tank and damaging the jewels and for some reason it is more comfortable.  Only problem is I need to take the seat off to use the underseat helmet lock and I think I may have not got it back right.  So tomorrow clean it time again and check the seat out.

I could not give up riding now but after four years of instructing I was burnt out and wasn't enjoying it.  Even when I stopped instructing I just could not get into the riding for my self.  Now I love it and will be out on it far more now I have stopped work.

I have a theory about the seat comfort. Everywhere we go we find somewhere that does really good cake. So eat enough of that and the padding will come to make it comfortable. :D Mine is the heated and comfort seat. It is adjustable in height front and back and the most comfortable position is with it on high at the front and low at the back. It stops you sliding into the tank and damaging the jewels and for some reason it is more comfortable. Only problem is I need to take the seat off to use the underseat helmet lock and I think I may have not got it back right. So tomorrow clean it time again and check the seat out.

I could not give up riding now but after four years of instructing I was burnt out and wasn't enjoying it. Even when I stopped instructing I just could not get into the riding for my self. Now I love it and will be out on it far more now I have stopped work.

Hahaa. Im getting the inclin that you like cake mate! Ahaa.

Thats good. Not heard of a seat being adjustable front and back tbh! But i certainly know what you mean about the jewels hitting the tank. Its not pleasant. Most bikes ive ridden tend to send your *******s into the tank eventually aha. The seat thing sounds brill.

Its just so much fun isnt i. I wonder why ive got the vfr in town sometimes tbh. It can be snatchy, the weight doesnt bother me (despite thinking it might after an sv650s) but it the vfr gets soo hot.

Then i take it on a big fast run. I did 180miles on sunday and it just made so much sense. I can flick it around in the curves, use the power to effortlessly leave everything on the straights (i dont like bimbling around with the same cars, i do like to make progress though) and on the higher speedbits its just so stable.

But the fuel consumption isnt brilliant. Msybe 40mpg to this tank. What does the trumpet get?

Fitted a pair of Blaze soft panniers, ready for a long weekend watching the Tour de France in 3 weeks.

Looking forward to some nice smooth roads, and perhaps a bit of sunshine.

• Like 1

But the fuel consumption isnt brilliant. Msybe 40mpg to this tank. What does the trumpet get?

Sorry just seen this.  When I ride with some of the other RATS I am getting mid 50's.  When I ride on my own it is mid 40s!  Riding in a group isn't my thing to be honest and some of our Guys ride VERY slowly.  I don't go crackers and certainly ride with safety as a number one priority but I don't mind batting on a bit when it is safe hence the MPG suffers.

• Like 1

And today, in between all the car stuff, I found time to fit a LED tail light bulb.

Bright? The tail light is as bright as the OE brake light.

The brake light is, well..... Bright!!

Just got to source a number plate light now.